Athlon Ares 65mm Full Review

bigbuckdj

WKR
I think I’m going to pick one of these up. Were you able to find a good deal or is $500 about what I should expect to pay?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
I
I think I’m going to pick one of these up. Were you able to find a good deal or is $500 about what I should expect to pay?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

$500 is a great deal for one of these. That’s a sale price.

sman

FNG
I have found the 65mm on Amazon for $500 as well, however this guy at Blue Line Optics has it for $527 with the coupon code. The 85mm is 7 and some change with the code which look like a pretty decent price for the bigger tube.

I just got one earlier this week, and so far I'm really liking it. Like idahohikker mentioned, the thing is super compact! That's one of the things that really intrigued me so that it didn't take up so much room in my pack, and it doesn't disappoint. The thing is also built like a tank and doesn't feel cheap anywhere - the eyecup is awesome, the lens caps are nice and the retainers on them are even nicer to have, and the focus and zoom wheels are silky smooth and very little resistance!

It may be worth mentioning however that although their specs list the weight at 43 ounces, its actually 47.

I haven't compared it side by side with anything yet, but I have no doubt it'll beat anything cheaper, and hang with a lot above it.

Last edited:
I picked up the 65mm and am really happy with it so far. The edge to edge clarity is good. My only slight complaints are that the focus rings can be little stiff and the eye relief could be a bit more.

This is from 1.3 miles away
4d36b822eda63a4b5f38c4924d9da49e.jpg

It's a great little spotter. Clear and bright. How often do you hear great "little" 65? As a casual hunter, very happy with the price/performance. And extremely happy with how lightweight and compact it is.

UPDATE - NOT GOOD
I was shooting archery in low light a few days after I got the Ares. Had a very cheap spotter I use for marking arrows side by side with it. Noticed I could not see the "MORELL" clearly across the top edge of the target with the Ares, but it was crystal clear on my other spotter sitting two feet to the side. Did a very careful look all around the edge of the Ares. It was blurred at the top and clear everywhere else. Sent it back. Strike one for quality control.

Received the replacement two days later (today). Got it focused in my back yard and saw a very obvious irregular vertical line right down the middle of the view. It was clearly an internal fracture. My guess is it was dropped during shipping and broke, but the box was not obviously dinged up. Strike two for toughness.

That did it for me, at least for now. Not willing to wait for strike three. Two bad scopes in two tries. The broken lens element concerns me more than the focal issue, as it indicates possibly (to my limited exposure) that these scopes aren't as tough as I would like.

So I personally would not recommend one to a friend at the moment, and I would need to see a lot more data to decide they will maintain clarity and are tough enough for hard hunting or field use. Just my experience, limited to a sample of 100% of two.

OP
I
UPDATE - NOT GOOD
I was shooting archery in low light a few days after I got the Ares. Had a very cheap spotter I use for marking arrows side by side with it. Noticed I could not see the "MORELL" clearly across the top edge of the target with the Ares, but it was crystal clear on my other spotter sitting two feet to the side. Did a very careful look all around the edge of the Ares. It was blurred at the top and clear everywhere else. Sent it back. Strike one for quality control.

Received the replacement two days later (today). Got it focused in my back yard and saw a very obvious irregular vertical line right down the middle of the view. It was clearly an internal fracture. My guess is it was dropped during shipping and broke, but the box was not obviously dinged up. Strike two for toughness.

That did it for me, at least for now. Not willing to wait for strike three. Two bad scopes in two tries. The broken lens element concerns me more than the focal issue, as it indicates possibly (to my limited exposure) that these scopes aren't as tough as I would like.

So I personally would not recommend one to a friend at the moment, and I would need to see a lot more data to decide they will maintain clarity and are tough enough for hard hunting or field use. Just my experience, limited to a sample of 100% of two.

It sucks you had that experience. The data is out there if you read the dozens of reviews and comments about the spotter on the web. People’s eyes can just be different and some guys are so picky they need alpha glass and even then they still complain. You probably just got a rare lemon. Sorry to hear it.

It sucks you had that experience. The data is out there if you read the dozens of reviews and comments about the spotter on the web. People’s eyes can just be different and some guys are so picky they need alpha glass and even then they still complain. You probably just got a rare lemon. Sorry to hear it.

Rare two lemons. My $76 Orion GrandView was clearer edge to edge on the first one. The second one was clear edge to edge and broken 100% across the middle. Like I said, I'm off these for now. I am seriously considering the Kowa 55.

Well, trying again. Too many happy customers who love these scopes. Can't get three bad ones, right? Should be here Monday and will report back after a little shakedown cruise.

OP
I
Well, trying again. Too many happy customers who love these scopes. Can't get three bad ones, right? Should be here Monday and will report back after a little shakedown cruise.

Get a buddy to look also. Maybe you have weird eyes. 😀 The Ares have a serious following.

Get a buddy to look also. Maybe you have weird eyes. 😀 The Ares have a serious following.

Hey, I'm not THAT blind! My first one was blurry on the top part of the view. Something was misaligned inside that made the top part out of focus. It was clear everywhere else. The second one arrive BROKEN, with a clear break in one of the elements showing jagged cracked glass from top to bottom (actually slightly angled) right in the middle of the view. You know when a lens breaks; you can see not only the crack but the depth of the crack the thickness of the element. I had an internal element broken in half, simple as that.

Just got a couple of duds. Based on the reviews, these were exceptions to the rule. We'll see. (y)

OP
I
Outside of this, I’ve talked to a bunch of guys since writing this review and everyone loves their Ares spotter.

So far scope number 3 is awesome. I might be the only customer in history to get two bad ones before getting a keeper. Love the incredible compactness and light weight. Brightness is excellent up to about 40x. 45x is noticeably less bright (as expected) but still good with excellent clarity.

pattimusprime22

Lil-Rokslider
I just picked one up per this review and am very satisfied. Surprisingly smaller than I expected. As Mike Islander said it is noticeably less bright at 45x however it is still clear and quite good for the money. Looking forward to putting it to use on my next trip!

OP
I
So far scope number 3 is awesome. I might be the only customer in history to get two bad ones before getting a keeper. Love the incredible compactness and light weight. Brightness is excellent up to about 40x. 45x is noticeably less bright (as expected) but still good with excellent clarity.

I’m really glad you now have the chance to see what we’re seeing. Great glass, eh.

It’s really incredible odds that you got one, let alone two, duds. I’ve read about every review out there on Ares and the quality control is good enough that I’ve seen basically zero issues posted by others.

OP
I
I love the love-fest guys are having with the Ares. I just keep enjoying mine more and more all the time and appreciate the clear glass.

Just how small and light it is continues to amaze me. I always think in my mind that it’s a 50mm then I remember it’s a 65mm and I’m like YES.

I’m really glad you now have the chance to see what we’re seeing. Great glass, eh.

It’s really incredible odds that you got one, let alone two, duds. I’ve read about every review out there on Ares and the quality control is good enough that I’ve seen basically zero issues posted by others.

Yes, I was really shocked after reading all the reviews, both here and elsewhere. I was really surprised to get one with a broken element. But good for now, and with the warrantee I am very happy.