Attach Pant vs Mountain Pant

I have been using prana zion for early season and attack pants for mid/late season. I really like hip vents and think all brands should make hip vents standard on pants. However, I also like removable knee pads.

I do not have experience with Sitka ascent and mountain pants in the field. Are the mountain pants warmer than the attacks? If I change over to the ascent and mountain pants I have the ability to use the removable knee pads.

My issue is I'm not sure I want to give up the hip vents. The easy answer is if Sitka just put hip zips on pants this would be an easy decision.

Sorry this is more of a rant, but anyone that has used both the pros/cons would be nice to hear.

To me the mountain pants are warmer than the attacks. The difference for me are the hip vents on the attacks. I'm not a knee pad guy, so take that for what it's worth. Yes, the easy answer is if Sitka puts hip vents on their pants. I'm sure if they do, the price would go up though. I have used or currently own almost every pant from both Sitka and Kuiu. They all have their pros and cons given the situation.

manitou1

WKR
Kings camo makes a nice pant in their XKG series that has both, hip vents AND knee pads. Called the Preacher Pant. About $110.00.
Hip vents are the cat's meow IMO. Amazing how less sweating I do when unzipped.

Hondo

WKR
The Ascent and Mountain pants are among my favorite pants but if knee pads and vent zips are a must for you then I would just get the Kuiu Pro pants with the built-in knee pad. They are more comfortable to walk in than the Mountain Pants with the knee pads in and the fabric is more pick resistant then the Attacks.

OP
F
I appreciate the feedback. I've definitely considered the SG pants. I am also considering just getting the ascent and mountain pants try them this coming season and go from there.

For what it’s worth I’ve bought mountain pants on two separate occasions and couldn’t sell either one fast enough. Kuiu attack and several others are far superior.
Mountain pants are only warm because they don’t breath well (relatively they did when they first came out 2010 ish) but not much for changes or improvements have been made since that time. Bought the first pair and hated them so sold them in favor of attacks and guides. Everyone still claims they are the best pant do bought them again and nearly instantly remembered how much more functional and comfortable you are in attacks. Mountain pants get wet easy and do not dry quickly because of the elastic, they are also heavy.
SG DeHavilland may be just what you are looking for. I think they are a bit warmer than attacks when zipped up but have the same usable upper temp range with the huge vents and also offer better water and wind resistance than the attacks with a knee pad pocket.

Honyock

WKR
Mountain pants definitely warmer than the Ascent pants. The Ascent will get you from August 1 through October 31 with a baselayer in the cooler weather. IMHO Kuiu Attack pants are about the best do it all pant that I have used.

fatlander

WKR
I’ve had both the attacks and mountain pants. I concur with the suggestions above to go with the SG dehaviland. They’re the best of both worlds, best hunting pants I’ve found to date.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk