Athlon Ares 65mm Full Review

IdahoHntr

WKR
I bought the Ares based on all the reviews on Rokslide but don't really like it. I think it's just me not liking the idea of a spotting scope though (looking through one eye only). What really turned me off was I found what looked like a deer through my 10x Vipers and pulled out my 45x Athlon to get a better look. Problem was I couldn't tell any better from the spotter if it was a deer vs dark spot/sticks than from my binos. Might be for sale if anyone is interested but I still haven't decided if it's worth taking with me on another hunt to give it a second chance.

If you aren't used to spotting scopes they can take a little getting used to. A solid tripod is a must and sometimes you can actually see a little better in the mid-magnification ranges of the scope like 25-35 mag instead of having it cranked all the way up to 45. Especially in mid-priced optics, the highest magnification tends to not be the sharpest images the scope can produce. The Ares actually does really well in this regard compared to other mid-prices scopes, but 45 mag is still not quite as clear as the lower magnifcations.

Maybe you got a defective one or something as well, cause there is no way looking through the Ares that you shouldn't be able to better tell what you are looking at than your 10x vipers. Higher magnification and better glass on the Ares. I have yet to have a questionable spot with my binos that I couldn't confirm exactly what it was with the spotting scope.

rob86jeep

WKR
If you aren't used to spotting scopes they can take a little getting used to. A solid tripod is a must and sometimes you can actually see a little better in the mid-magnification ranges of the scope like 25-35 mag instead of having it cranked all the way up to 45. Especially in mid-priced optics, the highest magnification tends to not be the sharpest images the scope can produce. The Ares actually does really well in this regard compared to other mid-prices scopes, but 45 mag is still not quite as clear as the lower magnifcations.

Maybe you got a defective one or something as well, cause there is no way looking through the Ares that you shouldn't be able to better tell what you are looking at than your 10x vipers. Higher magnification and better glass on the Ares. I have yet to have a questionable spot with my binos that I couldn't confirm exactly what it was with the spotting scope.
Part of the problem could have been my really lite weight tripod and it being a windy day. I'll take it out with me a few more times before I decide to get rid of it. I do plan on upgrading my tripod before next season as well.

TravisIN

WKR
Got mine in today. Here’s my initial impressions. Keep in mind I’m in the Midwest, 99 percent of the time I’ll be using it to look at deer from the truck. I will also use it for high country mulies each year which is why I wanted the smaller 65. On the mulies I will primarily be using SLCs off a tripod for whatever that’s worth. This is also the most expensive spotting scope I have ever Owned. I have spent a decent amount time with my buddies 65 swaro, and the couple cheap ones I’ve owned over the years. So I’m extremely low on the totem pole as far as spotting scope experience and expertise. This is strictly my own personal thoughts on this scope.

Out of the package it feels very solid. Heavier than I expected based off the size. Which to me seems like a good thing as it feels durable, time will tell. The first thing I did was twist the focus ring bc was worried about it being overly stiff. I haven’t used my buddies swaro 65 since September so I can’t do side by side but from what I remember of his focus ring this one is just as smooth. Point is it’s definitely smooth enough for my needs. I messed with the rotation collar next. It was the little confirmation click points at different angles which I like bc I’m kind of ocd and want it to be perfectly straight up and down. I knew it had these but wasn’t sure how substantial they would be and if positioning between the indentions would be an issue. They are very subtle and and it’s no issue going between the clicks. That was something important to me since most of the time I’ll be using in a truck and will have it at 9 o clock Instead of 12. So next I mounted it to my tripod and went outside. I immediately twisted the eye cup all the way out bc pretty much every piece of glass I’ve owned that’s the position I’ve used them in. I noticed that the eye cup didn’t have designated postions that you have to stop at or it will keep rotating.(most glass I’ve had has that feature.) i didn’t think much about at first. It’s a very fine rotation, meaning you have to twist it a lot to move it a little and is Very smooth. I put my eye to it and I was way to far away. This is when I liked the fine rotation and not having designated postions. I was able to finely tune it to where was perfect for me and it stays there. I’m sure that it’ll get moved but that’s to be expected and a non issue. So looking through glass. Haha it’s not a swaro. But I didn’t expect it to be anywhere close. I was very pleased with the quality. It’s midday so it’s pretty bright. I’m gonna try and get it out for an evening drive tonight. But the moon is so dang bright right now that I may get a false impression on its light gathering abilities. So I will touch back on this later. Also something I didn’t know and just have glassed over (pun intended) was the fact that it came with a carrying case. It fits pretty snug so it not overly bulky. I’ve been looking for some sort of protective cover for it and hadn’t turned up anything so this was an unexpected bonus. You can use it with it on if you want but I just want it for leaving in my truck or for packing in on a mule deer hunt. I’m very hard on gear and stuff like that I can use to protect things is needed.

