Assessment of gear used on my hunt

welpro222

WKR
Hey guys I just got back from a 5 day and 4 night high mountain hunt here in Washington state. Although my hunt was unsuccessful, I want to give my review and opinion on some of the items I used for the past 5 days (most of which I have used for the first time). Before I begin I want to state that I have purchased all my gear either used or new and I am not writing a review to help a specific brand. I believe there are many different brands and ways of doing things differently that work just as great, if not better. Most of the gear I am reviewing is stuff I used for the first time.

Bino chest pouch system

My first and favorite thing to play with this season is the Alaskan Guide Creation bino harness or just playing with a bino pouch in general for the first time. My favorite thing about was my binos were protected and not swing around on my chest. I have used the factory straps and Cabelas bino harness systems in the past. The next best thing was all the compartments (yeah, I bought the one with all the pockets) the pockets are fairly small but can hold some handy items at ready instead of removing your pack to get a headlamp. I kept my map in the back pocket, a small multitool in one side, chapstick and emergency firestarter in the other side, a headlamp in the basement pocket, my Garmin foretrek GPS in the front, and my small compass in the sleeve on top. Again, this is my first time using a (chest rig) and it will be going with me for all future hunts.

Frame/pack system

I have used Kifaru frame since my first hunting trip last year and is all I have used since. This year I got to use the newest Kifaru hunting frame with my Nomad pack system. I have no experience with other brand packs, besides the Mystery Ranch NICE frame which was too short for me. The Kifaru frame was very comfortable and took the weight off my shoulders like advertised. Now I will admit, I love the Kifaru brand and own a few of the packs and frames. With the customer service and super American made quality product, I see no reason to switch brands for me. If I had the opportunity to try out other brands, I would love to. I guess my review of my Kifaru frame was to say that a quality frame/pack regardless of brand can give you comfort as long as your legs can handle the weight.

Shelter system

This was my first time using a floorless system. I got my hands a Kifaru Megatarp this year, so this was my shelter of choice. I love how simple and quick it was to setup a tarp shelter, but it was a pain to find a level spot where we were at. The weather was very nice for the first 2 days in and everything was super dry in the area, so crawling into my shelter was easy and mud free. On the third day it rained all day, mostly light rain nothing heavy. The inside stayed dry for the most part, the entry way got soaked from having door unzipped for entry and exiting. I had some water seep in because I was on a slight hill (my fault) but my bivy kept my sleeping bag dry. I really like the setup, but may think about bringing my Sawtooth next time for some room to stand up in it. With the rain, it would have been nice for me and my brother inlaw to be able to sit in the shelter rather then stand out in rain. My brother inlaw was using his hammock setup with a tarp over it and it was nice to sit under, but I had the wood stove in my shelter which was nice when the rain came and the temps dropped. Anyways I like the floorless setup, but a bigger setup would be nice depending on weather.

Boots

This is my first hunt with my higher quality hunting boots, I used military surplus boots in the past which worked OK. After getting bad heel rub and sore feet from miles of hiking I decided it was time to get a pair a good hunting boots. I scored a pair of Lowa Tibets GTX boots that were my size used off the classifieds here. What a difference in comfort and had no hot spots. Now I know we all have different feet, but I am a firm believer in quality made in a Western European country or USA boots. I have heard good things about the Crispi Idaho GTX boots, so I may try these out next time.

Clothing

I think all hunting brand clothing will work great, but I love the Kryptek Inferno camo for us in hunter orange states. I'm not going to talk about the Kryptek clothing line because I have no experience with the other brands out there (KUIU, First Lite, Sitka, Cabelas, etc) I did wear a First Lite merino wool long sleeve for the time and was happy with that. I am a fan of merino wool now after wearing it for the past 2 hunts. Its warm and less stink after a few days. I hope the other brands catch on and create a hunters orange pattern because its nice not having to mess with a vest that you can't really see when you have your pack and bino pouch on.

Last edited:
Nice write-up. I've been using a small Sierra designs flashlight one-man tent and I really wish I had more room for gear. Considering a larger tent but I may consider a tarp/floorless setup like the one you're using.

I added the Klymit Static V2 to my setup this year and I think it's very comfortable if you sleep on your back or your side. I have 9 nights on it and no leaks so far.

I really liked my new Icebreaker merino base layers, beanie, and neck gaiter I bought this year. I'm interested in trying other brands of merino to see the differences.

I bought an Olight s2 baton flashlight. It uses one 18650 or two cr123 batteries. Really nice as a hand held light and it also works well with my Fenix headband.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

OP
W

welpro222

WKR
The megatarp is as small as I would want to get. The floorless shelter is a great option in any good weather scenarios, if its gonna be wet and snowy a stove is a must. I have a Klymit Static V2 also and love it almost more then my xtherm. I took the xtherm for weight savings and its higher R value. Im also gonna keep trying other brands of merino wool for comparisons, but I'm liking First Lite stuff.

Look up the Lumo Nebo key chain lamp, they worked great as a tent lamp. Super bright for a small light and didn't have to change the batteries once (3x LR44). I got a package of 4 for $16.50 on ebay.

jm1607

WKR
I'm making the switch from the Xtherm to the Klymit Static V2 insulated myself. The Xtherm is light but so fragile, already repaired a couple holes. I think I would rather start hauling 4 more oz (or whatever it is) and take something with a heavy duty 75D bottom I don't have to worry about.

Last edited:
OP
W

welpro222

WKR
I've only used my Xtherm for about 7 nights total this year and haven't had any problems, I just made sure to lay a ground sheet down first. I am also considering the insulated model of the Klymit Static V2 mainly because of its price and being 3 inches wider.