Asking where you hunt

Mt Al

WKR
I have a canned answer ready and it's a place pretty easy to get to the trail head, but many many miles of backcountry beyond that. A place I don't ever hunt. Some people don't realize what they're asking, others definitely do and just don't want to do the years of work it takes to pattern a place.

I'm so paranoid I make sure the background of my hero shots are unrecognizable. EVERY. SINGLE. TIME. (other than one time) I've brought someone to a honey hole they come back, talk smack or hunt nearby. Doesn't say much about friends or me, I realize.

If people really dig and ask too much, I tell them they need to find a place, go there for years, learn it, take some critters and then they'll realize what they're asking.

PA Archer

FNG
I try to be as nice as I can to them without getting annoyed and maybe give them a very vague location and if the keep pestering then the location continues to get worse and worse and farther away.

No reason to be rude. There is a LOT of country out there and it's unlikely you'll be hunting the exact same place for elk year after year anyway. Now, it may be rude or ignorant for someone to ask for a specific spot, but most of the time they are just making conversation and we take it to mean they want our honey hole, because us hunters tend to be a little paranoid about protecting good spots. LOL

Speaking in general terms is usually enough to get the point across without being rude.

bae350

FNG
I used to not care much but last year me and some buddies got into mulies on public land. This year one of those buddies didnā€™t go back with us and so he gave up the spot to some other guys he knew that were going. We get there and see there trucks at the trail head. Very disappointing. I understand itā€™s public land and not ā€œmy spotā€ but I also feel that itā€™s part of the process to do your own homework and find the deer. Now when anybody asks me I give them very vague locations without sounding rude.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I used to not care much but last year me and some buddies got into mulies on public land. This year one of those buddies didnā€™t go back with us and so he gave up the spot to some other guys he knew that were going. We get there and see there trucks at the trail head. Very disappointing. I understand itā€™s public land and not ā€œmy spotā€ but I also feel that itā€™s part of the process to do your own homework and find the deer. Now when anybody asks me I give them very vague locations without sounding rude.

That's pretty low, it'd be a little better at least if he was hunting with them. :/

You could be honest and say that you don't tell people where you hunt. That you've worked hard to find a good spot and don't want it passed around.

"In the mountains" is kind of an asshole reply.

I know the feeling. I could tell the buddy of mine I took (read - guided) on his first elk hunt last year was going to go back to the EXACT same spot again, with or without me (because he's just that type) so I told him go for it. I told him to take his brother there next year and have at it (and he did). Because by the end of the drive to Colorado, I already knew I wouldn't be hunting with him this year. LOL

Now I know why so many guys here swear by going solo. I don't have to worry about anyone taking folks to the spots I hunted this year because there was nobody with me. Sure was nice.

I gave a vague description of a spot that was about 20 miles from "my" spot to a guy one time, and he told me of a couple of "his" spots. This was after he overheard a conversation between me and my son, looking at a picture of a dead critter.

Ran into this guy, both of us walking out of "my"/"his" spot in the dark one night......pretty funny that we both lied and had been hunting this same spot for years.

Sorta youā€™re being a dick. I share with whoever asked unless itā€™s a spot I was asked not to share, then Iā€™ll give a very general answer.

But youā€™re way is fine. And, yes youā€™re being a dick :)

My response above was referring to that I actually do hunt the same exact spots year after year.
Killing 4 elk standing by the same tree in 4 separate years makes you keep your mouth shut
Yea, you've mentioned that. Maybe that's more common for residents but I haven't hunted the same place twice so it wouldn't bother me as much. Part of the reason I drive all the way to colorado each year is the opportunity to hunt new ground. I can hunt the same 200 ac. every year without leaving my county. LOL

Dakota Dude

Lil-Rokslider
I lie unless I discover they are locals/have mutual friends and we can talk in detail about the areas.

Also, asking for real specifics is kinda rude. It really depends how well you know the person.