Athlon Ares BTR 2.5-15x50 Riflescope Review, By Tim Hanses

Justin Crossley

Administrator
Staff member
Hey Roksliders! Meet Tim Hanses (Tdhanses). Formerly Dotman in the forums.

Tim enjoys all forms of hunting from archery, muzzleloader, to rifle hunting. While he currently resides in the Midwest he grew up in the West where his father helped hone his passion for big game hunting. He enjoys putting gear though it's paces and finding great items that the average hunter can utilize and rely on in the field. Tim spends his free time with his two children, always furthering his edication and planning for future hunting trips. He also believes in doing what he can for conservation, including volunteering his time, he was the Chairman for the Greater Kansas City RMEF Chapter from 2011-2016 and continues to help the local chapter any way he can. Tim is a life member of the BHA, NRA, and annual sponsor member of the RMEF.

Give Tim a warm welcome and enjoy his first Rokslide review of the Athlon Ares BTR riflescope available from Camera Land NY.

Check it out!

Athlon Ares BTR 2.5-15x50 Riflescope Review

Last edited:

tdhanses

WKR
Thanks Justin, who would have thought putting word into an article would be so different then just stating ones mind in a thread. Hope everyone enjoys the article and ask away with any questions.

Thanks Justin, who would have thought putting word into an article would be so different then just stating ones mind in a thread. Hope everyone enjoys the article and ask away with any questions.

Nice review.

May I ask what rings you used for the scope?

wildcat33

WKR
I put one on a Tikka T1 as fun and cheap way to transition from the "old school" duplex reticle/MOA/SFP system to MIL/FFP. I think its a good way to get into more technical long range shooting without throwing down 1-2k.

wildcat33

WKR

FYI Tim, the erector in the Ares is brass not stainless. That info coming straight from Athlon.

tdhanses

WKR
FYI Tim, the erector in the Ares is brass not stainless. That info coming straight from Athlon.

Actually it is stainless, they told me that while I visited their HQ. The first release of this model with the flat top was brass but they updated it to stainless last year and all the ones shipping out currently with the updated Cronus style turret are stainless.

So you are correct that this started out with brass, so when ordering make sure you get one with the updated turret so that you get the better erector.

My guess is the first production didn’t have as firm and durable an erector and with the PRS guys really going after this model they made a mid production change. I don’t think the original brass would create an issue for a hunting rifle but I prefer the stainless over the brass.

Last edited:

wildcat33

WKR
Actually it is stainless, they told me that while I visited their HQ. The first release of this model with the flat top was brass but they updated it to stainless last year and all the ones shipping out currently with the updated Cronus style turret are stainless.

So you are correct that this started out with brass, so when ordering make sure you get one with the updated turret so that you get the better erector.

Not doubting you BUT, I just got off the phone with them and they are not saying the same thing.

tdhanses

WKR
Not doubting you BUT, I just got off the phone with them and they are not saying the same thing.

Hmm interesting as that wasn’t what their product design guys said. I’ll give them a call. Who did you talk to? Was it Dustin, Jeff or Trent?

tdhanses

WKR
Spoke with Jeff and David.

That’s crazy as they are the ones that told me, well Jeff is supposed to call me back. But I would say you are correct then since they are same people that told me in person. It doesn’t take away from my overall opinion of the scope but makes we what to do more long term testing of it for reliability.

tdhanses

WKR

I’m still waiting on clarification but I talked to someone else and their understanding is the same as yours, but they are also going to get clarification.

JGood

Lil-Rokslider
Any update on the brass or stainless clarification. Btw, Tim, great review. This came right at the perfect time as I was looking at the Vortex Razor and Viper until I saw this. Thank you

tdhanses

WKR
Any update on the brass or stainless clarification. Btw, Tim, great review. This came right at the perfect time as I was looking at the Vortex Razor and Viper until I saw this. Thank you

Yup it was a miscommunication, brass on the Ares BTR and Stainless on the Midas Tac.

I wouldn’t let the brass bug you as I’ve dialed this scope a ton and now have it on my 22 and it dials anywhere from its zero to 48moa weekly without missing a beat.

Viper isn’t even close, had it on my 22 and it just sucked. Never tried the Razor.

Thanks!

tdhanses

WKR
Do you mean once you have dialed? No they do not lock. The windage has no lock and the elevation has a zero stop but no lock. I’ve never had one that locked the turrets so that must be an option on the most expensive models?

nortac

FNG
I have a question. I got rid of my 4.5-27x50 Ares BTR because any magnification past 15x the eye box got so tight that it was very annoying. I am considering the 2.5-15x50 but not if I can't get on the reticle at 10-15X. How is the eye box on the 2.5-15x50? Does it experience the same issue as the 4.5-27x50?

tdhanses

WKR
I haven’t used the 4.5-27 but the eyebox on the 2-15 to me is super forgiving. Hasn’t been an issue. I just bought a 6-24 Midas TAC and it has a really forgiving eyebox. The 2-15 was better then the Sig, Vortex and Swaro imo.

Haven’t had any time with the Midas TAC, I just got it today, mounted it and it is ready to hit the range. Supposedly it has the same optics as the Ares BTR. No illumination, a capped windage turret and is an oz lighter.

I was going to go with the 4.5-27 but Cameraland didn’t have any in Moa and Doug said the Midas TAC is right there minus a few features. The Midas Tac also has the stainless turret vs brass on the Ares BTR after final clarification from Athlon.

Oh on the zero stop, when sighting in or adjusting your zero I highly recommend taking it off until you are ready to set it at your zero, I lost a set screw last week adjusting my zero for a new load on my 22.

The Ares BTR moved to my 22 and is getting a ton of turret work each week, so far it hasn’t missed a beat, the Tac is now on my 270wsm.

Last edited: