Athlon Ares BTR 2.5-15x50 Riflescope Review, By Tim Hanses

nortac

FNG
Thanks for the information. I would like to hear from others regarding the eye box at higher magnification in the midas tac and the ares. I just can't spend the money on another one without knowing more about the eye box. I will not own another 4.5-27x50 ares btr because of it. It was very frustrating. Other than that I liked the scope but it is what made me sell it.

tdhanses

WKR
Yeah I completely understand that, maybe start a thread in the optics section asking for other owners opinions on this. I bet you get more responses that way.

cs68

FNG
Any comparison to the viper pst gen 2? I've heard it has improved glass, compared to the gen 1, or the hst, curious how the Ares stacks up.

tdhanses

WKR
Sorry I haven’t looked through the Gen 2 but I doubt it is better, maybe equal.

tdhanses

WKR
I’ve had zero problems dialing or returning to zero. I moved it to my 22 and have been shooting out to 300 yards with it so it’s dialed a bunch between it’s zero at 50 and out to 300. I probably have close to 4K rounds under this, most being from my 22 but it gets dialed a lot.

I liked it so much I picked up a Midas Tac and put that on my 270wsm that was in the review, I recommend the Midas Tac if you don’t need illumination or to dial windage, same optics as the Ares BTR but a tad cheaper with fewer bells and whistles.

OG DramaLlama

Epic Rokslider
I’ve had zero problems dialing or returning to zero. I moved it to my 22 and have been shooting out to 300 yards with it so it’s dialed a bunch between it’s zero at 50 and out to 300. I probably have close to 4K rounds under this, most being from my 22 but it gets dialed a lot.

I liked it so much I picked up a Midas Tac and put that on my 270wsm that was in the review, I recommend the Midas Tac if you don’t need illumination or to dial windage, same optics as the Ares BTR but a tad cheaper with fewer bells and whistles.

Excellent feedback. Looking to put this on my new 22 build!

The Ares ETR 4.5-30x56 looks like what I will go after. Gives me the internal elevation/windage (110 MOA) adjustments that I will probably never use, but like to tell people about.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

colonel00

WKR

Hmm, shooting a .22 out to 300yds eh? I'll have to report you to the range :)

Just FYI guys, Cameraland has the 2.5-15 x50 mil reticle on sale 50% off right now. Doug took care of me as always. (I got the new turret model as well)

Lou400a

Lil-Rokslider
Any comparison to the viper pst gen 2? I've heard it has improved glass, compared to the gen 1, or the hst, curious how the Ares stacks up.

I was looking at this scope or it's bigger brother as I have two Atholon Cronus scopes which are made in Japan (and are great scopes for their price range), but I couldn't bring myself to buy Chinese optic even at this price. I was looking for cheaper (under $1k) as you can pick up a used Cronus for around $1,200 and I've decided to go with PST II 5-25 that was on sale for $700 at Europtic.
They been around for a while with good reviews so I've mounted it on a 10/22. So far its been a great scope and been happy with it. The eye box is kind of tight above 20x, but that's kind of norm with optic in this price range.

tdhanses

WKR
I was looking at this scope or it's bigger brother as I have two Atholon Cronus scopes which are made in Japan (and are great scopes for their price range), but I couldn't bring myself to buy Chinese optic even at this price. I was looking for cheaper (under $1k) as you can pick up a used Cronus for around $1,200 and I've decided to go with PST II 5-25 that was on sale for $700 at Europtic.
They been around for a while with good reviews so I've mounted it on a 10/22. So far its been a great scope and been happy with it. The eye box is kind of tight above 20x, but that's kind of norm with optic in this price range.

Isn’t the PST II made in China?

What rings/bases (brand, height) are you using in the test, looks like a nice set up. I just purchased this scope from Cameraland based on your review. Thanks for a thorough evaluation!

tdhanses

WKR
What rings/bases (brand, height) are you using in the test, looks like a nice set up. I just purchased this scope from Cameraland based on your review. Thanks for a thorough evaluation!

Hey no problem, the rings are Hawkins Precision mediums I believe, might be lows.

I just picked up the Gen 2 in the 4.5-27, it's supposed to be delivered in a few days I'm excited to see if the turrets track as well as they say.

Sent from my LM-V405 using Tapatalk