Attaching a flip-flop recoil pad to a hollow stock?

Looking to move from the huge factory recoil pad on my Howa mini (that does not need it at all) to a flip-flop, but the butt of the stock is hollow. Any advice on how to attach the flip-flop? Thanks!

jmsdad

Lil-Rokslider
Epoxy/glue plywood (1/4"- 1/2" thick) into the stock and attach the flip flop pad to it.

Thinking about doing this to a factory Tikka T3x sporter stock...

Here's a primer on flip flop pad install I posted years ago...If you decide to pursue, please post up final results..

FWIW, the flip flop pads on those stocks pictured are still going strong with no signs of wear/collapse

• Banned
OP
Newtosavage
Thanks. Great work. I did find your how to already. Wasn't sure how it would work on a hollow stock though. I used to have an old plastic stock spacer that would have worked perfectly, but I think I threw it away about a year ago after having it around for 20+ years thinking I might use it someday. LOL

Wrench

WKR
I'd use foam and then cut flush and epoxy in place.

I like to use two colors of tape on the stock and grind to fit using the first layer as my guide.....sacrificial lamb if you will.

Follow the angles on the stock and it'll be golden.

I have a pad grinding jig, but prefer to use the two tape method as its faster and more accurate IMO.

Wrench

WKR
I have. I used some foam that was black and designed for water features. It worked well.
If the stock is clean it can only come out the back. The compressive strength is more than adequate....one just has to make sure it can bite to the stock.

• Banned
OP
Newtosavage
After removing the factory recoil pad, I decided there was enough surface area there to try and glue on the flip-flop pad. After matching the flip-flop to the factory stock (with the weird little nubs), I first tried 2-part epoxy. No deal. It didn't stick to the plastic of the stock OR the flip-flop pad.

2nd attempt was with good 'ol superglue. I had a bottle with a small brush, so I "painted on" the superglue to the stock and the pad and then stuck them together. In 10 min. I had success.IMG_3824.JPG