as.ks.ak Sewing Projects Thread.

OP
as.ks.ak

as.ks.ak

WKR
Great work! How did you select the needle and thread for the Cordura? My wife has a similar machine that she quilts with, but I wasn't sure if it's designed to handle heavier fabrics. Is there anything in particular to watch out for when sewing the Cordura?

I’m sure your wife will be able to help if any tension adjustments need made. Really, try a few different stitch lengths until you get one you’re happy with and sew away.

I have avoided pressing cordura with steam or heat, which is common practice for most sewers before sewing seams etc. I just take extra time and line things up and go slow.

Reason being: I’m worried about melting the fibers or degrading the waxy waterproof coating that is on the interior. I have been able to sew things just fine without pressing seams so why risk wasting material to find out.

As for needle and thread. Needle size depends on the project. Just do your homework. As for thread, make sure you’re sewing with a 100% polyester thread. GUTERMANN MARA 70 is what I use for most stuff. You could use 50 if you wanted something more stout. I have some but opted for the 70, simply because I already had my machine setup with it.

Give er a go! Buy a seam ripper, because you will eff up, and don’t be afraid to fail. It’s a blast making things that you want and aren’t available exactly how you want them on the market.

Oh, also, YouTube is your friend!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:
I’m sure your wife will be able to help if any tension adjustments need made. Really, try a few different stitch lengths until you get one you’re happy with and sew away.

I have avoided pressing cordura with steam or heat, which is common practice for most sewers before sewing seams etc. I just take extra time and line things up and go slow.

Reason being: I’m worried about melting the fibers or degrading the waxy waterproof coating that is on the interior. I have been able to sew things just fine without pressing seams so why risk wasting material to find out.

As for needle and thread. Needle size depends on the project. Just do your homework. As for thread, make sure you’re sewing with a 100% polyester thread. GUTERMANN MARA 70 is what I use for most stuff. You could use 50 if you wanted something more stout. I have some but opted for the 70, simply because I already had my machine setup with it.

Give er a go! Buy a seam ripper, because you will eff up, and don’t be afraid to fail. It’s a blast making things that you want and aren’t available exactly how you want them on the market.

Thanks for the tips!

OP
as.ks.ak

as.ks.ak

WKR
Gen 2 of the tool roll. Kept it simple with the closure this time. All thanks to some ridicule from another forum member on the stupid clunky buckle. Think I like this version better. Will help with being able to tell them apart too.

K.I.S.S.

0f85cac7fc0570281dcb2a334245c876.jpg

61abc6d067427aedc3517ad540dd90cf.jpg

Squirrels

WKR

Why are you saying to only sew with polyester thread?

OP
as.ks.ak

as.ks.ak

WKR
Why are you saying to only sew with polyester thread?

Polyester thread is stronger than nylon or cotton. It is rot resistant unlike cotton thread, and is more UV resistant than nylon thread. It also has lower stretch properties. Basically it’s great for outdoor gear that might get wet, used and abused or exposed a lot of sunlight.

Last edited:

Squirrels

WKR
Polyester thread is stronger than nylon or cotton. It is rot resistant unlike cotton thread, and is more UV resistant than nylon thread. It also has lower stretch properties. Basically it’s great for outdoor gear that might get wet, used and abused or exposed a lot of sunlight.

I agree that polyester and nylon are superior to cotton for outdoor applications. Polyester is more UV resistant than nylon, but that only applies for extended week after week exposure. Day use gear doesn’t require UV resistance.
Nylon thread is stronger than polyester. It also more abrasion resistant than polyester. I’d argue that nylon thread is better for most outdoor applications other than instances where extended, constant exposure for weeks or months on end.

OP
as.ks.ak

as.ks.ak

WKR
I agree that polyester and nylon are superior to cotton for outdoor applications. Polyester is more UV resistant than nylon, but that only applies for extended week after week exposure. Day use gear doesn’t require UV resistance.
Nylon thread is stronger than polyester. It also more abrasion resistant than polyester. I’d argue that nylon thread is better for most outdoor applications other than instances where extended, constant exposure for weeks or months on end.

Valid point. At the end of the day. Polyester or nylon each have their different strengths. I suppose I should have given the nylons the nod as well.

Basically just don’t use cotton. Is what matters.

OP
as.ks.ak

as.ks.ak

WKR
The latest new item to come out of the sewing machine is this pocket mesh synch bag for a buddy. He had been using the larger bag with the dual pot and wanted to be able to drop the weight but keep a bag so his fuel canister wouldn’t bang around. He plans to use a sponge to keep things quiet. Should be pretty dang functional. Shock cord used as a synch cord.

efc252388ed62c7d4ff2817d589fc1bd.jpg

Dual pot bag.

c582be0b520d8c87c13bc1307335651a.jpg

Wanting to eliminate this top pot.

b52db364e6bfa3237adfe7c1e1e3af25.jpg

Pot needing new synch bag.

0e2c3ad0e4e4bfdae217f1ff4f9fedab.jpg

New pocket mesh synch bag with shock cord and toggle.

