Attach guy lines to stove pipe

I've got a 7.5' stove pipe from lite outdoors. I don't have anything to go over the top of the pipe that I could attach guy lines to.

Do you have any suggestions for any easy way to secure the pipe with guy lines?

Sent from my SM-G781V using Tapatalk

I've got a 7.5' stove pipe from lite outdoors. I don't have anything to go over the top of the pipe that I could attach guy lines to.

Do you have any suggestions for any easy way to secure the pipe with guy lines?

Sent from my SM-G781V using Tapatalk

A feller wonders why you would need to attach the pipe with guy lines… between the stove on the bottom and stove Jack at the top it should be prettty secure unless you have some sort of different setup…

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
S
A feller wonders why you would need to attach the pipe with guy lines… between the stove on the bottom and stove Jack at the top it should be prettty secure unless you have some sort of different setup…

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I've heard several people say that you need guy lines on the pipe if a heavy wind picks up. And since a heavy wind can pick up at a moments notice in the backcountry it just seems like a good idea.

bhylton

WKR
If your stove jack is low on the pipe, the wind has alot of exposed pipe to blow around. I make a simple loop of mechanics wire around the pipe with a couple small "s" hook hung on it. Pinch one side of the hook shut so it stays on the wire. Then use whatever cordage you have to guy it back

The loops for my roll up tent pipe...then use some key rings on it and tie paracord to it. The key ring gives enough separation to where I have not had any issues. Run 3 guy outs on my tipi and tarp both. Only times needed it a few times.

I’ve had my 8-man tipi, with a 9 foot stove pipe, in some hellacious winds. I never once worried about the stove pipe. Instead, I was more concerned about the tipi’s fabric/seams/stake-out loops, being strong enough to handle the wind. If your stove pipe sticks above your tipi, more than 2.5 feet….I’d consider cutting it shorter. Otherwise, I don’t thing there’s a need for concern.

Below is a photo of what I rigged up to guy out 4" pipe on a homemade tent stove. I wrapped pipe hanger tape around the stove pipe and pinched it in 3 places to make tabs that stick out away from the stove pipe. I then threaded a short piece of steel wire through each tab and twisted the wire into a loop and tied paracord guy lines to the wire loops. The hanger tape tab and wire loop keeps the paracord far enough away from the stove pipe that the paracord doesn't melt.
20211130_225648.jpg

Lawnboi

WKR
I’d agree it’s only needed if you have a lot of pipe out the top. Part of the reason I will not reccomend a pipe that’s a little too long, destroyed a stove jack in one trip from high winds and a long pipe.

You can make a ring that has an extra loop. The original tipi stove already had these along with nice orange tabs so you don’t lose them.

I was wondering this when it was gusting to 50 one night during my elk trip this year. Nothing bad happened and I had several feet of pipe above the jack, so I guess that’s a point for the folks who say it’s unnecessary. But I would have slept better if I had had a set up like @Mighty Mouse on my home-made jennky stovepipe. Next year.

I heard of another dude in my unit whose stove pipe blew off in the same storm—and after he sorted that out, his wall tent blew in half. Sounded hilarious/miserable.

11boo

WKR
I’ve been thru some windstorms I was sure would bring the tent down. The tent and un-guyed stove pipes survived.

OP
S
Based on the responses here, it seems as if securing your stove pipe is not that important unless the pipe is too tall. Would anyone disagree with that statement?

All based on how tall and how bad the wind is and if it is a lightweight stove. Wall tent stove never had a concern, tarp tent stove in the open in wyoming flats with a light weight stove attached I get concerned when the wind really starts howling. In the trees with something to break up the wind...no concerns for me at least. I try to play it safe because I don't want my shelter getting cooked while I am inside of it crashed out. Hot tent stoves can really destroy gear if it falls over or something contacts it when running wide open.

Poser

WKR
I have a 8 foot pipe on my Cimarron and have been in winds that ripped stakes out of the ground. I never worried about the pipe. I think the while tent would have to come down. If the winds are that high, I’d be more concerned with the trees around my tent.