Asolo Hunter Boots: Extreme & GV

Appalaskan

Lil-Rokslider
I’ve been researching the Asolo Hunter boots. One post made it sound like there were two different models of this: Exteme and GV. Can anyone confirm there are two separate models or are they the same? Is the straight GV just a shorter model?

I have the hunter GV, shorter shank than the extreme.

great boots, extremely stiff mountaineering style of boot. Most waterproof boots I’ve had other than rubber boots. Also given me blisters a few times because they are so dang stiff and made for straight up and down kind of terrain.

OP
Appalaskan

Appalaskan

Lil-Rokslider
STP has both of them on sale right now. They are different.
Have you tried eitherj

great boots, extremely stiff mountaineering style of boot. Most waterproof boots I’ve had other than rubber boots. Also given me blisters a few times because they are so dang stiff and made for straight up and down kind of terrain.

That’s what I’ll be using them in, so I’m looking forward to trying them. I ordered the taller version.

Bcrawford

Lil-Rokslider
I have the Hunter GV (lower version). Well made, durable. These are on the narrower side, which work well for me. Lacing system (not the same on the Extremes) is the best I have found.

Bcrawford

Lil-Rokslider
That’s what I had in mind. So far, so good with mine as well. Thanks for the reply.

OP
Appalaskan

Appalaskan

Lil-Rokslider
I have the Hunter GV (lower version). Well made, durable. These are on the narrower side, which work well for me. Lacing system (not the same on the Extremes) is the best I have found.
Ya, I ordered some. I liked the fit of the boot, but that lacing system...nope.

anymore opinions/feedback on these boots? i have not found a stiff boot i have liked, sounds like these are pretty stiff, but they just look like a killer boot for the price.... i am looking at the shorter version.... can anyone compare the fit vs other asolo boots?

no asolo boots have really wowed me with fit or comfort, but they have been extremely durable boots and besides zamberlan, have remained waterproof longer than any boots i have owned. if anyone has any experience with them, i would like to be talked in or out of buying them

i couldn't take it anymore and ordered the GV's today. i doubt i'll hunt in them, but we are coming up on some nasty terrain at work the next couple months, that was my excuse. i ordered on the small size for me, since it sounds to be a stiff boot, i know i don't want any extra room.

they just look too nice for the price, and the asolo shoes/boots i have owned have stayed waterproof as long as any and much longer than most... i probably won't love them since they are a stiff boot, but curiosity got me, and they may be good for work

i will probably start a running review thread on the GV version of these boots after a little more time in them.... my reason being, i think they are a very unique boot in the hunting space, they may be that unicorn (for some) that is chased in the numerous "i want a high quality mountain hunting boot but don't want to spen 400$" threads

first impression is they almost don't make sense for the price, my history with asolo is "i wish these fit a little better, because they are in the very top in durability" i have had several pairs over the years, none have been their synthetic boots, all have been leather, but my 3 pairs of boots with hard use and are still completely waterproof are 2 pair of asolos, and a pair of zamberlans..... every other boot i have ever owned started leaking in less than 2 seasons, so they have impressed me very much in durability.

their low top shivers have been a favorite of mine for archery elk, but their more substantial boots have just been a little off on fit, no problems, just sore feet after long days in the woods, i can only describe their lasts as a generic fit, and a little clunky, not very refined, but solid boots

the hunter GV has been tempting me for a long time, but the limited info says they are a stiff boot, and i don't care for really stiff boots (like crispi colorado, or worse, kenetrek) just not my thing.... finally just ordered them out of curiosity

what they have going for them is a very refined build vs previous asolo boots i have had, a history of being among the most waterproof boots made, European made, very quality build, and a refined fit (of course that will be subjective) and the obvious price vs similar boots.

they aren't as stiff as i expected, they are slightly more stiff than a crispi nevada, but less than a colorado... maybe right between the 2, the fit is impressively good for me, they will not be the boot for wide feet. they aren't so narrow they are tight on me, but they feel very stable, foot isn't constricted, but it's not going to have much movement side to side, which is ideal for my taste. the toe box is very roomy, not wide, but lots of room above my toes... again, ideal for me.... they are stiff enough to need some break in, but i would have no issues putting in 15 miles in the mountains out of the box, they are extremely comfortable out of the box, only break in will be in the ankle area, which isn't bad at all, very normal on any boot out of the box

they have really good ankle support, i don't love that, but most people do... crispi ankle support system is uncomfortable to me, so i don't care for too much ankle support in the mountains.

time will tell the rest of the story, but if they hold up as well as previous asolo boots have, they will be by far the best bang for your buck boots i have seen/owned.... first impression and past experience with asolo tells me these are a very underrated boot... especially for 230$ regularly and down to 150$ fairly common

woods89

WKR
I have really liked mine, and recently when a pair popped up in the classifieds here, I bought them, so I'm hoping not to need boots for awhile

I have really liked mine, and recently when a pair popped up in the classifieds here, I bought them, so I'm hoping not to need boots for awhile
i'm pretty impressed so far, will be in the mountains all of this week, and if my feelings don't change, i will be buying a second pair soon.

if they go back down to 150$, i'm stocking up... i will probably be in them a lot from Oct-May

Clarence

WKR
I think mine are 3 years old now. They are really holding up well. My only beef is on wet rocks, they sole is probably too hard, and can be slick. They took a little to break in the uppers. They creaked a little at the beginning. I have not seen a comparable boot for the price. My .02

Sent from my SM-G981V using Tapatalk

I think mine are 3 years old now. They are really holding up well. My only beef is on wet rocks, they sole is probably too hard, and can be slick. They took a little to break in the uppers. They creaked a little at the beginning. I have not seen a comparable boot for the price. My .02

Sent from my SM-G981V using Tapatalk
after a good amount of miles in all types of mountain terrain from steep side hilling in collapsing scree, to mucky wet mud soup, and everything in between, for the price they can't be beat... the uppers did take a few days, but not bad

my boots do show wear, but i did wear them several days in really steep rocky country, so the rand is dinged up and the leather is too.

i do want to restate your criticism, because i agree, wet rocks, wet barkless sticks, they are pretty slick, for that reason, i'm leaving them as work boots, but i like them a lot and think they are a great option for the price... they are really light for what they are too, which is awesome.

they are a slightly stiff boot for my preference, but not mountaineering stiff, just not soft soled.... slightly more stiff than a crispi nevada.... nothing like a kenetrek hardscrabble