Aspirin - Help with Altitude Headaches or no?

feldy0725

FNG
Was recently recommended to take Baby Aspirin each day of the week prior to coming to Colorado to help with altitude headaches. We are going to be consistently around 10k on our OTC Bow Hunt. I live in Texas near Denton. What are yalls thoughts or experiences?

reaperukon

Lil-Rokslider
Meh…..NSAIDs help with headache, but definitely don’t prevent it. I’ve used acetazolamide in the past when coming from Texas to Utah. I take it with me now that I live in Utah but I don’t hardly use it. I give it to folks coming from other elevations or are in poor shape (we do some horse hunts and it allows some fat dudes to come with us).

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
F

feldy0725

FNG
Meh…..NSAIDs help with headache, but definitely don’t prevent it. I’ve used acetazolamide in the past when coming from Texas to Utah. I take it with me now that I live in Utah but I don’t hardly use it. I give it to folks coming from other elevations or are in poor shape (we do some horse hunts and it allows some fat dudes to come with us).

Thank you sir, I am in decent shape so hoping good shape and plentiful hydration will reduce that the headaches..

Oakman

Lil-Rokslider
Aspirin has no role in elevation, people who are taking it may have placebo effect. Be careful of overdose and toxicity, if you have time and logistics, try to mock the experience by going to similar elevation around your living area.
I agree with reaperukon regarding Acetazolamide, please note that it may help for the first 3 days but after that your body will acclimatize and they are not effective, read medication information carefully, consult your dr. and don't take it if you or your party have kidney issues.

Good luck

Marbles

WKR
Classified Approved
WMS recommendeds ibuprofen for altitude sickness. There is a small study that shows a benefit to aspirin, but it was using 320 mg tabs every 4 hours. WMS states there is insufficient evidence to recommend aspirin (same with Tylenol).

Over all, stay well hydrated, get good sleep (especially on the first few nights), avoid alcohol (again, especially on the first few days), and try to give time to acclimate (drive in rather than fly, stay at lower elevation the first night, Etc).

81mg (baby) aspirin daily is about as far as one can get from toxicity.

Attachments

• PIIS1080603219300900.pdf
    435.7 KB · Views: 4
  • PIIS1080603219300900.pdf
    435.7 KB · Views: 0

reaperukon

Lil-Rokslider
WMS recommendeds ibuprofen for altitude sickness. There is a small study that shows a benefit to aspirin, but it was using 320 mg tabs every 4 hours. WMS states there is insufficient evidence to recommend aspirin (same with Tylenol).

Over all, stay well hydrated, get good sleep (especially on the first few nights), avoid alcohol (again, especially on the first few days), and try to give time to acclimate (drive in rather than fly, stay at lower elevation the first night, Etc).

81mg (baby) aspirin daily is about as far as one can get from toxicity.

I’m loving that you posted studies. That a way!