Asking where you hunt

jsb

FNG
I like asking Joe Superhunter types where they shot an animal just to see them squirm.

I shoot all mine on the back side of Rockytop. :)

I never ask where someone shot something, but I’ll often ask what unit they were in if it’s someone I have somewhat of a relationship with (coworker, etc). I figure it’s a question I would be willing to answer for an acquaintance and usually leads to talking about hunting more than asking where they shot it.

Marble

WKR
I will share info with hunting partners and really good friends. Some hunts are so hard to draw that they cannot be hunted out so I'll share info.

But if I'm in the middle of spotting and some guy walks up and asks where I hunt I do not share.

I rarely get rude and generally try to deflect with an answer that is too vague for anyone to figure out I'm full of shit.

I had one guy ask me where I was killing animals as he had seen us 3 times pack out elk. I did get rude with him but I try not to.

cgasner1

WKR
Depends on the guy I got buddies that know it all from General bs they hunt other units wouldn’t say a word same for me I know a lot of their spots won’t say a word anyone not in the circle gets nothing

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
H
I just got off the phone with an older schoolmate of my kids. He has been asking inappropriate questions but I give him a pass due to his age. I didn't give him hunting spots but instead texted him glassing spots and all the info I could pour into his young skull. I wish I had time to take him out but I'm just too busy.

I try to give a general area! Like this year, I killed a deer N. of Tatum N.M. I answered the question without being a jerk and was still vague enough they don’t have a clue where I was. I ask that question, I’m not wanting GPS coordinates, just curious as to what general area. What makes me furious is I have “friends” that want to go with you or know exactly where you are hunting but when you ask the general area they are in they become major jerks. One guy I know moved here from out of state, people showed him all over around here. He then found a place of his own but wanted to hunt with the ones that showed him around part of the time but when going to “his” place he was going to hunt alone so they wouldn’t know “his” places. All of this on public land.

I try to give a general area! Like this year, I killed a deer N. of Tatum N.M. I answered the question without being a jerk and was still vague enough they don’t have a clue where I was. I ask that question, I’m not wanting GPS coordinates, just curious as to what general area. What makes me furious is I have “friends” that want to go with you or know exactly where you are hunting but when you ask the general area they are in they become major jerks. One guy I know moved here from out of state, people showed him all over around here. He then found a place of his own but wanted to hunt with the ones that showed him around part of the time but when going to “his” place he was going to hunt alone so they wouldn’t know “his” places. All of this on public land.

I hear there are some big bucks over there. Some even bigger ones near the Caprock ;)

Scooter37

FNG
I also appreciate going with the move trying to get people hunting in an area that will drive animals to me. I never understand why people ask a question when we both know the answer is going to probably be lie. It’s the same as asking if we found and gold when we are down at the river gold panning.
If I’m finding gold the answer is always “not much” cause I’m not giving up my spot. If I’m not finding any I don’t want to admit it so the answer is always “not much”

The last weekend of deer season me and my son made about a four mile hike back into a basin we like to hunt late in the season. Turns out two other guys made a similar effort from another road and were right in the same area. We were pretty surprised to see guys back there but no big deal it’s public land in California but they seemed pretty bummed that other hunters would go so far into what they thought was untouched territory. The funny part was these guys ended up telling us where their buddies hunt on the other side of the river up on this one ridge above the campground opening morning and that it is a great area and there buddy kills a deer there every year. Now the interesting part is that the spot they were trying to send us to (probably so we wouldn’t be in that basin again) was exactly where I have killed a buck on opening morning both of the last two years .

Am I their buddy?

I must be cause I can guarantee no one else killed a deer there on opener morning with a rifle anyways. We just thanked them for the good advice and said maybe we would check it out someday. We still laugh about it cause on the one hand they were for sure lying but on the other hand we know where they were trying to send us is a great spot.

I don't take offense, but I also don't tell any more than "Near (insert city name)". If they push I smile and say 'I'll never tell." By then they understand that I'm not going to tell them, but it's done in a way that keeps the stress out of the exchange.

marktole

WKR
Where did you kill that buck?

If it was up your ass you’d know.

Gotta protect that intellectual property....

P.S. I don’t actually tell people that. I give a cardinal direction/geographical area and the state. Example: south central Colorado, and that’s all.

There is certainly a barrier to entry, if that makes sense, to finding a good spot on public land. Someone asking about where you hunt for the purpose of skipping out on the leg work to find their own spots and hunt there is like being in the 2nd grade and someone cutting the lunch line. It’s serious, and it ain’t gonna fly!

It 100% depends on situation how specific I’ll get.

This year a dad with his daughter came down from Montana for antelope. He overheard me talking about taking mine, and very nicely asked for some tips on where to go. I have him more specifics than he probably wanted. I just thought such a cool dad, hunting with his daughter deserves all the help in the world, plus he asked in such a polite and non-specific way.

Most of the people asking me are better elk hunters than I am. I figure people helped me out so much when I was struggling that I’ll help out new lost guys too. Only info I don’t give up I areas I’ve been asked not to talk about. But even at that I’ll give a general idea “off xyz trail”.

gfreidy

WKR
I agree...totally wrong. We work hard to build knowledge and history with our “places” and to be pushed for specifics is lazy. I don’t mind sharing general tricks about what I look for though.

lif

WKR
I think it's rude and I meet the question unkindly. How about you? Am I just a jerk?

Typically, I answer something like "behind the shoulder" or "in the mountains." Often I find people are leading, suggesting locales. Then I agree and say "yes" to every guess.

The season before last I checked in at a cabin and the new owner tried to give me advice on where to hunt--he's new to the area and was passing gossip. Having hunted the area for 15 years or so, he's the third owner I've known. The next night (opener) his wife saw my bull and asked where I took it. She got the "the mountains." She was dense enough to hear the same answer twice. My daughter was there and said I was rude and I explained that she was rude first. I doubt I'll be having them announce my spots to everyone who comes through the door.

My daughter filled her tag and her gym teacher asked her a lot of details and finished with wanting to know where she took her bull. She stone walled him but was stressed about it--she's only 12. The same guy has asked my younger son where we hunt. What a goon.
This question can one from all different angles. Some guys are just greasy douches that are trying to steal spots. Sounds like a description of your daughters teacher. And Some guys are just too naive and don’t know any better. I try to have mercy on those poor souls, because I’m quite certain I was one of them at one time.

OP
H
This question can one from all different angles. Some guys are just greasy douches that are trying to steal spots. Sounds like a description of your daughters teacher. And Some guys are just too naive and don’t know any better. I try to have mercy on those poor souls, because I’m quite certain I was one of them at one time.
I'm actually not sure. He might fall into your latter set. If I were in his position I would be careful not to be mistaken as being from the former set because that would be a pretty douchy move.

Exactly. People took me to places, shared their years of knowledge with me, and basically taught me how to elk hunt. I would be so lost, and likely not even hunt if it weren’t for people sharing locations and tips with me. That’s why I am all for sharing as much as I can.

Heck, I’ve even sent messages to people in these forums sharing some nice spots. I’d hate for them to drive across the country only to have a miserable time and never want to elk hunt again.

But I have no idea how hunting works in other states. We just have so much land that I’m not opposed to adding a few hunters. And even if I give away my prime locations I doubt we’ll end up in the same place anyway.