So overall very good first impression. I believe it will meet my needs nicely. Take it for what it’s worth.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

TravisIN

WKR
7e2d3b29b3b711ace6120a5fd153fffb.jpg

Sunset at 527 pic through spotter at 555 at at probably 30 power. Very satisfied with the performance this evening. I’m hand holding phone since I don’t have my phone skope adapter in yet. Right at 200 yards away btw.

For the record I bought this off eBay for 382 bucks. So for that price I’m even happier.

Last edited:
OP
I
7e2d3b29b3b711ace6120a5fd153fffb.jpg

Sunset at 527 pic through spotter at 555 at at probably 30 power. Very satisfied with the performance this evening. I’m hand holding phone since I don’t have my phone skope adapter in yet.

For the record I bought this off eBay for 382 bucks. So for that price I’m even happier.

Nice picture. The low light performance is great on the Ares, I think.

TravisIN

WKR
I was really surprised. Granted 90 percent of the time I’m using 10x42 viper binos. But I was really happy with what I saw.

LK2HNT

Lil-Rokslider
I was really surprised. Granted 90 percent of the time I’m using 10x42 viper binos. But I was really happy with what I saw.

Thank you for the report. I ordered mine and it should be here next week. Like you this is my first decent spotter, ive been rocking 10x42 Viper Binos and a Shit*y Tasco $100 spotter so $500 for a spotter to me is big dollar lol.

HookUp

WKR
I had one until it dropped off my pacl. Its a perfectly functional spotter, I found and killed a bull about 2 miles away with mine.

Well I’m pretty impressed, I haven’t had a chance to take it anywhere yet but I did take a pretty good look through my neighbors backyard (2.31 miles away according to onX) I’m pretty sure if there were any deer shaped objects to find I’d have found them.

Hopefully I’ll be able to get out and put it to use in the woods sooner than later.

Got out yesterday afternoon and found some fur with my new spotter. At roughly 2.6 miles I found 2 deer feeding on a hillside. It was a quick trip just a speed hike to the end of a trail that offered me a long view with some nature to look over. I didn’t spend much time picking the area apart after finding these two, just packed up and burned it outa there. I’m very happy with the spotter and learned 2 things 1 I need to either bring a blanket or puffy pants for cold sits and 2 I’m in worse shape than I expected. But my phone told me I did the equivalent of 98 floors in under 5 miles so that might explain the knee pain.5C825C6E-4708-4C71-BC69-13E00E48CE0C.jpegBBE92244-BB98-4A97-9E2A-09BF6A188461.jpeg25621020-A825-4E82-9821-56025DBA0DDD.jpegA62A04C5-1486-4674-9B3D-B17F40A1FB27.jpeg

KDtrey5

FNG
Are you still happy with the ares? I am planning on buying my first spotting scope but i dont plan to pack it on all my hunts. Since it will not be going with me everytime I am not looking to spend as much as I did on my leica or meopta scopes. Will I be disappointed looking through this compared to my scopes?

LK2HNT

Lil-Rokslider
Are you still happy with the ares? I am planning on buying my first spotting scope but i dont plan to pack it on all my hunts. Since it will not be going with me everytime I am not looking to spend as much as I did on my leica or meopta scopes. Will I be disappointed looking through this compared to my scopes?

Im pretty happy so far but then again I have never used Leica or Swaro or Zeiss so perhaps I dont know what I am missing lol

Matt G.

WKR
Better off not knowing unless you want to go down the rabbit hole. It gets really expensive...

Sent from my SM-G981U using Tapatalk

Rock-o

WKR
Thanks for the write-up.

Camera Land received an order for this model from me today.

Last edited:

Trees91

WKR
Yeah that's the one I'm wondering about. I would guess it's as good or better beings how it's the new model of the 15-45x65

TravisIN

WKR
Bringing up an old thread. I just ordered a swaro ats 65 and will have it set up next to my Athlon in the next couple weeks. Now I know they aren’t the same class but I am going to try and do some testing to compare the two just to see how big of difference there is. It’s been a really popular optic on here and am just curious how it compares to a high end glass. You all still happy with yours?