Arrows

Yukondog

WKR
I've been shooting CX Maxima Hunters for years. As I'm starting the process of developing a new set up I want to see what everyone is shooting.

Looking for a smaller diameter arrow, more weight than my CX which are 8.9gr per inch. Current arrow weights in at 410 I believe. Want to get over 450 if possible. I have a 30" draw so that should not be a problem.

So, what arrow are you shooting and how happy are you with your set up? I like to wrap the end and use a 100gr BH. My consider jumping up to 125. Perhaps overkill for N. American game.

Matt

Segan

FNG
I shoot the same as you but I split a dozen carbon injections with a guy this past sping/summer to try out. I can't convince myself to shoot a heavy arrow though. I have had good luck with staying around 400gns personally. My 29" arrow with 100 gn tip weighed in at 448 gns. They seemed to shoot good and they are a smaller diameter which also means you had to shoot a smaller threaded Broadhead. My arrow speed was about 287.

Lawnboi

WKR
Id add weight to the insert before the tip, 100g broadheads are much easier to find. When adding any weight to the tip keep in mind your spine is going to weaken a bit.

FMJ's have been my choice arrow up until now, im going to give some gold tip kinetics a try.

I shoot Easton Axis (10.7 gpi) and Gt kinetics (10.4) with a 125 grain point. Both are small diameter arrows. i would also jump to a 125 grain point. My arrows are 27.5 inches long and weigh in at 460 grains

Last edited:

keep

Lil-Rokslider
I switched from CX maxmia hunters to Easton FMJ and have been very happy. I was looking for a smaller diameter and heavier. They provided both
FMJ 340= 11.3 gpi

swat8888

WKR
Beman MFX, been happy with them although I picked up a dozen Black Eagle Rampage to try out, want to see how 400gr shoots for me. I shoot 125gr broad heads, total weight 467gr, about 270fps, shoots darts, quiet too. I'm cheap and won't buy any arrows I can't get for unde $100. Bemans were super cheap from eagle archery, Black Eagle sells direct with great prices.

Last edited:

Maxhunter

WKR
I shoot 400 FMJs at 26.25 long and they weigh in 416 grains with a 100 grain point. Shooting 65lbs I get 270fps with a 26.5 draw. I get plenty of momentum and speed with my set-up.

Matt,

For my set-up I am running Injexions. You would need a 330 spine which are running 10.1 gpi. If you shoot an arrow at 29.5" and take off the factory crest and use a standard 4" wrap and run 2.1" fusion vanes here is what I predict:

29.5 X 10.1= 297.95
+5 wrap
+20 insert
+100 broadhead
+21 vanes (7 gr ea X 3)
+9 nock
=====> 452.95 lets call it 453 gr

You can use a Ramcat as a fixed blade head -OR- you can use the Firenock insert/outsert which will add an extra 13 grains bumping you to 466 grains -AND- allow you to use ANY broadhead on the market.

If that is not what you are looking for then you can always look at the 340/300 Axis or the 300 Kinetics. If you go the Kinetic route I would recommend picking up easton HIT inserts and using those instead of the GT half outserts.

I am personally a fan of the FMJ because of the aluminum on the outside. I would rather shoot an ACC instead...less shine IMO.

I am shooting the Easton Axis 340's and have been very happy with them for several years now. I did shoot the FMJ's for a couple of years but found that they tend to take a bend and need to be replaced more often than the Axis. I am shooting an agressive cam at 70lbs with a total arrow weight of 445grs. Easton makes a great product IMO.

Scottiem

Lil-Rokslider
I shoot victory VAP's. As long as you use the SS outserts they are tough arrows. I have a 29" draw, 70#, so I shoot the 300 spine with a 100 gr broadhead and blazers. Total 450 grains with a bunch of FOC.

c5mrr270

WKR
I also shoot victory vaps but with a custom aftermarket outsert. The outsert weighs 41 grains and covers the first 3/4" of the arrow making them very tough.

Scottiem

Lil-Rokslider
I also shoot victory vaps but with a custom aftermarket outsert. The outsert weighs 41 grains and covers the first 3/4" of the arrow making them very tough.

Victory has a new aluminum outsert for 2013 that has that arrow sleeve as well. I'm gonna stick to the SS though. I like the heavier FOC and have yet to damage one.

CritterGetter

Lil-Rokslider
what length of arrow do you shoot? I finally built up my injexions last night and have about 22 FMJ's ready to go if you are interested (or anyone else for that matter). they are wrapped with onestringer reflectives, blazer vanes, HIT inserts. plenty of field points and nocks to go with them. Half are cut to 27" and the others are 26 1/2" or 26 3/4". I forget. Ha! I'll make someone a good deal on em.

Oh, the 27" ones weighed in at 483 with 125's.

image.jpg
heres a pic and heres why i quit shooting nockturnals...

Last edited:
Last year I was wanting to boost my arrow weight to around 450, so I used a 50gr insert in the camo Axis arrows. The camos weigh one gpi more than the non-camo Axis.

OR Archer

WKR
Axis 340s, FMJ 340s or Injexion 330's will all get you to your desired weight with a 100 gr head no problem.

vcb

WKR
I have shot axis for a long time. This year I made a change to carbon express kv 350's. nice arrows but don't like the Nock setup. If you shoot a stump with your blunt point the nock and band goes flying off. I like the idea of injections but not the adapters I have to run to shoot my preferred slick trick. Just gonna make another dozen axis for this new year. A great arrow.