At what yardage do you dial?

16Bore

WKR
So let me see if I’ve got this straight. Long thread and late to the party.

1. Sight in at 100 yards. Set turret at “0”
2. Adjust turret to whatever my preferred “walking around distance is”. Let’s say my preference is 200 yards, and I need 1.8MOA.
Turn the turret to 1.8. (Old skool 165 TSX 30-06).
3. So now I’m set from 0-200 without touching a thing. If a 350 yard opportunity presents itself, essentially just “finish the job” and turn the turret to 6.0MOA.

Obviously confirming those drops on paper beforehand.

So let me see if I’ve got this straight. Long thread and late to the party.

1. Sight in at 100 yards. Set turret at “0”
2. Adjust turret to whatever my preferred “walking around distance is”. Let’s say my preference is 200 yards, and I need 1.8MOA.
Turn the turret to 1.8. (Old skool 165 TSX 30-06).
3. So now I’m set from 0-200 without touching a thing. If a 350 yard opportunity presents itself, essentially just “finish the job” and turn the turret to 6.0MOA.

Correct.

I put that theory to use this year.

Sighted in 30-06 at 100. Aligned turret "0" to match.

Confirmed drops out to 700 (no intention of hunting that far, but steel is fun)

Set turret to 0.5 Mils (200 yds) and went hunting. I have that yardage marked on my turret, so it's easy to check at a glance.

Aug 11. Got busted by a ram. He split and dropped out of sight into to a low spot at less than 200. I set up on a rock and hoped. Ram came back in to view on the other side still hauling. Unlucky for him, just before he went over the ridge he paused for a second to look back. Partner said "365!", so I held a little air over his back and dropped him.

Head was still up, so I then dialed in the correct elevation, and put him down permanently with a finisher.

Later in the fall I dialed it back to 100 yds, and checked zero with a single shot that cut the bullseye.

Will shortly have my first “dial” scope. In a hunting situation at what point do you dial? At 300 yards when it is a short hold over? This is based on elk. Appreciate any insights and experience.
Now in life doing only long range, with a military back ground I always dial for elevation when beyond 100 yards. Wind is always a hold for me i never dial wind. I have found this method to always hold true, elevation with a good shooting app is just math. Wind on the other hand is something you get better at the more you shoot.

drmikeyj

FNG
I sight it at 200, hold on up to 300, then dial after 300 for my 300wsm. My dad has killed more deer than anyone I know with a 30-06. 2” high at 100, never touches the scope. The old phrase, “it’s not the arrows, it’s the Indian” comes to mind.

16Bore

WKR
I sight it at 200, hold on up to 300, then dial after 300 for my 300wsm. My dad has killed more deer than anyone I know with a 30-06. 2” high at 100, never touches the scope. The old phrase, “it’s not the arrows, it’s the Indian” comes to mind.

Or “if it ain’t broke, don’t fix it”

flemdogg

Lil-Rokslider
Zero at 200. Between 200-300 I will dial if there is time. Which for my style of hunting, there is usually time to dial. If not, I will just hold a bit high depending on cartridge/bullet drop.

Pretty much anything above 300 I will dial.