OP
as.ks.ak

as.ks.ak

WKR
Fun project for a buddy. He needed a carrying case for his Mr. Buddy heater to try and keep the snow and moisture off of it. Now he won’t have any issues getting it to lite. Pretty happy with how it turned out.

-500D Cordura
- Waterproof YKK zipper
- 1” grosgrain for binding
- 1” kryptek typhon nylon webbing
- 1 camsnap for propane hose pocket
- glowire for zipper pulls

f0c845554927f9f67852d03368dbdd0f.jpg

A few different seams on this bag. French and binded seams. Binding with the attachment is so easy it’s silly. Will be reinforcing all seams with binding from here on out most likely.

570b07dda6ae16ea5c1d57251e5f181a.jpg

Not crazy happy with the 1” kryptek typhon handles. Wish I had it in 2”, but beggars can’t be choosers.
1647323ebf8d339b0acc2babd15d821a.jpg

Exterior pocket is intended for a propane hose to hook the mr. Buddy up to a large propane tank instead of using the small bottles.
f190f63dacdb66be7ddb65bc92055e03.jpg

OP
as.ks.ak

as.ks.ak

WKR
Made something for myself today. A padded/lined Cordura pouch for my Sony RX100. Somewhat water proof. Used a YKK waterproof zipper just because I can. I’ll feel safer throwing this thing in my lid now.

a18c384802c627bffe546e29f01d146a.jpg

18c463fd48eb7f10b7bc0ffaa167888e.jpg

3260e4b012461ddd66a268de3d855475.jpg

Try making some actually waterproof rain pants out of some breathable waist waders! Cut off the neoprene booties and sew on some waterproof zippers. Its a dream of mine.

eamyrick

WKR
Very cool. A raccoon ran off with the little cordura pouch that comes with the MSR pocket rocket. I’d love to have one sewn up.

OP
as.ks.ak

as.ks.ak

WKR
Try making some actually waterproof rain pants out of some breathable waist waders! Cut off the neoprene booties and sew on some waterproof zippers. Its a dream of mine.

That’s very doable. I just need the materials. Reach out to me if that’s something you really want done.

Made something for myself today. A padded/lined Cordura pouch for my Sony RX100. Somewhat water proof. Used a YKK waterproof zipper just because I can. I’ll feel safer throwing this thing in my lid now.

a18c384802c627bffe546e29f01d146a.jpg

18c463fd48eb7f10b7bc0ffaa167888e.jpg

3260e4b012461ddd66a268de3d855475.jpg

You're making some great stuff! Thanks for sharing!

What did you use for the padding/lining?

OP
as.ks.ak

as.ks.ak

WKR
You're making some great stuff! Thanks for sharing!

What did you use for the padding/lining?

Hey thanks!!

Bosal foam interfacing. You can get it at any crafts store. Joann’s definitely has it. I bought mine online though. I believe I got 1/8”.

OP
as.ks.ak

as.ks.ak

WKR
Been a hot minute since I posted any projects. Been a busy summer with personal stuff and haven’t sewed nearly as much as I would have liked.

I have been working on a jacket repair for a fellow Rokslider, it’s a shell jacket with delaminated seams, blown out cuff, and big rips in the shoulder. I’m awaiting a few materials to finish the repair but will post up that whole project once it’s complete. I think it’ll turn out pretty dang spiffy and revitalized as long as I don’t burn any holes in it finishing off the new seam tape.

I went back and revisited my gear/food bags and added a 1” webbing handle. @SLDMTN has been using one of these as a rear bag for resting his rifle so I thought a handle would be pretty handy (pun intended) for use on the mountain if using as a rear bag or a kill kit. I think these things are pretty slick. Someday I’ll have a website and a stock of these things. Until then it’s just supply and demand, as this is all a hobby I’m trying to avoid turning into a real side hustle….at least until my kiddos are older.

Here’s a few pics of the latest. Thanks for following along.

7fd05df8363eb6d3d31057450c333390.jpg

New handles added. Liking the black multicam.

0a437594545f63a77cc0297487f96a84.jpg

Jacket shoulder holes before repair.

621c51419319475447cee6fabc53b861.jpg

Blown out cuff and missing hook Velcro.

1692eec0002b0c02a1a1c0270d4585b2.jpg

Frayed blown out shock cord waist synch. Demalinated taped seams and fused ripstop shockcord panels. Also a small hole can be seen on the interior of the breast pocket.

Will post jacket repair next once completed.

nnmarcher

Lil-Rokslider
I'm interested in hearing how you are repairing the the rips in the shoulder of the shell jacket. Are you sewing in patches and seam taping over those? What material would the patches be?

Very cool work, I like the 1" webbing handle on those pullouts! Thank you for sharing.

Clarktar

WKR
I'm interested in hearing how you are repairing the the rips in the shoulder of the shell jacket. Are you sewing in patches and seam taping over those? What material would the patches be?

Very cool work, I like the 1" webbing handle on those pullouts! Thank you for sharing.
I'm interested also. Rained a lot yesterday...

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk