Asolo neutron

Sorry slinger

Lil-Rokslider
Any elk or western hunters have experience with the asolo neutron? Great price at Sierra right now. I want a boot that is fairly stiff but not a ski boot so I can comfortably use it on flat ground as well as the hills. Some of the YouTube videos look promising but curious if anyone here has used them.

Tauntohawk

Lil-Rokslider
I drove down to a newly opened sierra about 30min from my office last week to try on the neutrons. The construction seemed great for the current price, they were light and stiff with a vibrum sole. They just didn't fit my feet im between a 9 and 9.5 depending on brand and purpose and had to go up to a 10 for the neutron to fit width wise at the mid and forefoot but then the heal pocket had some slip.

I tried the other boot they had, it was the flame I think. Seemed pretty solid but there was some type of stitching at the top of the tongue that gave me some issues. I created a wierd pressure point that wasn't going to work for me. For the price, give them a shot.

Danomite

Lil-Rokslider
I bought a pair of Asolo Neutrons from Sierra Trading Post a few years ago. I've used them for the last three seasons (elk, mule deer, OTC barbary, and an ibex hunt in the Florida Mountains) in addition to regular hiking/camping. They have been comfortable and have held up well. They were stiff enough for the ibex hunt which was a good test. The only issue is I have narrow feet and I was worried they were too narrow at first. They did stretch out a little but if you don't have narrow feet I think they would not fit well.

I just returned by Neutrons to sierra because after a 3 mile hike, a seam rubbed the inside of my right big toe. No amount of breaking-in was going to fix it.

Sucks because I REALLY liked the boot up to that point. Lightweight but still stiff with strong hardware. Laces stayed tight and heel locked. Ordered some Lowa Irox from campsaver. If those don't work, then I'm going to try and different style of Asolo because they seem like serious quality boots.

OP
S

Sorry slinger

Lil-Rokslider
Thanks for the heads up. I’m hoping they ship them soon. Ordered Thursday still haven’t shipped. Don’t they know bear season is right around the corner haha

OP
S

Sorry slinger

Lil-Rokslider
Well guys I got them. Ordered a half size bigger than normal. Glad I did. They are a touch narrow but fit me like they were made for me. So far I’m really liking them. They are a medium stiff boot I would say. Not ski boots but no torsional flex at all. Hopefully this helps someone. They are on sale at Sierra right no for 149.00. Seems like a great buy to me

Well guys I got them. Ordered a half size bigger than normal. Glad I did. They are a touch narrow but fit me like they were made for me. So far I’m really liking them. They are a medium stiff boot I would say. Not ski boots but no torsional flex at all. Hopefully this helps someone. They are on sale at Sierra right no for 149.00. Seems like a great buy to me

Really glad you like them. I'm so jealous they fit you well :cry:. I might try the half-size up road to see if the toe rub isn't as bad. Just worried about heel slip if too big. Hope they work well for you!

OP
S

Sorry slinger

Lil-Rokslider
Yeah I think if I would have ordered a 10 they would have fit with a thin sock but tight width wise. I don’t think heel lift will be an issue as you can lace them tight and not cut off circulation.

Yeah I think if I would have ordered a 10 they would have fit with a thin sock but tight width wise. I don’t think heel lift will be an issue as you can lace them tight and not cut off circulation.

Good to hear. Sierra didn't have the 12 in the neutron when I went to order. So I'm gonna give the Asolo Flame 11.5 Wide a try. Tried the Lowa Irox, 11.5 was way too small but the 12 let me heel slip even with heel lock lacing etc. My boot search continues.

let me know how stiff the flame is. I was looking at that one as well

Got the Flames in yesterday. I'd say the stiffness is almost identical to the Neutron, maybe the slightest bit less stiff but most likely designed to be identical. The 11.5 wide I think is going to work! I'll give them a real workout in the next week or so. But initial impression is very good. Fit is as close to broken-in as a boot gets right out of the box.

One big difference:

The Flame comes with real lacing hardware all the way up. The locking lace hook on the flame is much better than the slip through fabric of the Neutron. It actually locks down the foot lacing. Granted this does add a little bit of weight but marginal in my opinion and I have confidence the boots will stay tight.