Arrows

368 grains on a 72# now is very light, you're flirting with the 5 grain per pound rule of thumb for minimum safe arrow weight to not blow up your bow.

By comparison, I shoot a 450 grain arrow to 100 yards routinely, haven't gone further only because my property isn't big enough. 28.5" draw, pse mach 1, 332ibo. It made 72# with the last set of strings, only making 68.8 with this set and the ata is shorter with this set (haven't been able to figure that out).

I still have quite a bit of room before my fletching will contact the site housing, but I'm also not shooting 3d courses for score. Ultimately, it's your arrow, but you do owe it to yourself to try the free trial of pinwheel so you can find the option you like best. Pinwheel software also includes a ballistic function that you can learn a lot from.

368 grains on a 72# now is very light, you're flirting with the 5 grain per pound rule of thumb for minimum safe arrow weight to not blow up your bow.

By comparison, I shoot a 450 grain arrow to 100 yards routinely, haven't gone further only because my property isn't big enough. 28.5" draw, pse mach 1, 332ibo. It made 72# with the last set of strings, only making 68.8 with this set and the ata is shorter with this set (haven't been able to figure that out).

I still have quite a bit of room before my fletching will contact the site housing, but I'm also not shooting 3d courses for score. Ultimately, it's your arrow, but you do owe it to yourself to try the free trial of pinwheel so you can find the option you like best. Pinwheel software also includes a ballistic function that you can learn a lot from.
Oh ok, good point. I wasn't familiar with that rule of thumb.

I didn't realize they had a free trial of that, I'll give it a go for sure! Sounds like I need a bit of extra weight anyway so the 50g insert might become my go-to with the 300 spine arrow. If it doesn't fly great I could try leaving the extra 25g weight on the insert for more FOC or go to a 4 fletch for a little less FOC.

Thanks again for the insights!

i’m a 2 year noob but I’ve gone through a similar journey with the bow and the arrow selections. In the beginning I just looked for cheap carbon arrows because of durability and cost. I don’t know where you are going to shoot for practice, but my 11 yo son and I started together and we shoot in the woods in the back of my house, I can’t begin to count the number of lost arrows n our wood….I have multiple sets of arrows but the baseline build is a carbon arrow that costs ~$5 per arrow. I’m 100% glad I started with cheap arrows. Now I have tons of arrows from cheap to expensive, from Walmart bought to ones from Lancaster Archery and various shops. I have arrow builds that end up near $100 per arrow and builds that cost me $5 per arrow, each has its use. For your first set of arrows I’d suggest standard shaft of carbon as there are lots of components for them, they’re easy to build (my first builds were pre-fletched and I did the inserts and points) and have a good range of pricing options from cheap to expensive. I don’t buy aluminum, I see way too many that get bent and I can’t be bothered to try to bend them back (I’ve had some bend while pulilng them out of foam animal targets).

Pilarczyk85

Lil-Rokslider
My question is about this stuff as im an arrow newb is that is it strictly subjective? I know this is a contentious debate about heavy versus light and so forth. So far I'm in the weeds on what I'm looking for but at the moment I'm not entirely sold on what I'm shooting now and don't know where to go. The choices seem endless and so do the setups.

My question is about this stuff as im an arrow newb is that is it strictly subjective? I know this is a contentious debate about heavy versus light and so forth. So far I'm in the weeds on what I'm looking for but at the moment I'm not entirely sold on what I'm shooting now and don't know where to go. The choices seem endless and so do the setups.

Pretty much.

It's like a lot of things, most of what's available is pretty good anymore. I'd stay away from skinny stuff, stay away from really heavy, and stay away from light. Go middle of the road, then you will find what you need for your setup. A shorter draw length is likely going to stay lighter to maintain some speed, a long draw can shoot 500 gr faster than a lot of guys can get 400 gr going with 27" DL. So they view weight differently, however conversely a shorter draw archer might go heavier to help with energy, it just sucks up that much more trajectory.

Comes down to how you will use it.

Pilarczyk85

Lil-Rokslider
Pretty much.

It's like a lot of things, most of what's available is pretty good anymore. I'd stay away from skinny stuff, stay away from really heavy, and stay away from light. Go middle of the road, then you will find what you need for your setup. A shorter draw length is likely going to stay lighter to maintain some speed, a long draw can shoot 500 gr faster than a lot of guys can get 400 gr going with 27" DL. So they view weight differently, however conversely a shorter draw archer might go heavier to help with energy, it just sucks up that much more trajectory.

Comes down to how you will use it.
Im a whitetail guy. 70lb with a 27.5 DL. I blindly followed what the pro shop recommended which is a gold tip kinetic arrow at 340 grains. What the insert is idk. But im shooting the 100 grain magnus broadheads at the moment.

Im a whitetail guy. 70lb with a 27.5 DL. I blindly followed what the pro shop recommended which is a gold tip kinetic arrow at 340 grains. What the insert is idk. But im shooting the 100 grain magnus broadheads at the moment.

That's not too far off what I'd have suggested. I use GT hunters, 28.5 dl. It's likely a 340 spine, not 340 grains.

I don't much get into those smaller diameter arrows for hunting.

Pilarczyk85

Lil-Rokslider
That's not too far off what I'd have suggested. I use GT hunters, 28.5 dl. It's likely a 340 spine, not 340 grains.

I don't much get into those smaller diameter arrows for hunting.
Yes. You’re right. I meant spine. I mean im relatively new to the game of compound bow hunting (4 yrs deep) and hunted a hand me down bow setup so i know not much about what is what

Yes. You’re right. I meant spine. I mean im relatively new to the game of compound bow hunting (4 yrs deep) and hunted a hand me down bow setup so i know not much about what is what

I really don't see too much of an issue with your arrows for whitetail. Where do you feel it's lacking?

Pilarczyk85

Lil-Rokslider
I really don't see too much of an issue with your arrows for whitetail. Where do you feel it's lacking?
Not really feel like its lacking other than some the inserts coming loose. Moreso just trying to navigate the world of arrows if i maybe wanted to try something different

Not really feel like its lacking other than some the inserts coming loose. Moreso just trying to navigate the world of arrows if i maybe wanted to try something different

I'm not a fan of the inserts those shafts come with. Really they are a halfout, and aluminum. They bend pretty easily.

You can put a "Hit" insert in those shafts if you wanted. Can go lighter or heavier than where you currently are.