Athlon Ares 15-45x65 vs Vortex Razor 11-33x50-has anyone compared these 2?

Ranger619

WKR
Has anyone compared the Athlon Ares 15-45x65 in either ED or UHD to the Vortex Razor 11-33x50? I have the Razor now and am thinking about going to a 65mm, just not sure if I want to drop the coin on a Swarovski. I basically only use the spotter to verify game. I glass with my binocular on a tripod so that is covered already. Weight is a concern since I do backpack quite a bit of the time. Thanks

IdahoHntr

WKR
I haven't compared the Ares 65 to the Razor 50, but I have compared the Ares to the Razor 65 and honestly there isn't much difference. Optically the Razor and Ares were on very equal grounds, but the Ares comes in a smaller package. With the Razor 65 being optically better than the Razor 50, I'd say you'd definitely be gaining some optical quality by going to the Ares 65. The Ares is about 20 ounces heavier than the Razor 50, but in actual size comparison it isn't a ton bigger.

I've had the Athlon Ares for a year or so now and really like it. Great scope for the money, especially for doing what you need it to do.

Ram94

WKR
I’ve also compared the 65 Ares to the 65 Razor and they’re optically identical. Size and weight goes to the Ares. Razor gets the win with more forgiving eye relief. Focus was a bit faster on the Ares for me. Warranties are the same.

e67d389f97dce54b6cab254d43c062e6.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Northpark

WKR
I have the 65 ares ED and really enjoy it. Looked at the razor and didn’t find it any better and the athlon seems to pack better. Was using to look at some elk at last light yesterday from about 2 miles with no complaints.

Everybody sells the Razor 50 in two days because the light gathering sucks. Nonstarter to me.

ZackP

WKR
I currently have the UHD and have owned the 50mm Razor and newer 65mm Viper. Ares hands down in every category.

Rob5589

WKR
I recently purchased the Athlon based on several good experiences here (mostly @idahohikker) and am pleased with it so far. The little Vortex never made sense to me. If you really want the Vortex, watch for a used one as the pop up quite a bit. Doug at Cameraland had great prices on the Athlon recently.

OP
R

Ranger619

WKR
Does anyone know if there is a difference in the glass between the Athlon ED and UHD glass?

ZackP

WKR
Figured I would share a handheld pic through the UHD with an IPhone X. I struggle trying to get the phone to focus through a scope and always have regardless of the scope. Pic of the sign is a hair under 600 yards. Can’t remember the magnification it was on. Shop in the background behind the sign is just over 1800 yards. FYI a phone does no justice for how nice the glass is at this price point. Blew my 65mm Viper, 50mm Razor, and my friends 65mm Gen 1 Razor out of the water 🤙🏻

Elk botherer

Lil-Rokslider
Everybody sells the Razor 50 in two days because the light gathering sucks. Nonstarter to me.
Definitely agree. The Razor 50 was great on low power but when you increase magnification when lighting gets lower the image gets dark fast, not to mention digiscoping sucks with the 50's rubber eyecup. It was a major upgrade to the Razor 65mm. Good luck.