Aspens or heavy timber? Archery season

corylee4870

Lil-Rokslider
I’ve had success finding elk the last few seasons but always in heavy timber on a steep slope. Usually near a bench. I’ve heard elk like aspen groves but I’ve never had any luck finding elk in them. Do you usually find elk in aspens or heavy timber?

Poser

WKR
They’ll use both, but may preference whichever option is thicker while still offering benches. Younger aspen groves that are tall enough to provide cover but not so tall as to prevent undergrowth can be particularly appealing.

• Banned
OP
C

corylee4870

Lil-Rokslider
Thanks Poser. That’s the info I was looking for. I’ve been almost avoiding aspens because I haven’t had luck in them. Now I know what to look for.

Wapiti1

WKR
That bench part is key, IME. They don't like to bed on slopes and find a spot that is fairly level. It might only be 3 feet wide, but that bed will be level.

I've not seen elk in the aspens early as much as late season unless its dry. Aspens are where the water is.

Aspens don't really offer the elk anything special unless there is food, water or security there. Late season, the aspens themselves can be a food source and elk with browse them.

Jeremy

jmez

WKR
Only time I've seen elk in Aspens is walking through them to get somewhere else.

Sent from my moto g power using Tapatalk

11boo

WKR
I’ve taken a lot of elk in the aspens, with a rifle. I have yet to fill a bow tag, but all my close but no cigar bow encounters have been in the thicker stuff.

Our season is here, and I will be spending a lot of time in the thick.

All there is here is super heavy timber. Your best bet is to set up as close as you dare and try to lure them in to you in the thickest, nastiest spot you can set up.

The second best strategy for me is get the wind in your face and stomp in doing your best to sound like an elk and stay completely hidden.

Elk need Food, water, cover. There generally isn't much food in timber, but there is in Aspens. The question is WHEN are they there. Once guns start popping, the elk know in heavily hunted areas to head for the timber during the day and come out to eat/drink at night. When I have seen elk in Aspens during hunting hours, it is generally on private land. That said, i like to set up where timber meets the Aspens.

Have also had luck where aspens meet oakbrush. Lots of things to eat in oakbrush hillsides. But that is at lower elevations