Asking where you hunt

I think it's rude and I meet the question unkindly. How about you? Am I just a jerk?

Typically, I answer something like "behind the shoulder" or "in the mountains." Often I find people are leading, suggesting locales. Then I agree and say "yes" to every guess.

The season before last I checked in at a cabin and the new owner tried to give me advice on where to hunt--he's new to the area and was passing gossip. Having hunted the area for 15 years or so, he's the third owner I've known. The next night (opener) his wife saw my bull and asked where I took it. She got the "the mountains." She was dense enough to hear the same answer twice. My daughter was there and said I was rude and I explained that she was rude first. I doubt I'll be having them announce my spots to everyone who comes through the door.

My daughter filled her tag and her teacher asked her a lot of details and finished with wanting to know where she took her bull. She stone walled him but was stressed about it--she's only 12. The same guy has asked my younger son where we hunt.

Last edited:

Rich M

WKR
In this day and age some folks are touchy, others aren't. Mostly I see it as conversation pieces, not overly knowledgeable, just talking.

Not Cool w teachers pressing students for locations. You guys must get a few now and again.

We put a lot of time in to finding that elk, I'm not at liberty say is as good an answer as any for the kids. If anyone pushes, my dad would kill me. You should ask him. That gives you liberty to tear them a new one...

Glad you guys are having a good season.

Michael54

WKR
So can you drop a pin on google maps of exactly where you hunt? Asking for a friend....🤣

Bowhuntone

Lil-Rokslider
Depending on the area you could send them on a goose chase to some random hell hole unless that is the unmentionable spot itself.

ChrisAU

WKR
I think its just an automatic response to seeing an nice kill for a lot of people. My response is dictated by how I presume they are wanting the info. People that you can easily tell are non hunters may get a nearby city, while dudes that are wearing camo and smoking a cig with a 4 wheeler on the back of the truck get a county not even close to true, and guys that look like they could compete get the smart ass response and usually in turn they get what I'm saying (as in I'm not telling you) lol.

OP
H
I probably take it too seriously. I was certainly referring to people asking with the intent to locate elk. A few wrong words passing around some bars around here is worse than a sewing circle.

Just so no one thinks I'm a tight ass: I'll take people to my honey holes. I just have to hunt with them for 5+ years, standard blood-oath stuff, swear on the book, etc.

zm378205

FNG
I try to keep this as vague as possible. I don't outright lie, but I also don't give very detailed responses. Just my opinion. I also don't expect others to tell me their inside information either. Don't ask don't tell.

I'm always amused when someone asks where a certain buck or bull was killed while looking at it the back of a truck or in a picture. What good would it do to know where the bull was killed? It's not up there anymore.

I don't consider it to be a rude question unless the person doing the asking knows better. I always keep my answer vague or misleading.

ELKhunter60

Lil-Rokslider
I don't think a lot of people mean too much by asking the question. Most view it as an opening question hoping it will lead into a good story about the hunt. Some however - are asking to see if you will share some intel. I think a good approach to those questions if you aren't comfortable sharing too much is being extremely vague like some of the guys have already mentioned, or simply saying "I've got a lot of time and effort invested into my hunting spots. I'd prefer to keep those details to myself." I don't think most people would find that response rude.

I give them GPS coordinates: 48 degrees 4 minutes 2 seconds North, 12 dergrees 51 minutes 49 seconds East. It ends the conversation fairly quick and insures they won't be ask again.

I give them GPS coordinates: 48 degrees 4 minutes 2 seconds North, 12 dergrees 51 minutes 49 seconds East. It ends the conversation fairly quick and insures they won't be ask again.

Did that once with fishing spot down here at the coast and a guy pestering our group, actually sent them the coordinates for a trashy titty bar nearby (the kind of place nobody would actually want to go to).

The only time I'm willing to give out information is when I run into other guys out in the woods in my same area putting in the work, and they seem like good dudes that share information they have as well.

As for the hunters that just pry for information when you know they wouldn't tell you a single thing, I always tell them all the sign is up at 12,000 ft+ in some rough areas