Asking for some scope suggestions

Steve759

FNG
Hey guys, hoping you can help me create a short list of scopes to consider for a new rifle. I purchased a Barrett Fieldcraft with 24" barrel in 270 WIN (5.6 lbs) for an Arizona desert bighorn tag that I just drew. I was not aware of the Fieldcraft rifle until I joined here last week. I'm guessing there's some scope recommendations I'm not aware of either. I was thinking I'd keep it simple and go with a VX3i in 4.5 - 14X, but I saw some comments about the FOV and the spec'd numbers do look a little tight. I haven't ruled it out, but would like to consider some other options. I've got some good scopes mostly in the 3-9 range, but would like a really good one with an appropriate magnification range for this rifle and hunt. My budget is pretty flexible based on weight and performance. Thanks!

Last edited:

mxgsfmdpx

WKR
What ranges do you plan on taking potential shots with this rifle? If you plan on dialing I would reccomend a scope with a proven track record for reliability and dialing with the turrets.

Meopta, Zeiss, and Nightforce have all proven to be very accurate dialers in any of the verification tests I’ve done. Guys have also seen good results with the SWFA brand.

Leupold and Vortex have not done well in my tests and in-field experience with dialing and holding zero. I’ve heard good things about the Mark 5 though, can’t say the same about my VX-3, VX-5, or VX-6s.

I’d narrow it down to the features that matter to you (weight, reticle choice, magnification range, etc) and then go with one of the brands that is proven to be a good field aiming device. I’ve been REALLY happy and impressed with Meopta personally. Same with Zeiss and Nightforce. Meopta hits the sweet spot on price and reliability for me so I almost exclusively use their scopes now. Doug from Cameraland has some great deals and he’s a sponsor here. Give him a call.

Hogyotedeer

Banned
Leupold VX3i 4-14CDS ZL. I have 2 of them. 1 on my Nosler .30 and one on my .28. Get ahold of member schmaltz ( predator optics) for best deal.

In on this, before someone tells you to get a tikka with a vortex. (Both are the wrong answer)😂
Welcome ,and congratulations on the new rifle.
Take a look at leupolds mid range offerings or Niteforce. Not too much of a difference between these two companies imo, or step it up a little to the Zeiss line.

In on this, before someone tells you to get a tikka with a vortex. (Both are the wrong answer)😂
Take a look at leupolds mid range offerings or Niteforce. Not too much of a difference between these two companies imo, or step it up a little to the Zeiss line.
Nightforce is lightyears beyond Leupold and Zeiss when is comes to dialing.

FrankAbagnale

Lil-Rokslider
I used a Vortex Viper 4-16x44 and it tracked perfectly and was a great scope. Just switched to a Zeiss V4 4-16x44 and it’s super nice. Noticeable difference in the glass and the zero stop is great. You can get a demo from Red Hawk Rifles for a pretty good deal. They do have demo Nightforce as well. I threw around the idea of a NX8 but the Zeiss V4 fit the bill for me.

Bsd0323

Lil-Rokslider
As a new guy what's wrong with vortex on a tikka? Seems to work well for the meateater crew, vortex that is.

renagde

WKR
I've been impressed with the Bushnell LRTS scopes that Doug from Cameraland has/had on sale. The 3-12 and the 4-18 are really hard to beat for the money.

HuntnPack

WKR
Nightforce NXS 2.5-10x42.
Great little 20 oz.scope.
Low mounting to stock.
Good FOV, & eye relief.
Tracks perfectly, RTZ, very STOUT build.
Nice positive click adjustment
Zero stop. Good glass,
Moar reticle is nice,
Illumination, adjustable brightness.
Durability, Repeatability, Reliability. !!!

OP
Steve759

Steve759

FNG
Thanks for the feedback so far.

Any thoughts on CDS-style turret vs. BDC-style reticle vs. plex reticle with standard elevation turret? I think 500 yds would probably be my limit.

False_Cast

Lil-Rokslider
I’d not consider anything other than a nightforce (I’m happy with my SWFAs but they’ve been hard to come by in my preferred configurations since late last year). Budget flexibility = NF, and your optic is not the place to compromise for weight. I’d also not get some of the brands mentioned above anywhere near a bighorn tag; no matter how good the warranty is.

BBob

WKR
For me and almost everyone I know save one or two hold outs we dial. Either system will require you to learn, memorize either clicks or holdovers and as I said most of us dial. I use a hashed reticle for windage only, I rarely dial for wind. Most use phone apps now to take the ballistics into the field for on the spot calculations but I and most friends still carry a printed chart as well as the app. On a sheep hunt you most likely won't be in a rushed situation to get your shot setup.

There are so many scopes to choose from these days it's hard to go wrong. If you are looking for a sweet light sheep setup the Swaro Z5i 3.5-18x44 P BT is a very nice compromise on features to weight to function to price. I have one on a lightweight rifle and it's a beautiful scope for it's purpose. Being a 1" tube it's limited in elevation compared to larger tubed scopes but in sheep country it shouldn't be a problem and you should easily get over 500yds with it. You could download their app, plug in your ballistics and see how it would work for that scope.

Bater

WKR
Bahahahahaha

The vx3i would be a great scope, I have several. On my fieldcraft I put a trijicon accupoint 3x9x40. Fwiw I don't dial, and know few folks that do. At the ranges you'll likely be shooting and you suggested, its not at all necessary. If you want to dial, you'll likely want one of the quite heavier and more expensive scopes mentioned above. Just my 2 cents!