Atlas Bipod question

Cole97

FNG
Recently bought the atlas PSR bipod for custom 300PRC. Mounted rail for quick detach and works flawlessly as a unit. Problem is is that even at close distances like 300 yards I’m getting high right hits like 2-2 1/2” from center. I have used different bipods on several of my other guns out to 6-700 yards with not much issue at all. I am loading the bipod and doing what I can to take hard surfaces out of the question. Hits the same from towel on concrete to grass and from legs extended. Shooting from pack or sand bags it’s center punching 1/2” groups at 300. I know I can just shoot off my pack while hunting but I’m just curious if maybe Someone may be able to enlighten me a little on something I may be missing. If it matters it is the bipod that does not have the slack in it and has no slop on the mounts left or right. My sight picture is good also from managing the recoil but something has to be off a little on my end. I know I can re sight my scope but with limited time due to just getting this gun that’s not an option with my ballistics calculator at this time. Thank you for input. God Bless.

Ens Entium

Lil-Rokslider
Recently bought the atlas PSR bipod for custom 300PRC. Mounted rail for quick detach and works flawlessly as a unit. Problem is is that even at close distances like 300 yards I’m getting high right hits like 2-2 1/2” from center. I have used different bipods on several of my other guns out to 6-700 yards with not much issue at all. I am loading the bipod and doing what I can to take hard surfaces out of the question. Hits the same from towel on concrete to grass and from legs extended. Shooting from pack or sand bags it’s center punching 1/2” groups at 300. I know I can just shoot off my pack while hunting but I’m just curious if maybe Someone may be able to enlighten me a little on something I may be missing. If it matters it is the bipod that does not have the slack in it and has no slop on the mounts left or right. My sight picture is good also from managing the recoil but something has to be off a little on my end. I know I can re sight my scope but with limited time due to just getting this gun that’s not an option with my ballistics calculator at this time. Thank you for input. God Bless.

Could be a flinch, recoil sensitivity, or issue with one of the fundamentals.

Have you shot other magnum rifles without the same issue? What is the weight of the rifle?

I have no issues with my Atlas PSR changing zero.

OP
Cole97

Cole97

FNG
No not holding the forend. Was thinking if I could get staeady I should try but I have been using off hand to steady rear bag.

OP
Cole97

Cole97

FNG
Thanks for the link. I actually had read that earlier sometime and was thinking of that last nite. Just amazes me how some rifles shoot better so differently. Guess that’s the interesting part. I’ll try it ASAP.

OP
Cole97

Cole97

FNG
I have shot other magnums and very confident it is not a flinch all. I know it could be but I don’t think so due to Consistency. Prolly one of the fundamentals I would imagine with bipod. It just don’t make sense to me how my other rifles shoot fantastic and this one don’t. BUT it is a different bipod so didn’t know if it was just my way of shooting that hinders the atlas. I will shoot some more ASAP and try few different approaches.

Not familiar with this bipod but does it swivel any to make sure the gun is level? Is the scope leveled to the gun? Using any leveling devices to make sure you’re level when shooting (bubble level on scope etc)?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
Cole97

Cole97

FNG
Yes it does have can’t feature to assist in leveling and the scope is level to gun and has level on it also.

OP
Cole97

Cole97

FNG
Shot this morning really conscious about technique and proper alignment as usual. But I think the problem was I was bearing down and applying to much pressure to load on bipod and shoulder press. I just took the slack out and applied light pressure with fingers and relaxed. 3 shots at 300 yards within 1/4 moa Results as off bags. Now I can stretch it out and test it some more. Thank you all for help and input.

Thanks for sharing. I’ve been wondering the same about bipod vs off my pack consistency. Like you I likely need to spend a bit more time with the bipod and figure it out versus wondering why!???!

OP
Cole97

Cole97

FNG
I leave Tuesday for NM rifle elk. I will carry bipod for sure and feel confident now but if time permits and terrain I will still shoot off pack and rear wedge. Crazy how some have issues with certain things. My brother bought same one and can’t get group. I showed him what I did and it still didn’t help him. I’m no teacher for sure but I thought I knew his problem. Guess not lol.

msstate56

Lil-Rokslider
When you "load" the bipod, you are not trying to force it forward, just pushing it enough to take out the slack. If you are on a smooth surface, the bipod feet should not slide forward. When you shoot off a pack- you can't "load" into the rifle. That is why you see different results. After you take out the slack- pull the rifle back into your shoulder pocket with light pressure. Do this with every shot, pack, bipod, tree branch, etc. This keeps the recoil pad in firm and consistent contact with your shoulder pocket regardless of what the front of the rifle is resting on.

OP
Cole97

Cole97

FNG
Update. I suppose I was just flat out excited and bearing down to be more perfect on technique. As well as my brother who had issues also worse than me. While on elk hunt last week we stretched them out from 530-740-1048 yards and was hitting very close to dead nuts on first shot impacts. New meaning to learn your equipment. FYI. What we found out is that at least on our guns they like to be held on target and that’s it with bipod. Doesn’t matter if it jumps off target for sight hit just don’t grip them too hard and squeeze off and letter hammer u. We shot in funky positions and no thought was takin other than speed to practice real life. Thanks guys.