Arrows

J.G.

FNG
Hi, was wondering if someone could give me a little direction. Last fall I bought an inexpensive recurve from my local pro shop. It’s 50#@ 28” which is pretty close to my draw length. I’m planning to get a new bow with a set of 35# and a 55# limbs so I can really concentrate on my form and shoot a lot more. How do you guys start to choose an arrow? There’s so many different ones. For my compounds I like Easton and victory, bc that’s what I have used. Do I need a read carbon arrow like the victory one? Or can I use a 5mm axis like I’m building for my compounds this year. I am planning to use the AAE trad vanes bc I cant seem to shoot a deer when it’s not pouring rain out here on Long Island. Thanks for your help,
Jim

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

GLB

WKR
The Easton Axis Traditional arrows are very good. You can buy different components insert/outserts for them from http://ethicsarchery.com/

The 400 spine should work well for you. With the 35 lbs limbs you will probably need 600 spine.

Leave them long and cut 1/4” at a time to tune once you figure out the front weight of your components and broadheads.

Beendare

WKR
I'm setting up a new bow- a 40# target bow, heres what I do;

I plug my specs into the stu miller calculator as it gets me somewhat close. Key with this is to read the instructions and measure. For example, if your strike plate is .06" off it makes a significant difference. Dial in your bow setup....then play with different arrow spines until you get one you like.

I wanted to shoot a light fast arrow so I experimented and found a Centershot 500 cut to 30" std insert, 100gr tip- 377gr that says is perfect.

Well its always better to start with the shafts a little long unless you are ok with adjusting tip weight as that will weaken/strengthen the arrow spine also. You cut and test in small increments. Or you can cut to the length you want and adjust tip weight in small increments.

So I started with full length and bareshaft shot the arrow. I'm still in the process of tuning but it looks like a 30 1/4" with a 125gr tip....or the full length 31"/100gr is pretty darn close. I don't even fletch them until I find an arrow that shoots real straight...then I fletch one or two to confirm fleshed and bare shoot to the same poi.

Stu miller calc only gets me in the ballpark...it hasn't been perfect for me, YMMV

GLB

WKR
I use the calculator on 3rivers web site and like Beendare said it will get you close. But be careful about component weight as it relates to spine. when you plug that information in there it helps to understand how length and weight and where that weight is on the arrow changes dynamic spine.

Example 200 grain point with 25 grain insert vs 125 grain point and 100 grain insert , both equal 225 and will come up the same on the calculator but dynamically will act different. Leverage and length of insert will have to be figured in as well.

OP
J

J.G.

FNG
Long Island NY? Still out? I am in Brooklyn but own out east and hunt out there too. Welcome to the trad!

Yep, live in Hampton bays, hunt the public areas around here.
Thanks for the advice! I’ll probably start with the axis 400’s and hope they work. Is there a difference between the regular axis and the traditional? Except maybe the color

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

ledflight

WKR
Cool, our place is in Cutchogue, so right across the bay. I have only one county land hunt and more town land hunts so don't know as much about the county stuff. I have heard good things about bucks on the South Fork.

You can get some gold tip traditional blemished. They’re a solid arrow for the price. You’ll have to do a little work on them getting them all to spin true and such but they’re a solid arrow. I left mine full length due to my tune and I had 4 that spun great, 3 that spun so so and 5 that spun like crap. If I had cut them down it would’ve helped

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk