At what temperature do you choose insulated?

Hardstalk

WKR
Curious if there is an average threshold that you grab the insulated boots instead of non-insulated. I have been playing with several different merino sock companies and am noticing a big difference in comfortability with non insulated boots down into the teens.

Floorguy

WKR
I don't think I have ever gotten a pair of boots that didn't have any thinsulate in them except one pair. In college going through ROTC they issued non insulated boots and I wore them to the winter survival course, in Fairbanks AK in Feb. Amazingly I still have all of my toes:)

jmez

WKR
Depends on what I'm doing. If I'm going to be walking I don't use insulated boots. If going to be walking/sitting then when it gets into the teens. Straight stand hunting when it gets below freezing.

Ozz08

WKR
I haven't worn insulated boots for three years. I normally hunt early but in 2011 I hunted the sierras in mid October with 18" of snow on the ground and temps in the low to mid teens. My feet never got cold while working through the snow and they only got a slight chill when I stopped to glass. I wear meindl Denali uninsulated boots and the only change I made was using a heavier merino sock than I wear in the early season. Another thing is that the Denali boots are known to feel quit a bit warmer than other uninsulated boots and I would definitely agree.

sk1

WKR
never out west so far......not that i wouldnt like a 400g thinsulate boot for the winter, i just dont have one. i did my cow hunts in 12 to 30 inches of snow with non-insulated boots in about 5 to 15 degree weather. it's fine as long as you don't need to sit for long periods of time, and if they do start getting cold you know that as soon as you can get moving again they'll warm up. my feet get cold really easy, so sitting for too long in those temps isn't an option!

Ross

Super Moderator
Staff member
Once I start getting into the low 20's and or snow I bring out my Cabelas Outfitters with 1000 gram insulation. My feet stay on the cold side, so come late October I am typically wearing these boots into Novemberr.

I have only non insulated. Hunted elk in Nv late November with highs in the teens and no problem just changed to thicker wool socks and when i had to dit snd glass changed my socks so my feet were not wer from sweat. I Have a pair of hanwag alaskas gtxs.

for me its more about activity vs temp. if im inactive id go insulated in the teens, if hiking itd have to be below 0 to go insulated. this weekend we were out in the teens to mid 20s in uninsulatd boots with a liner and midwt merino and my feet were very comfortable

2rocky

WKR
My Pacs are insulated, my Leather hikers aren't. If I'm going to be in mud/snow then the pacs go.

rpm4463

Lil-Rokslider
I've had this same question before also. If I'm on the trail hiking to my secret spot, then I have not problem staying warm. But, once you settle down to glass (or nap) your feet can get cold. I usually have noninsulated unless I'm in a treestand or poor weather with mixed rain and snow. My feet have gotten colder while wearing insulated boots because my feet will sweat more. Two years ago I did a 10 day trek in Nepal. Once we were up in the mountains the temp was in teh 0's at night and maybe 50's during the day (similar to many hunting seasons). I wore my leather hiking boots the entire time and never had any problems, but we had dry conditions and I was constantly moving.