Assault Bike Workouts/Rowing Workouts

stank.243

Lil-Rokslider
I will preface this by saying I like to lift weights and used to enjoy running, but recently running just hasn't been enjoyable like it used to so I am switching things up a bit.
My gym recently got an assault bike and I am loving how badly it can kick my butt after a few minutes of "10 secs max, 20 secs slow". Does anyone have a workout or two that they enjoy on the assault bike or possibly the rowing machine (another new favorite). They seem to share a lot of similarities in workout structure with what I have seen in google searches.

Also does anyone strictly use these for cardio? What are your results (vs just running/hiking) like in real world circumstances whether it be hiking or just climbing some stairs at the office? Do you see a major need to supplement with other forms of cardio? I plan on doing some hiking once or twice a week as well.

Thanks guys!

THBZN

Lil-Rokslider
I will preface this by saying I like to lift weights and used to enjoy running, but recently running just hasn't been enjoyable like it used to so I am switching things up a bit.
My gym recently got an assault bike and I am loving how badly it can kick my butt after a few minutes of "10 secs max, 20 secs slow". Does anyone have a workout or two that they enjoy on the assault bike or possibly the rowing machine (another new favorite). They seem to share a lot of similarities in workout structure with what I have seen in google searches.

Also does anyone strictly use these for cardio? What are your results (vs just running/hiking) like in real world circumstances whether it be hiking or just climbing some stairs at the office? Do you see a major need to supplement with other forms of cardio? I plan on doing some hiking once or twice a week as well.

Thanks guys!

Here is a good one to do with a training partner using a rower:

TAILPIPE (from Gym Jones)
-row 250m as quickly as you can with good form. Hop off the rower and hold 2 53lb Kettlebells (or dumbbells) racked beneath your chin while partner rows 250m

Alternate and repeat for 3 rounds. Keep the KBs racked up nice and high, no rests, record your time. Way harder than it sounds....the racked weight is crushing while you are trying to catch your breath, and all of it pretty much sucks. Good times!

TripleJ

WKR
Try this one out...

3 rounds for Time:
500M Row
20 Burpees
500M Assault Bike
1 Minute Rest

I have been working in a new rowing workout.

500m in two minutes or less.
As many push-ups with my feet on the rower rail as I can get.
Zercher dumbell squats with 80-90lb, racked up fairly high on my chest.

In the intervals, I'm going for 50 total reps. So if I get 30 push-ups, I'm going for 20 squats.

Shooting for five rounds of that.

jmez

WKR
Minute 1 5 cals
Minute 2 6 cals
Minute 3 7 cals
Minute 4 8 cals
Etc
Continue until you can no longer finish the Cal number in a minute.

Can do this one on the bike and the rower.

Sent from my moto z3 using Tapatalk

JBrew

Lil-Rokslider
Row/Cleans/Bike/Cleans/Row is something I've been working with, a couple days a wk here lately. It's really nothing more than cardio acceleration, but it'll get ya. I'll put about 30-40 minutes into it and then do some core/plyo work as a finisher.

On the Assault bike I go 2 minutes easy followed by 30 second sprints. I set requirements before I start. Like at least 800 calories for easy and 2000 for sprint. I’ll run that continuously for 30-45 minutes. The sprint time should be adjusted for what you can handle without letting up before the bell goes off.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

bjones926

Lil-Rokslider
For good rower and assault bike workouts, check some of the workouts that Onnit posts.

Example of a tough one:
10 Thrusters (dumbbell or kettlebell)
100m Row
200m Row
300m Row
add 100m for each row until you end at
1000m Row

dogman11

FNG
Take time to go all out on the assault bike for 30 seconds and see how many calories you can burn!
I got 43 but watched a guy get 52. It will make you want to puke, in 30 seconds!

muddy

FNG
We just got assault bikes and assault runners in the past 6 months... I do not like them Sam i am.

I'm currently in the ramping up phase training for my 3rd marathon in 12 months and I'll do tempo workouts on them and go back and forth. 5 minutes slow bike then run, 5 minutes medium back and forth, then 5 minutes sprint each.

Usually only torture myself for 60-90 minutes but the 2-3 hour training stints start in 2 weeks, going to be brutal.

Mix it up for distance, cals and length.
Row 5k rest 5 min row 2.5k
10 cal bike 10 pull ups x 5-10 rounds.
28/21/15/9 cals on bike rower and thrusters or air squats.
Tabatas are good on the bike. Try to maintain a cal effort.

bigbuckdj

WKR
I can totally appreciate the hate for running. I’ve been rowing and ass biking in its place for a while but I’m thinking of going back to running more. Do any of you guys feel like you’re missing something by not running a few miles every so often?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk