Article - When to Call for Whitetail Bucks

skregear

Lil-Rokslider
Hi, All!

Locke Wheeler wrote an interesting article on when to call for whitetail bucks (primarily in Louisiana) on our website. Check it out here.

What do you look for before starting to call? Do you blind call or call only when you see a buck?

Best,
Tim

I hunt wide open areas and even when I don't, I only call (voice or rattle) when I see a deer that is out of range. Much easier to turn them when you can see them. I rarely ever blind call or rattle.

Wiscohunter

Lil-Rokslider
I have called in and shot several mature bucks over the years and in all cases I saw them first, then called them into range. I rarely blind call anymore. As Coveyleader stated, much easier when you can watch them react.

I've harvested several mature whitetail. Sometimes I blind call and have luck, and often I have seen the deer prior to calling. Sometimes I have grunted at a particular buck and called in a different one. It's kind if like playing "Marco-Polo", you want them to come your direction, but doknt want them to bust you.

Although I utilize calling for whitetails quite regularly, I find that it is extremely inconsistent whether or not the deer respond. I find that the does are more talkative and respond to bleats during the early season and pre rut. I have also found that calling to mature bucks has been the most successful the last few days of October here in Iowa, before the rut really kicks in. During the peak rut I have noticed that most of the bucks that come to calls are younger.
As far as calling tactics, I do most of my grunting and snort wheeze when I see a deer and most of my rattling is done blind. One thing to remember when calling is the mature bucks will circle down wind whenever it is possible so you have to expect that.

SoDaky

WKR
At times frustrating and hard to resist blind calling but IMO better off not doing it.Rarely,very rarely works.If you call to visible bucks successfully,you know how difficult it can be and how KEY timing of your calls can be.Sure on occasion one grunt can turn them and bring them right in but usually calling too often can blow it(pun intended),calling too little and they wander away.My point being that most bucks I see that come in,would NOT likely have done so with one random blind call or two.Watching them when calling gives success.
Also visible calling shows you how often 'movement' of any sort after a call can give you away.If you blind call,for gods sake don't move at all for awhile.