Arrows

300 spine axis 5mm, 75gr brass HIT, 125gr iron will solid blade, footers from elk river archery.

very versatile arrow that will put you in the 500gr range.

I haven't read a bad suggestion though, just giving my suggestion. don't overthink it, it's hard to find a bad choice these days, though I don't like FMJ's.... doesn't mean they are bad, I just don't like em.

BE rampage are great arrows too, as well as the gold tip hunter xt's… I have killed several elk with them. lots and lots of good options. I don't like any 4mm options unless you want to use the Valkyrie system, besides that they are more trouble than they are worth imo.

Sled

WKR
I've become a fan of the easton hexx w/ 50 or 75 gr inserts. they are strong and tune easy. if you want to spend less money, go with the store brand of gold tip hunters.

if you want slim, stay away from the FMJ's unless you only hunt with them. they bend at the sight of a strong breeze. the axis is a bit stronger but still weaker than a thicker shaft. i had some luck with the victory rip hv but they all needed a footer to attain the needed strength.

good luck with your search.

Usi05

WKR
Shot FMJ’s last year around 480 grains but wanted to go a bit lighter to gain speed.

Set up 12 Easton aftermaths and fletched and wrapped myself. I cut from both sides to improve straightness. Shot a few times during Michigan winter and love them.

Arrows will be around 440grains with footers and flying around 280fps.

I am also a 27.5 draw and didn’t want to lose all my speed shooting a 828373 grain arrow. I like a little bit lighter where I can also be off on yardage a bit and not miss completely.

Aftermath bareshafts are $65 on amazon for a dozen.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Some good thoughts already mentioned...however..I would take a couple months to shoot a few different setups and see what works best for your bow. Bows are built...arrows are tuned. Im a complete spazz about my arrows and spend more than most (both time and money) on my setup, but by the time July comes, I am extremely confident in flight/penetration/overall flight characteristics etc. I use an axis 300 spine w/ 50grains of brass, beiter nocks, wraps and three fletch. I'm shooting an RX3 at 72lbs with a 29 inch draw.

My advice would be to buy a few different types of arrows that you are thinking of using and trying different point weight (either standard or brass inserts) and both three and four fletch combos. Shoot them a lot, plot them out on how they are grouping (preferably at a few different distances...30/60/90 yds....shoot out as far as you feel you can confidently tell you are making good shots). You are in a great time of year to experiment with this type of thing. You can use hot melt (as opposed to glue) on your inserts for testing, that way you can change out point weight by simply warming up the tip. I dont have a spine chart in front of me right now but maybe even try two different spines and run said combos above out of each to see what goes best. I love doing this crap and devote the time to do it. Not sure if you have the time to put into it but if you do, it is a fun process and you will learn a lot about what works best for YOU (not other people).

WCB

WKR
Switched From the Gold Tip Pierce Platinums this year to Gold Tip Hunter Pros....best arrow I've shot IMO.

I have also in the past have shot the Easton Axis, FMJs, Maxim Hunters, VAPS, and a couple others.

I personally avoid anything with an outsert like the plague. Aluminum, steel, unicorn horn...all unnecessary extra work and no matter what they just do not last/stay straight. Also, from shooting animals from 0-70yds and shooting targets out to 100yds I think small diameter shafts are over rated.

Buelrdr29

FNG
Check out Grizzly Stiks. They are a full tapered carbon shaft. I have mine built out to 520 grains and a 125 gr single bevel broadhead. They are nice!

Marble

WKR
Check out Grizzly Stiks. They are a full tapered carbon shaft. I have mine built out to 520 grains and a 125 gr single bevel broadhead. They are nice!
I have a similar set up but with a different single bevel. Its straight breaks through stuff at 273 fps. Its amazing the energy it has and the ability to break stuff.

Easton Axis. Very popular, not real pricey, great gpi. You can get a dozen blanks for less than $100.

Buelrdr29

FNG
Mine are flying at about 262 fps per the chrono. Only a 28.5 draw length and that was at 70 lbs.

I like Gold Tip Hunter and Bloodsport Hunter shafts, 300 spine, 9.3 and 9.1 GPI respectively. These are some of the most inexpensive hunting shafts available. But if you build your own arrows and cut to size by trimming off both ends, they come out much straighter than the specs, and they shoot great. Another big reason I like these is the standard inside diameter of .244" - .246" which will accommodate a plethora of inserts, nocks, and screw-in weights. No need of specialized (expensive) components.

Sled

WKR
I like Gold Tip Hunter and Bloodsport Hunter shafts, 300 spine, 9.3 and 9.1 GPI respectively. These are some of the most inexpensive hunting shafts available. But if you build your own arrows and cut to size by trimming off both ends, they come out much straighter than the specs, and they shoot great. Another big reason I like these is the standard inside diameter of .244" - .246" which will accommodate a plethora of inserts, nocks, and screw-in weights. No need of specialized (expensive) components.

i do love the GT shafts but will not waste my time on their components, specifically inserts. they use the term tolerances loosely.

MasonfromWi

Lil-Rokslider
Do you guys think my arrows set up would be ok for elk? At the moment I’m shooting a 27” axis with stainless RPS inserts, 463 grains with a 125 grain broadhead. Hoyt Defiant Turbo with a 29” draw, haven’t shot it through a chrono in a while.

Do you guys think my arrows set up would be ok for elk? At the moment I’m shooting a 27” axis with stainless RPS inserts, 463 grains with a 125 grain broadhead. Hoyt Defiant Turbo with a 29” draw, haven’t shot it through a chrono in a while.
Should do just fine. If shooting 70 lb draw that will pass through just about anything.

All the guys that are bending their FMJs, has me scratching my head. How is this happening? I’m yet to experience this.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk