Arrows

Mckinnon

WKR
What arrows/fletch are all of you guys/gals shooting? I was at the shop the other day as my little brother is thinking of getting into trad archery, and the guy who was helping us recommended feathers over vanes hands down. I was just wondering why that is, I have only ever shot a compound bow, so i have zero trad knowledge.... Thanks

RosinBag

Super Moderator
Staff member
Feathers on 99% for traditional archers. Generally they shoot right off their shelf and feather allow this as they collapse to some degree when being pushed passed the shelf by the string, where as vanes wont and your arrow will kick off the shelf causing huge flight issues. I have not seen any traditional guys shooting arrow rests, but some recurve shooters do. If you have an arrow rest you could get away with vanes, but I would still think feathers. Feathers area also more forgiving and traditional guys generally shoot with their fingers for the release and forgiveness is huge. Feathers are also "traditional" which is how they are shooting. I am sure there are other reasons, but your shop guy is lying to you on this issue.

IAHNTR

WKR
I like feathers over vanes using a compound as well. The surface of a feather vs. a vane is much rougher. The purpose, as I understand it, is for the fletching to slow the arrow down from the rear and essentially "steer" it as it does. Feathers, having more roughness, create more air resistance and slow down the rear of the arrow more than a smooth sided vane. All else being equal of course. But I do agree with Rosin as well.

OP
Mckinnon

Mckinnon

WKR
Great! Thanks for the responses! But I guess I don't understand how he was lying, he said he would recommend feathers for the longbow, sounds like you guys are agreeing with him...? Maybe my post was just confusing.?

RosinBag

Super Moderator
Staff member
Rock 2.0, my mistake I meant to put a "not" in there and was just typing slower than my fingers were putting words down. Sorry for that.....

Rod

Lil-Rokslider
I shoot 5" 4 fletch feathers out of my longbow. I get great flight.

OP
Mckinnon

Mckinnon

WKR
Rock 2.0, my mistake I meant to put a "not" in there and was just typing slower than my fingers were putting words down. Sorry for that.....
Hey no worries! I just wanted to make sure I am on the right track. Thanks all for the input!

OP
Mckinnon

Mckinnon

WKR
I shoot 5" 4 fletch feathers out of my longbow. I get great flight.
4 fletch, hmmm, does that extra fletching help with stabilization? Any other advantages to it that I should know about?

Rod

Lil-Rokslider
Personal preference but it does help steer large broadheads like my Zwickey deltas. I do not need to look @ my string to nock an arrow.. could help in a hunting situation.

Snake

FNG
I agree with the above on using feathers. As far as arrows I like Gold Tip Traditional. The GT Trads have a little more mass weight compared to the standard GTs but other than that are the same. If no Trads are available a Gold Tip Expedition Hunter will work fine for you. The biggest thing I like about the Gold Tip is that you can add weights to the back of the insert to adjust for spine. I'm getting a little deep in the weeds but if you google "bare shaft arrow tuning" you should get some good information. Having a properly tuned arrow is huge for trad archery.

Broken Arrow

Lil-Rokslider
Just made up some Douglas fir for next year. Got them from surewood shafts. Best woodies I've ever bought the grain is awesome and they came straight as an arrow (pun intended):). I highly recommend surewood. Using good old bear greenies and 3 feathers they weight in around 585- 600 grains. For my 59@28" recurve.