Assault bike or rowing machine?

So running is out for me for a while do to some serious tendinitis in my foot. To keep conditioning i plan to buy either a concept 2 rowing machine or assault bike, or both.
what are you guys using? Pros,cons, maybe other options.
Thanks in advance

JPIDAHO

FNG
IMO Rowing Machine machine get better back and ab engagement, but form really matters to avoid a back injury. Really easy to do HIT as there is so much upper and lower body. I used to use one at the gym. One machine Id get a rower. Having said all that the bike is great but I do not think I engage my core as much and the HIT training really is directed more to the lower body. At home I have a Stages bike, integrates with Zwift etc which keeps my distracted.

As far as outdoor workout stuff, I hike with a Outdoorsman Atlas trainer. This may not be great for you because of your injury.

Hope you turn the corner.

As far as the brands listed above, Ive not used either.

adamkolesar

Lil-Rokslider
Rowing machine for sure. The movement closely simulates a dead lift. Much higher level engagement of your core with the benefit of cardio.

OP
Mdfowlman2
Unfortunately the concept 2 is out of stock, I was going to buy a used one but much like ammo right now, people are buying them up and reselling for $400 over msrp.
Put my name on the waiting list with, probably about 5 weeks out

I've never used an assault bike but I'm a fan of the concept 2 rower. Twenty minutes on that thing whoops my ass.

I just got a model D and it’s a great machine.

Watch Amazon. They will come in stock but go fast.

bat-cave

WKR
I have both and they are both a great workout. If I had to choose one and only one ... C2 Rower. This being said the Echo Bike (Rogue version) is an awesome machine and can destroy you and your soul faster than any other machine ... IMHO. For higher intensity + shorter duration, the bike wins IMHO. The bike can also really destroy your legs in an amazingly short period of time. If you're looking for longer cardio workouts, my preference would be the rower. My .02 is if you have the $ and space for both, just get on Rogue's notification list and jump when they become available and get both!

OP
Mdfowlman2
I have both and they are both a great workout. If I had to choose one and only one ... C2 Rower. This being said the Echo Bike (Rogue version) is an awesome machine and can destroy you and your soul faster than any other machine ... IMHO. For higher intensity + shorter duration, the bike wins IMHO. The bike can also really destroy your legs in an amazingly short period of time. If you're looking for longer cardio workouts, my preference would be the rower. My .02 is if you have the $ and space for both, just get on Rogue's notification list and jump when they become available and get both!
That may be what I do, the assault bike is available now so I’ll order that and some other equipment and then grab the tower when it come available. The way things are right now If I decided I didn’t like either one I’m sure I’d have zero trouble selling it.

PVHunter

Lil-Rokslider
tl;dr - have both; recommend buying both - you will not regret it.

A buddy recently asked me which I'd hang onto if I could only hang onto one. I was hard pressed to give an answer. I'd lean rower because I enjoy it more (even when I'm pulling a hard 2K), but all-out interval work on the assault bike has yielded significant fitness gains. They're sufficiently different from one another - and awesome - that you won't regret having both. I also find it's nice to change things up so you don't get tired of working on the same machine day in and day out.

Now adding a ski erg from C2 would fall into the bucket of "awesome but unnecessary" - I haven't been able to justify it relative to the other pieces of equipment.

I would add that Concept2 has the best managed wait-list experience I've encountered over the last year. They provide weekly updates on your place "in line" and my turn came up as projected. I waited 3 - 4 months IIRC.

mikkel318

Lil-Rokslider
I second the BOTH answer. Concept 2 rowers are solid and built to last. Assault Original Bike is unreal for conditioning and I can't speak to the longevity, but they are nice.

RichC64

FNG
Some 14-15 years back on the old forum Weathered/Speargrass? Talked about the 10km - 40min challenge on the C2.

I’ve been on the C2 ever since. I do 20-40 mins 3 times a week topped up with either a pyramid on a spin bike or stair master to give an hour of cardio before hitting the weights or circuit.

The c2 gives a incredible core and leg work out. Good for flexibility too.

I used to do a lot of triathlon and found the c2 and cycle a lower impact option to running to get your base line fitness at the start of the season. Translates well to hunting fitness.

If you have a bike grab a fluid trainer to complement the c2.

A stairmaster is a great indoor trainer also or run stairs.

So another vote for the C2.

LostArra

WKR
I'm a cyclist so the indoor bike carries over better for me and my strength training is with barbells.

I despise indoor cardio training so it's HIIT or nothing. That said, the C2 is probably the most rugged and effective piece of indoor cardio gear made. I just don't need both.

Rower is great for core but it doesn't give me nearly the cardio work out as an assault bike. Do a 30 second max effort cals 30 second off for 3 min on each. Row sprints are doable assault bike sprints have made me puke before...YMMV.

jmez

WKR
I second both if budget allows. Both great machines. The bike, or "Devil's Tricycle" is a well earned name. I've yet to find another machine or exercise that will make you lay on the floor in the fetal position and speak in tongues like the Ass bike.

I really like the rower but it is hard on one of my knees, jumpers knee I guess they call it. I used to row 5 days a week and loved it, but now I have to mix it into my workouts sparingly or I pay for it later. I spend a more time on the bike now and weights. Something to consider if you have knee issues, definitely worth messing around with if you can if you think you might have This problem before buying. If not, the rower is an awesome all around workout. Getting old is getting old.