Artic oven great nunatak

LeadQ-tip

FNG
Hey y’all , new to the forum been a lurker for quite some time .

I was interested in getting a tent for fly in hunt and one I can possibly use in the winter as well . I’m leaning towards artic oven .
I was liking the artika but it’s heavy , great nunatak sounds

the new nunatak series sound great but I don’t see much reviews on em them , anyone try them on here ?

I like how light in weight they are , I just hope they didnt compromise the fabric or sturdiness in high winds . I think the weight loss is from their new single pole design ... I’m sure some folks in here will know better the I do !

thanks
cheers !

jhm2023

WKR
We recently upgraded from an Arctic Oven Igloo since our family had outgrown it. We looked hard at the Great Nunatak, but we ended up going with the AO12 w/ vestibule. If lighter weight is important but also durability and performance in adverse weather, then I'd recommend the Igloo if it fits your size requirements.

We had the shop in Fairbanks setup a Great Nunatak for us and we weren't overly impressed. All of the materials are thinner, it just doesn't have the structure to stand up to wind and there are no exterior poles to hold the fly off of the body and create an air space. So between the thinner vapex body and fly material and no air space I highly doubt it can be as warm. Another downside is how it requires so many stakes to setup, where as their other tents can be setup without stakes in a pinch(except the vestibule). The Great Nunatak seems like a 2 person job to setup whereas the Igloo and other Arctic Ovens can be setup solo if that matters to you.

We had the Igloo in some pretty stout winds in the Delta Junction area and on the slope, and it holds plenty strong. I would not put the Nunatak series tents through the same conditions.

Some things to consider. We couldn't find much info on the Nunatak tents either so hope this helps. For us the things that were sacrificed in the name of weight savings made it not be a true Arctic Oven and wouldn't fit our needs when we depended on the shelter the most.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

Last edited:
OP
LeadQ-tip

LeadQ-tip

FNG
We recently upgraded from an Arctic Oven Igloo since our family had outgrown it. We looked hard at the Great Nunatak, but we ended up going with the AO12 w/ vestibule. If lighter weight is important but also durability and performance in adverse weather, then I'd recommend the Igloo if it fits your size requirements.

We had the shop in Fairbanks setup a Great Nunatak for us and we weren't overly impressed. All of the materials are thinner, it just doesn't have the structure to stand up to wind and there are no exterior poles to hold the fly off of the body and create an air space. So between the thinner vapex body and fly material and no air space I highly doubt it can be as warm. Another downside is how it requires so many stakes to setup, where as their other tents can be setup without stakes in a pinch(except the vestibule). The Great Nunatak seems like a 2 person job to setup whereas the Igloo and other Arctic Ovens can be setup solo if that matters to you.

We had the Igloo in some pretty stout winds in the Delta Junction area and on the slope, and it holds plenty strong. I would not put the Nunatak series tents through the same conditions.

Some things to consider. We couldn't find much info on the Nunatak tents either so hope this helps. For us the things that were sacrificed in the name of weight savings made it not be a true Arctic Oven and wouldn't fit our needs when we depended on the shelter the most.

That’s awesome I think I will skip the nunatak ! And just go with Artika or igloo.
what kind of stove did you use for the igloo?
How many people did u fit inside ?

I have Riley silver bullet sheet metal stove I don’t want it to be to big of a stove and cook to death..I hear these AO heat really easily !
I’m only going to have 3 people maybe 4 without cots and a stove.

thanks!

Last edited:

jhm2023

WKR
They do great up easily. I use a nuway propane stove for spring and fall. I was using a knico sheet metal stove during the winter but switched to a gstove this year. I did a post on here about that stove. If it gets too hot you can open the vestibule door and leave the tent body door closed or vice versa.

OP
LeadQ-tip

LeadQ-tip

FNG
They do great up easily. I use a nuway propane stove for spring and fall. I was using a knico sheet metal stove during the winter but switched to a gstove this year. I did a post on here about that stove. If it gets too hot you can open the vestibule door and leave the tent body door closed or vice versa.

Ok cool , I might have to downsize my stove as it might be too big for the igloo or go with heavier artika, I have Riley bullet stove which is. 15 x 13.5 x 23.5 .

akrdkill

WKR
The walls on the nunataks aren’t very steep either
I had an igloo & a buddy heater will run you out of there

OP
LeadQ-tip

LeadQ-tip

FNG
Good to know! I’m leaning towards igloo or AO 10, and will have to possibly downsize stove....even though I prefer bigger stove for longer burn time .