Athlon or Burris for my 308

Loebs

Lil-Rokslider
First a bit of background to help. I live in Florida but also hunt Wyoming each year. I have a Model 70 that I have slowly built up over the last few years to fit my style of hunting. I am a one rifle hunter and going to keep it that way for the foreseeable future, using extra funds for rifles for my daughters. I currently have a Sightron SI 3-9x40 with a HHR reticle. This has served me well and I have been able to shoot sub MOA out to 300 yards consistently with this setup. However when trying a new load for this year, my click adjustments would vary wildly from what they should be. Once dialed in I shot my best ever 5/8" group at 100 yards with factory ammo.
I know a HHR style/ drop reticle is not my best option, however knowing my bullet data and chrono speeds has let me come up with my own yardage for each hash mark. As I have gotten older my eyesight has gotten worse and I would like to get a bit more light to my eyes, hence a new optic that will be a bit more versatile in FL and in WY. I would like the ability to dial but also have either hash marks or MOA in the reticle so I can shoot known distances after verifying data. I personally do not wish to take a shot at an animal over 400 yards, (kind of a self imposed limit). But I would like to be able to shoot steel in excess of that distance for both practice and fun in the off season. I want to stay in the magnification range of around 3-15 and possibly a 50mm objective. The two scopes I'm looking at are the Burris Veracity 3-15x50 or the XTR II 3-15x50 versus the Athlon Ares BTR Gen II 3-15x50. All of these scopes fall into my price range with First Responder pricing. They are a bit heavier than I would usually consider, but I am willing to trade that for a more robust repeatable optic.
Here is the gun as it currently sits.20170530_144335.jpg

Apollo117

WKR
I hear good things about Burris and Athlon but if I were buying a scope at that price and magnification I would buy the SWFA 3x15 with MIL adjustments or a used Burris LRHS. Search the forum and you'll find lots of support for SWFA scopes. If you like Burris, skip the Veracity and get a used LRHS. You'll find a lot of support for the LRHS on the forum.

P.S. I have the Burris Veracity 3x9. It's a great scope, but I don't dial with it. I haven't adjusted it after the initial zero. I'm not sure I would trust it to dial reliably compared to an SWFA or LRHS.

wildcat33

WKR
That XTR II is a massive scope. Wouldn't be my first choice for an all-rounder. Seem to recall there is a lot of positive chatter on that one over at Snipers Hide. No personal experience with Burris, but I would be tempted to try.

I have two LRTS 3-12s and they are fantastic scopes, but at 28 oz also too heavy IMO for a general purpose hunting gun. FFP reticle is not my fav for hunting, but that's just a personal preference.

I've had the Athlon you speak of. Despite the marketing and influencer reviews, I find the Athlon stuff to be just generic chinese optics, the same as every other brand in that category. Absolutely nothing special. Value tanks in a year. I went through three before I finally unloaded a new replacement.

The SWFA will come up again and again. At 20oz the 3-9 is nearly the only choice in that category and would be my reco if you want to dial.

I have a 4-20x50 Burris XTR II on a 6.5 CM and it is is a good scope. I would buy another one. I don't have any experience with Athalon.

Another good scope in that price range is a Weaver Tactical 3-15 or 4-20. They are made in Japan. You are limited to an enhanced mil-dot with mil/mil turret clicks. But on low magnification the outer cross hairs are heavy enough I can hunt with it in lower light. I have a 4-20 and the glass is brighter than my XTR II. Very good Japanese glass for the money.

At a long range match a couple years ago, a guy on our squad had the elevation turret (entire turret with guts) fall completely off his XTR 2. Talking with him at the next match, he sent it back and Burris "fixed it", first time out it happened again. This has steered me away from Burris.

The athlon is a solid scope. Have a buddy that runs the ares on his match rifle and really likes it for the $s. The viper PST gen 2 3-15 is also a solid scope in that range. I would skip the SWFA 3-15. I have one and its a solid scope that tracks well, but has sub par low light performance compared to most all the other glass in my stable.

elkguide

WKR
What a great country we live in that we can all have so many different opportunities and thus experiences.

From my experience of those two choices, I'm in the Burris camp all the way. Athlon is Vortex with better quality control but still is hit or miss, lesser quality Chinese glass.

OP
Loebs

Loebs

Lil-Rokslider
Thank you guys very much, this is exactly the type of insight and info that I need. I have thought about the LRHS, but most of the ones I find for sale are Mil not MOA, I know not a huge deal I just need to learn a new system. I did look through a PST Gen II and I liked it, not thrilled with the turret stop though and it's pushing the upper end of weight. Same with the XTR, almost 30 ounces... I will say I am a bit partial for an illuminated reticle but not a deal breaker. It gets pretty dark early in some of the swampy areas that I hunt in FL, plus it helps my eyes pick it up a bit easier. I have had a chance to handle a Nightforce NXS and I really like it, I would just have to save a bit longer and would be able to stay MOA and either 2.5-10 or 3-15.

2ski

WKR
Someone had a burris xtr 2 for sale posted here either today or yesterday for around 6 hundo.

I just bought a 5-25 burris and am (im)patiently waiting for an ECW base and nightforce rings to get here so I can mount it on a bergara. 308. So no experience yet.

Goatie

Lil-Rokslider
I have accumulated higher end bushnell scopes (SMRS, DMR2, XRS), a Burris veracity 3-15, and have owned many vortex pst’s/hs-t/etc.

I distinctly remember a morning MN rifle whitetail hunt that was 5 seconds into being legal shooting light and I could see a broadside buck and a doe in my binos/rangefinder at 178yards. I pulled up the veracity and could not find the deer in the scope (Regardless of magnification). Keep in mind I love the scope and shoot it weekly, but I’ll never have it on a big game rifle again. It literally cost me a deer that day.

I have no experience with the other scope mentioned. I do know that my dad was watching them at 300 yards from another angle with a cheaper Zeiss 3-9 scope, could see them and also had a shot.

I love a first focal plane scope and around that price point I’d rather spend $900 on my other bushnell scopes when they go on sale. Way better features and optical quality/clarity/light gathering abilities/field of view... you get the idea.

In fact right now midway has a few bushnells on sale sub $1k and a hundred dollar gift card.

Last edited:
OP
Loebs

Loebs

Lil-Rokslider
That is a good price on the XTR II! I'm just a bit hesitant to put that heavy of a scope on my rifle. I know that the Razor HD LHT has been out for a while and seems to be liked on here so far, that would shed some weight and et me in the magnification range I'm looking for. I just want to see how they hold up through this season and actually put my hands on one. Lots of options out there and I appreciate everyone's thoughts and help!