Athlon Argos HMR 2-12x42

Anyone have any experience with this scope, or athalon scopes in general? Would love to know how the quality stacks up for the price point.

Trapperkid

Lil-Rokslider
Two people in my family have started using them and they like them but they are coming from tasco scope so there’s that

Not that particular one, but I have a friend that as an Argos. I was surprised how well his did in both a box and ladder test. I felt the glass was about what you'd expect in that price range. My buddy felt the glass was better than I did. I have also shot behind a Athlon Midas TAC and really liked it from the little shooting I did with it. I would have no problem buying a Athlon scope.

Jcalloway

FNG
I haven’t owned a Argos yet. I’ve owned the Talos, Midas BTR, and Athlon Ares BTR. I hated the Talos and won’t own another, but the glass is great on the other two.

Lawnboi

WKR
Bumping this back up. Anybody have one of these?
I wanted one briefly for my 17 but can’t bring myself to spend any more money on an athlon China scope.

The Midas tac I have is the third one, that worked for a while. Don’t have a lot of faith in it.

Motown

WKR
I wanted one briefly for my 17 but can’t bring myself to spend any more money on an athlon China scope.

The Midas tac I have is the third one, that worked for a while. Don’t have a lot of faith in it.
My next question was gonna be where are they made. I wasn’t sure if this was possibly a Philippines scope or not, but if its China then I am gonna steer clear of it as well.

Lawnboi

WKR
My next question was gonna be where are they made. I wasn’t sure if this was possibly a Philippines scope or not, but if its China then I am gonna steer clear of it as well.
Midas tac is China. I believe the Cronus is made in Japan but can’t confirm. Either way I wouldn’t buy another. My first scope that came the eye piece fell off when I shot

Motown

WKR

But I hear they have a great warranty!😂

260madman

WKR
Cronus is Japanese. I bought a Helos 2-12 to try and it’s not bad. I need some crappy light conditions to compare glass and reticle sizes with other scopes I own.

So far the Helos 2-12 seems to be holding up well otherwise everyone on the web would be screaming about it. They had glowing reviews when they first became available. The Argos has the same glass as the Helos. I ordered an Argos in October and SWFA never shipped it to me so i ended up canceling the order. If they would have shipped it I could give you a yay or nay on the Argos.

OP
Kbhillhunter
I ended up buying one of these and then returning it. The glass was nice but only ok at full power. It seemed to be well constructed. The one thing I didn't like is that the BDC was valid at 10x not 12x.

obawon

FNG
I have had one for a couple years. It's compact but heavy for it's size. Held up to magnum recoil just fine. To my eyes, the glass was bright with decent clarity (pretty good for the price but not remarkable). It is definitely a very versatile scope that can work well for just about any typical hunting rifle.
I like the reticle and illumination. I don't care too much about factory calibration for drop reticles as you pretty much need to check all your loafs and setup and then plug it into strelock (or another ballistics app) to know where the reticle holds will actually be for your rifle setup and loads.

Overall, I would consider it a solid choice in it's price range if you want a sturdy, compact, versatile scope that can work equally well hunting in a range of environments from thick timber to open country.