Attaching plate to Kowa 773

ToolMann

WKR
Well I finally did it. My Kowa 773 got here yesterday and my tripod gets here within a few hours (not that I've been repeatedly checking the UPS updates). It looks like I can either use the 1/4" or 3/8" on the TY-70 plate. The question is does it matter? Does the 3/8" screw give a more secure/stable connection?

Thanks. Can't wait to get it set up. Put the spotter on a box in my bay window last night to check it out and was amazed. This is our (wife and I) first spotter.

Well I finally did it. My Kowa 773 got here yesterday and my tripod gets here within a few hours (not that I've been repeatedly checking the UPS updates). It looks like I can either use the 1/4" or 3/8" on the TY-70 plate. The question is does it matter? Does the 3/8" screw give a more secure/stable connection?

Thanks. Can't wait to get it set up. Put the spotter on a box in my bay window last night to check it out and was amazed. This is our (wife and I) first spotter.
No real difference, I went with the 1/4 due to base on hand. If you have a ³/8 base use that I could see maybe larger shank giving some more piece of mind

OP
ToolMann

ToolMann

WKR
Ended up just using the 1/4". Seems secure. So far I love the scope and tripod. Been glassing up pronghorn bucks from my backyard that are over 2 miles away. Just trying to build the muscle memory so I don't have to think about which adjustment (tilt vs. pan) lever I'm turning.

I have had the 664, which I started with, then the 884, now the 774 and I loved them all, just didn't need the big huge 88, if the 66 would have had a macro micro adjustment I may have never changed other than the eyepiece was not great on the 66 model

Welcome to the Kowa family. I love my 554.

Rest assure that you’re the proud owner of arguably the best spotting scope for the price.

ODgreen

FNG
Like you I just got my 773 and love it, I’m currently borrowing a tripod…. What did you end up getting for a tripod/head and how is it?

OP
ToolMann

ToolMann

WKR
I got the Sirui ST-124 and Sirui VA-5 head. They are both great. I went with the heavier tripod thinking it would be sturdy at standing height in the wind. After using it in the wind I probably would have been fine with a lighter tripod and just sitting when it is windy as it is still a little shaky. I may pick up a lighter for longer backpack trips, but overall I can't complain. Love the spotter. Was telling my wife yesterday I almost wish I would have gotten something with less zoom. Sort of joking, but you can see stuff way farther than you need to.

Alaskan89

Lil-Rokslider
Congrats on the new spotter, I also bought a new Kowa 774 and it should be here sometime this week. Looking forward to using it this fall and comparing it my buddies Swarovski.

MattB

WKR
1/4" - 2/8"

3/8" > 2/8"

Pretty simple, but it won't make sense until it does.