Ask Rokslide Archery Braintrust

Will_m

WKR
So my center serving began to separate on my string around my d-loop, which I noticed when my arrows began hitting low. Basically the serving is loose now and 1) the serving is of varying diameter now and nock will not hold properly where it needs to, i.e., it will slide to a thicker portion of the serving that appears to have bunched up -- although it seems unmovable by hand; and 2) no matter what I do with my d-loop it will still slide up and down with the loose serving. Keep in mind this is a week old winner's choice string.

Any ideas what caused this and how to prevent it in the future?

Is there something I can do without reserving or getting a new string? What about crimping a brass nocking point above the bottom of my d-loop knot? I'm quite shocked to have this happen from WC.

If it's only a week old, I'd definitely return it and get the money back. You could get into a good custom string for about the same price. Hogg Wire, Twisted X, 60X, etc.

OP
W

Will_m

WKR
I thought winner's choice was considered a high quality string?

Brendan

WKR
Personally - I'd either re-serve, have it re-served, or get a new string and use this as a backup. You don't want it failing on you as you get closer to the season.

A week old string - they owe you money back or a new string on the way. If you had to pay for the tuning and setup and didn't do it yourself, make sure to let them know that.

If you want to do it yourself to get it shootable again quickly: You should be able to check your nocking point height, remove D-loop, and re-serve by hand without removing the string from the bow. Having a serving jig would help keep it tight, but probably not absolutely critical, and you'd want to have the right size serving. Then, I usually use tied in nocking points above and below my arrow using a different color serving thread, which adds a little support to the serving, but more importantly allows me to replace a D-loop quickly.

The only thing I've ever had cause serving separation other than damaging it is a poor string build, untwisting the strings/cables too much, or reversing the "bend" on a string or cable where it goes around a post on your cam. I've also tightened a D-loop so much where it "bit" into the serving right below the knot.

I believe Winners Choice has a no serving separation guarantee and will either replace your string or hopefully the shop will at least re-serve the center serving for you at no charge. Winners choice is a good string and no need to go and replace it again. It could have been caused by a few things but the most likely is taking twists out of the string when it was installed. If you can avoid it I try to never remove twists from strings or cables and only add twists so if anything I am tightening the string under the serving and not trying to unwind it. Could have just been served loosely to start with too.

Sounds like a you should be able to get it repaired/replaced by them. That's what I'd do, go back to where you got the string and get them to make it right. But what happens after a reasonable warranty can be expected? Get a serving jig and learn some basic bow/string maintenance yourself.

Apart from the fact that this is only a week-old string, this is like waiting for AAA to come and change a flat tire on the side of the road for you.
If you want to be back shooting in 30 minutes rather than a day or two, learn to serve a string, learn to tie a d-loop. Youtube is full of videos. You can't do all string maintenance without a press, but this is an easy one.
I like Clay Hayes' serving video even though it's for a stickbow and I have a compound. D-loop videos are plentiful out there, the most difficult thing is getting the length of it correct. Once I figured out the length, I cut an extra one and wove it into the band of my wrist sling so I always have a spare. Just be sure to have nice mushroomed ends on the D-loop material so the knot doesn't pull out at full draw

This could be an installation issue as much as a string issue. If you do not keep the string twisted, they will all do this. Just have it reserved if the bow is tuning well. If you have doubts, don't carry that into the woods.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

OP
W

Will_m

WKR
Is re-serving something your run of the mill bow shop can be trusted to do or should I go through the process of sending the string back to winner's choice?

Dameon

WKR
Winners Choice will replace your string if you just call them. The last time I bought WC strings, I believe they warrantied them for a year, but that was in 2010. Since then, I have tried Vaportrail, 60X, and Hogwire. Every single one of them stand behind their product 100%. IF WC won't support you, reserving the center serving is a fairly easy at home job or you can take it to a shop and have them do it for very little out of pocket.