Athlon ares spotter

CaseyD

FNG
Hi all, I’ve read on lots of different sites, and after reading multiples from here I finally decided to take the plunge! Here’s a question for ya, I am a vortex fan, but keep hearing about Athlon. I am looking at buying a new spotter for an upcoming ID OTC elk hunt and am looking for something compact, decent glass, and like the 15-45x65 size for what I do.

I have not seen a review on the Athlon spotters, only rifle scopes so I apologize if I missed a thread in my search. Anyone have any experience with these? I was looking at the Viper HD to add to my viper collection when I learned about Athlon, so mow I’m in holding pattern. TIA, and again if a thread has already been started please pass along the link and I’d be glad to read up on it there.

interested to see what Doug from Cameraland has to say here. He really pushes the Athlon Binos over the Vortex stuff. I can't see why this would be any different.

gr8fuldoug

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
:)

I'll let this Athlon Ares Spotter Review posted on another forum shed some light on the subject. For the $$$ IMO the Athlon Ares spotters are an excellent choice not only for their quality optics but also the quality control that goes into Athlon products in general. They have the same no fault warranty as Vortex, however, it's hardly needed due to their high level of QC

I have a Viper spotter. I would go Athlon now. I've researched the two pretty extensively and read about five Area reviews. Athlon probably has slightly better glass and much better packability.

Feel free to PM about Idaho elk if you want. I always enjoy chatting about it and research and scout way too much.

OP
C

CaseyD

FNG
Thanks for the feedback. I actually had watched that YouTube video previously. I had just gotten another set of vortex viper 15x50s that were upgraded from fury 12.5x42s after they cracked. My buddy emailed Athlon and asked if they would do the same and here was the reply.... “It's hard to say since Athlons don’t break like a Vortex... But if something were to happen to your Athlon spotting scope, we would repair or replace the unit at no cost to you. If that unit was discontinued or of stock, someone form our warranty department would contact you and figure out what would work as a replacement upgrade. You'd probably also get a free hat.” So I guess they are still on the running. 😂

OP
C

CaseyD

FNG
I have a Viper spotter. I would go Athlon now. I've researched the two pretty extensively and read about five Area reviews. Athlon probably has slightly better glass and much better packability.

Feel free to PM about Idaho elk if you want. I always enjoy chatting about it and research and scout way too much.
Thank you, I will do that. We have several areas of interest and are putting in for a couple of controlled hunts. Once I can PM I will send one your way!

thinhorn_AK

"DADDY"
My opinion, Vortex is no longer a company I really trust, they have the greatest warranty that you will probably have to use. They used to be good then just got too big, There so much used vortex stuff and so many horror stories I just couldnt go all in with them.

Athlon, seems a lot like the early vortex to me, gaining a following, good bang for the buck. We'll see though.

I'd rather save some $$$ and get something I know I wont have to worry about.

eoperator

WKR
Athlon vs Vortex? Vortex is dead to me after owning a few Athlon products . Vortex razor is a better comparison to ares 65mm than viper

netman

WKR
My Athlon Cronus arrived today. I spent about thirty minutes looking at my nearest and only neighbors home which is 700 yards away. Thank goodness there are no exposed windows. He is a asshole. This spotting scope is badass!

OP
C

CaseyD

FNG
My Athlon Cronus arrived today. I spent about thirty minutes looking at my nearest and only neighbors home which is 700 yards away. Thank goodness there are no exposed windows. He is a asshole. This spotting scope is badass!
Lol! That’s awesome! I was checking those out. Did you get the 50s or 65s?

OP
C

CaseyD

FNG
All, sorry to reopen the old post but thought I’d do a quick follow up. I finally found a way to hide the purchase of this spotter from my wife..... for like a day.... and it came in a few weeks ago and just in time for my Idaho hunt coming up. Thoroughly impressed! I’m counting the arms of a saguaro from over 2 miles away, also took them out to the field and helped a buddy on a 6A archery bull hunt last week. I noticed crystal clear and sharp images. Color is vibrant even at dusk. I would recommend this to anyone that is worried about breaking the bank or budget minded.

Hope this helps someone in the future!

I know your comment is old but I am in the same boat. Looking at a new spotter for prairie mule deer in Southern Alberta. I was looking at the viper HD and after reading a bunch of comparison threads am really leaning towards the Ares. If you got time I'd love to pick your brain about the 2.