Atko vs Copper Spur 1

Ok looking at Hilleberg Atko and the B.A. Copper Spur 1. To start with I know there is a difference in price. Looks like there is more room in the B.A. And it's a little lighter. I was hoping some of you have been in both and can give a good comparison. Is the B.A. as durable as the Atko, mostly wondering about the floor. Any info on either is appreciated.

shaun

WKR
I love my copper spur but it is only a 3 season unlike the akto witch is a 4 season you really can't go wrong with either depending on what you use it for

Beastmode

WKR
Will the copper spur hold up if there is 6 inches that drop?

The copper spur has two top vents in the rain fly right?

If you are planning to be in snow often the copper spur probably wouldn't be the right tent out of the 2. It is more a 3 season tent that will be fine if you get some snow once a year or so. I wouldn't use it for much more than that. Will it hold up to 6 inches of snow?..... haven't had it in 6 inches but have had it in 2-3. I would say yes but I wouldn't make a habit of it.

As said above it depends what your use is. The atko is bombproof but heavier. About a pound heavier. Which isn't much if you want an all around great tent. I have a copper spur and love it for what I use it for. IMO it is one of the best built 3 season tents out there.

OP
fire arrow
Ahh. Decisions, decisions. Have my REI dividends and a 20% off cupon. REI has B.A., and I really don't like hunting in deep snow that much. Seems like B.A. might be getting some of my money, but the Atko is a one stop shop.

Jdog

WKR
I have an Atko and a Copper Spur 2.

Hilleberg tents are bombproof. I have had my Nallo GT3 in 60-80 mph winds last year in AK and it never budged. I would trust my life in it in bad weather.

Specifically for the Atko...in snow over 5 or so inches, it accumulates on the end and may slightly lean in...pending on the density/weight of the snow.

I had my Atko on a backpack Nov deer hunt in CO in 2010 and we took around 5-6" of snow one night. The ends would sag in and lean in on my head.

Granted I am 6'8" and take up the entire length of this tent.

The Copper Spur is a 3 season tent as you know...I like mine cuz it gives me a bit more room in the tent and I can sit up in it...unlike the Atko--consider my height here as the avg guy may be able to sit up in the Atko...but not comfortably.

Each tent has its place...4 season tents are best in super cold temps and potential snows. My Copper Spur gets the nod during archery season. Also consider your sleeping bag...a 4 season tent has the ability to be much warmer as you can close em' up. I use a Western Mountaineering Badger with a bit of overfill...its super warm and I have never been cold in it. So that can come into play as well. I have also used the Copper Spur during Oct rifle elk hunts where we took a bit of snow and it worked great.

Both are great.

OP
fire arrow
I have an Atko and a Copper Spur 2.

Hilleberg tents are bombproof. I have had my Nallo GT3 in 60-80 mph winds last year in AK and it never budged. I would trust my life in it in bad weather.

Specifically for the Atko...in snow over 5 or so inches, it accumulates on the end and may slightly lean in...pending on the density/weight of the snow.

I had my Atko on a backpack Nov deer hunt in CO in 2010 and we took around 5-6" of snow one night. The ends would sag in and lean in on my head.

Granted I am 6'8" and take up the entire length of this tent.

The Copper Spur is a 3 season tent as you know...I like mine cuz it gives me a bit more room in the tent and I can sit up in it...unlike the Atko--consider my height here as the avg guy may be able to sit up in the Atko...but not comfortably.

Each tent has its place...4 season tents are best in super cold temps and potential snows. My Copper Spur gets the nod during archery season. Also consider your sleeping bag...a 4 season tent has the ability to be much warmer as you can close em' up. I use a Western Mountaineering Badger with a bit of overfill...its super warm and I have never been cold in it. So that can come into play as well. I have also used the Copper Spur during Oct rifle elk hunts where we took a bit of snow and it worked great.

Both are great.

Ok this is about what I thought. Will get the Copper Spur for archery elk, and if I draw a goat or sheep tag will get the Atko. What's another 400 once you have paid for a sheep or goat tag.

Rackmastr

WKR
I have an Akto and looked at the Copper Spur online as well as the MSR Carbon Reflex. Was thinking of buying a small 2-man tent that weighed similar (or less) than my Akto. The more I looked, the more I realized I really like the bombproof construction and abilities that my Akto has. If late season hunting is in the cards, I can use it. Although its not 'huge' and I'd love to have more room at times, it works very well and is a very well built tent. Not ultra-light, but its a tradeoff for me I can handle.

The Copper Spur looks like a sweet tent for sure.