At Home Bow Vise Options

LWPost

FNG
Looking to add a vise and maybe some arrow building equipment to my shop this winter, mostly just in case of emergency when I cannot get to my pro shop. I've seen some folks talk about using an affordable bike vise as an alternative to $$ bow vices.

Has anyone done this? thanks

MT257

WKR

Post #2. The spewing Jason vise I got over on archerytalk has worked well for me.

406unltd

WKR
I use these. If you are also a rifle hunter it adds even more value. I prefer this vise because it grabs the grip of a bow and not the limbs.

OR Archer

WKR
Do you have a press already? If not put the money you’d spend on a vise towards a press first. If you have a press then I’d suggest the OMP vise with the micro level. Little expensive but worth it when setting 1st and 2nd axis on sights.
For arrow building a Bitz jig, Sirius archery arrow spinner/squarer, and a grain scale.

Mikido

WKR
Yes I have. ~$30 bike vice off Amazon, ~60 bowmaster pulley cable press with split limb brackets. I use them on my past parallel bow no problem.

4rcgoat

WKR
Looking to add a vise and maybe some arrow building equipment to my shop this winter, mostly just in case of emergency when I cannot get to my pro shop. I've seen some folks talk about using an affordable bike vise as an alternative to $$ bow vices.

Has anyone done this? thanks
Bought one of these couple years ago off Amazon, purchased it for the bikes,but found out it does pretty well for working on bows. It wont do what the high end vices will do but works great for adding accessories or tying in peeps and d loops. I was able to plumb up the bow with a laser to set the level on my sight as well.

Attachments

• 20211225_072533.jpg
    20211225_072533.jpg
    125.9 KB · Views: 108
  • 20211225_072741.jpg
    20211225_072741.jpg
    143.1 KB · Views: 97

Trial153

WKR
I don’t like vices that attach via a stabilizer mount. Thea re a pain in the ass.

Two vices that stand out for me are the OMP versa and the BAP ball mounted vice. The BAP will double up and can be used to mount other objects as well, guns for example. So it’s more versatile. Though for pure bow vise the OMP is hard to beat for easy use and adjustment

I have the BAP ball mount and the newer pro shop vise. I’d be fine with either and use both regularly - but the ball mount is the better and more versatile of the 2 BAP vises. If you get the ball mount, definitely get the micro adjust plate with it. The pro shop has micro adjust built in but the ball mount is the cats whiskers.

Pro shop is better for quicker set ups and is easier to get the bow in and out and to rotate. But not enough to outweigh the versatility of the ball mount.

I much prefer the vise mounting in the grip as opposed to the limb. Probably all preference but I had a OMP and sold it to get the BAP.

MNWILD15

Lil-Rokslider
October Mountain Products Wide Limb bow vise is a solid setup with a lot of adjustability. Also has the option to mount to a bench or they sell a stand for it also.

Adipose

FNG
Bought one of these couple years ago off Amazon, purchased it for the bikes,but found out it does pretty well for working on bows. It wont do what the high end vices will do but works great for adding accessories or tying in peeps and d loops. I was able to plumb up the bow with a laser to set the level on my sight as well.
I have this same one. I have an old Axion stabilizer I keep with it, the clamp fits around it perfectly. I also have the type that clamps to the limbs, but prefer the Bike Vise attached to the stabilizer.