Athlon Ares 8x42 vs Cronus 8.5x42

Shadowcaster

Lil-Rokslider
Hey, I'm looking at these two binos and wondering if anyone has used both? Or if you have one or the other and how you like them, if you wish you had upgraded or if the upgrade etc wasnt worth it? Thanks guys!

Xlr8n

Lil-Rokslider
-Haven't looked at either but by-and-large most retail brand bino's under $500 tend to underperform. For your pricepoint Maven C1 8x42's for $325 are a good buy.

-Or hang onto your money until black friday when Tract has reduced prices on their glass Usually under $500 for the 8x's and they punch with the big boys.

-Another option is used Alpha-ish glass. There's a set of 8x42 Meostars on another forum for $450.

OP
S

Shadowcaster

Lil-Rokslider
Id
-Haven't looked at either but by-and-large most retail brand bino's under $500 tend to underperform. For your pricepoint Maven C1 8x42's for $325 are a good buy.

-Or hang onto your money until black friday when Tract has reduced prices on their glass Usually under $500 for the 8x's and they punch with the big boys.

-Another option is used Alpha-ish glass. There's a set of 8x42 Meostars on another forum for $450.
I'd agree with you for the most part, but I've bought two Athlon optics in the past year and a half, a rifle and a spotting scope. Scope was on sale via Doug and it's on par with optics I've used at twice the price point. The spotting scope was only around 150 on sale, and its solidly okay. Biggest problem I've seen is it really picks up the heatwaves (forget the term) when you're looking over a hot surface.

I didnt think about looking in the classifieds though, thanks for that reminder!