at what point would you stop hunting ?

Opah

WKR
Getting up in the years, and have had to let go of Pack in and out hunting / fishing / camping and hiking, just not physically capable to do it any more.
I still have a Doe Hole I can Archery hunt does that is not that strenuous to get in and out of, and I could if necessary get my truck pretty far into, But if this Locale area go away that is basically it for my Deer hunting
I still have cotton tail, Quail, dove and wild Boar.
Guess I should be happy I have them and I know they are not going anywhere for a long
time to come. Hell the above I could do in a wheel chair if I had to.
So it looks like untell I and unable to get around I will be hunting something or another

That's definitely something only you can answer.

I know some of my most fun experiences in the woods have been bowhunting cottontails.
I personally believe that's one of the best ways to see how much guys truly love hunting is they grind the same for any game. Be it trophy elk, or rabbit.
It sounds like you love the hell out of it, and I don't foresee you stopping ever. Haha!

"When the last deer disappears into the morning mist, When the last elk vanishes from the hills, When the last buffalo falls on the plains, I will hunt mice for I am a hunter and I must have my freedom." — Chief Joseph

I can only nod my head in agreement and understanding.

Yesterday my wife asked me to find LED bulbs for her reading light in our camper. Was a little let down once I had them in hand.

Point being, if you are a hunter you will hunt. Might not be pack in for moose, but it will always be a part of your life.
Well said. My indoor cat with one eye got out the other day. I tracked it down like I was hunting bobcat to find it.

87TT

WKR
"When the last deer disappears into the morning mist, When the last elk vanishes from the hills, When the last buffalo falls on the plains, I will hunt mice for I am a hunter and I must have my freedom." — Chief Joseph

I can only nod my head in agreement and understanding.
20180127_220124.jpg

Attachments

• 20180127_220124.jpg
    20180127_220124.jpg
    67.2 KB · Views: 43

landman650

Lil-Rokslider
When me hunting becomes a burden on anyone (not including my wife cause I’m sure she’d think it’s a burden even now). Meaning someone HAS to help me pack or clean game, etc. That being said, my grandpa is still alive and almost 90 and I’d do anything to let him hunt with me even if it’s just in a deer stand. Its not a burden in my eyes.

My dad drew a priority 16 Bull Moose, priority 5 Cow Elk, and a priority 4 Mule buck last year at age 81. Had success on the Moose and Mule deer. Couldn’t have asked for a better season, not for the success but the month long memories of his past hunts.

He told me he was done after last season. Just put in this seasons draws with him this week.
I know he may never draw another tag, other than general whitetail.
That being said, my son and I hope the story never ends!!

I was able to get my Dad out, on his last deer hunt, 3 weeks before he ended up passing. Albeit, it was more/less a drive in the pickup, around the neighbors farm, with Dad nodding off between groups of deer!

When’s there’s will, I would always make a way for my Dad. #MissHim

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Gilbeke

FNG
Getting up in the years, and have had to let go of Pack in and out hunting / fishing / camping and hiking, just not physically capable to do it any more.
I still have a Doe Hole I can Archery hunt does that is not that strenuous to get in and out of, and I could if necessary get my truck pretty far into, But if this Locale area go away that is basically it for my Deer hunting
I still have cotton tail, Quail, dove and wild Boar.
Guess I should be happy I have them and I know they are not going anywhere for a long
time to come. Hell the above I could do in a wheel chair if I had to.
So it looks like untell I and unable to get around I will be hunting something or another
Tough question. For me ill go as long as I can. I am very fortunate to live next to core land and can always pitch my blind out close. Dont get up the trees like I used too.

Example #1 - a good family friend (mid 70s) who organized our annual Kansas pheasant hunt for the last 20 years has stopped going. He can’t do the walking and doesn’t want to ride along on an ATV / UTV. We asked him to come along and block or just to drink beer and hang out But he says he doesn’t want to go if he can’t hunt.

Example #2 - my stepdad pictured below. 80s. We call him the bionic man because of all the joint replacements and fusion. His last few years of fly fishing have involved being carried out of various creeks by his buddies and at least twice (that he admits to) by fire/police/EMS. He uses canes and sometimes a walker to get to the water. He says when he can’t walk he will crawl. His fishing is closer to home and in less treacherous locations and, to be honest, it causes him a lot of physical pain, but he is still on the water, still in the game.

i think working on you health and fitness to do preserve your health and fitness as long as possible is the most important Thing. The next most important thing is redefining your hunting style based on your changing capabilities. just do the thing, at whatever level you can. As my father and the outdoorsman I know of his generation have passed, some of their greatest regrets are the things they left undone.

FE7C7670-64B1-4CCE-A273-6747583E61DC.jpeg

I think I'd give up hunting if we moved out of Alaska.

We are blessed in Alaska with an abundance of public land and it is relatively easy to get away from competition.

Most of the lower-48 would likely seem too crowded...my memories are of Idaho/Utah/Montana 20-40 years ago.

Marbles

WKR
Classified Approved
My advice, don't! Staying active is very important to maintain quality of life and independence as you age. If hunting provides motivation to get out and move, than use that and keep doing it as long as you are not endangering others. Note, I did not say inconveniencing nor did I mention your own safety. Your safety is your choice, too many people think putting aging adults in glass bubbles to eke out a little more time is a good idea in our society (though if that is what you want for yourself, go for it).

Beendare

WKR
I can envision a point at which it’s not worth the effort.

Im not looking forward to the day when I can’t draw my bow anymore- thankfully it is still a ways off

-