Aspen Unit 471

Status
Not open for further replies.
Has anyone done an early season high country mule deer hunt in Unit 471 in Colorado? I put in for a tag this year and just want to start doing some research. Does this unit hold a decent population of Mule deer? Any basic advice for hunting in this unit?

McCrapper

Lil-Rokslider
This will be a tough hunt I think. I also put in here and I will be determined to kill a buck should I get drawn.

McCrapper

Lil-Rokslider
If you were actually determined to kill a buck, you'd be there scouting every weekend instead of refreshing this stupid thread.

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk

Excellent point, except I live in South Texas. Since you live there how about you be more helpful and do some scouting for me so you can contribute to the this thread instead assuming I'm taking shortcuts.👍

Foldem

WKR
Killing a buck won't be hard. Killing a big buck will be. Finding one before the season would be optimum, especially since they will likely have just shed velvet when your hunt starts. Hike, glass, repeat. Have a good 4wd vehicle or ATV.

Elkrunner

FNG
I just picked up the 471 early deer tag on the leftover list. I will be scouting later in August. If you would be willing to share any of your experience from last year it would appreciated. Best of luck on future hunts

Last edited:

Elkrunner

FNG
Thanks gents. It was a cool place up there.
Hi McCrapper- I just picked up the tag off the leftover list today. I will be scouting in a week or two. Anything you’d be willing to share or lessons learned about your hunt would be great! I also don’t see the pic of your buck in this thread anymore. Would love to see it. Thanks!

Thanks gents. It was a cool place up there.
Hi! A group of 3 of us drew the early rifle 471 hunt. Would you be willing to give me some advice on the unit? Looks like a beautiful hunt, but I have never done anything like it before. I’m from Indiana so we will go a few days early to scout, but I can’t go out in the summer to scout. Hoping to hear where/how you found deer. Were they above/below timberline, were they in a certain part of the unit, did you encounter a ton of other hunting pressure, etc. Thanks!

Status
Not open for further replies.