at what point would you stop hunting ?

Moserkr

WKR
Grandpa is 95 this month and he has been preparing food plots by hand for pheasants and scouting ponds for ducks this year. 2 years ago he shot his first elk. Last year he shot his limits of pheasants in south dakota in January hunting in near 0* temps. I know this is not normal for most and we are blessed but…

His secret is he never stops - work, chores, hunting, life. Still sells real estate to this day. He may have crossed traveling long distances by car and some other little things off the list when he was younger, and now lives within limits, but he is as active as possible.

Maybe slow down, learn new limits, but never stop. Its a little daunting that hes out hunting alone sometimes, but again, limits - he doesnt go into sloughs alone after ducks. Family and friends try to go with him as much as possible.

WCB

WKR
If I literally physically can't do it any more would be it. And at that point hopefully I'll be dead.

My grandpa is 91 just went out and shot a Turkey only a couple days after having a minor stroke a month or so ago. He spends the majority of his time in the fall in a stand or traveling hunting somewhere. He has hunted all over the world and has the sheep slam plus some and something as simple as shooting a doe or shooting into a flock of geese gets him worked up.

My dad will be 67 this year and hunts more than I do. He is just getting to the point where all day death marches aren't his idea of fun anymore. But will still out hunt most people I know.

Most times I don't even think twice about it. But then I read things on who guys are turning 50 or 55 and start using age as an excuse and think to my self WTF? And most the time they are weekend warriors any ways.

Marble

WKR
The more active you are through out life, the longer you'll be active through life.

For the OP, I would look into physical therapy that is geared specifically for you. You would be amazed at what type of gains in balance and strength you could get from just light exercise.

My dad is 71 and still climbs the mountain with me. He is active and always doing something, but I wish he would do something a little more strenuous and regular. He needs to loose about 20 pounds, but really in comparison, he's in better shape then most men in their 50s.

Sent from my SM-G986U using Tapatalk

coldchow

FNG
I live on a farm and have deer all around me. At 71 I still climb into a ladder or box stand, and still go to Colorado, Montana, or New Mexico every year for elk. When I get too old to climb into a stand I'll switch to a ground blind. When I get too old for that I plan on hunting deer from the cab of my pickup. I'll hunt till I pass on.

Geoff101

FNG
Im 80 and half way to 81 and started slowing down two years ago when I couldnt handle the recoil of the old family heirloom Springfield or the .44 "Dirty Harry" magnum. The Thompson Center .54 black powder gun became a chore to carry and is the only one I still have and that will soon be gone.

My youngest sons friend and his dad keeps me supplied with deer meat.

I limit myself now to a .22 for chipmunks, squirrels and other pests in the back yard of 5 acres here in rural NH.
Even saltwater bluefish and stripers aggravates the back.

This is pretty much my opinion. Got two more out of state and a few more in state hunts but enthusiasm is wearing thin.
Never thought it would get this way, almost seems like a pain anymore...

Good on others where it's still a highlight of the year.

My dad told his 3 boys he wasn't going to buy anymore slugs for deer hunting, so when he ran out he was done. He got 6 more boxes for Christmas. Lol he showed us and went and bought a new 20ga shotgun so he didn't have any slugs, guess what he got for Christmas. Lol

Skip_Dog

FNG
When I get to old and week to hunt, I will become a road hunting expert. I need to have some grandchildren who will retrieve my game. I have 3 little girls and only 2 like to hunt with me but are still a bit young. Next year will be my middle ones first year out and she is exited. My oldest does not like hunting anymore. My youngest can't wait but she is still to young to make up her mind.

Hunt till you drop. I will...

I will hunt until.i no longer am able. I'll be 57 in a few days and still have zero limitations and more time and desire than ever.
I would like to think I hunt a lot smarter than when I was a young kid starting out.
But usually I dont.
I'm sure as I age I will have to limit the stupid stuff and hunt within my means.
But I know I wont.
When I am physically unable to do it what grand tales I will tell from my death bed.
No regrets.

I was able to get my Dad out, on his last deer hunt, 3 weeks before he ended up passing. Albeit, it was more/less a drive in the pickup, around the neighbors farm, with Dad nodding off between groups of deer!

When’s there’s will, I would always make a way for my Dad. #MissHim

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
x2 man. Lost dad to cancer 7 years ago this 8/31. Lost my big bro to cancer 2 years ago this 8/19. I miss them both EVERY single day.

Yarak

WKR
The only times in life I can think that a man needs to stop hunting Is
1 when he becomes a danger to himself and others
2 when the Lord calls him home
Everything else is just a obstacle to overcome

Calcoyote

FNG
My dad had a friend in New Mexico that hiked in and shot and packed out a bull elk when he was 81 years old. My grandfather (RIP) helped me pack out an antelope when he was 82 years old. It was only about a half mile from the road, but it did require some work and he still had enough energy to help me hang and skin it out when we got back to camp.