Attaching Stickbow to your pack.

GLB

WKR
Looking for ideas on how you guys attach your recurve or longbow to your pack for hands free climbing in the hill country. I have put mine under the top flap of my ruck when not bush whacking. Need a way to attach it more vertical to get through the brush.

TomAZ

Lil-Rokslider
Due to their length, I haven’t found a good way to attach them vertically. I either take them down or simply hold them.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
GLB

GLB

WKR
I thought about making a sling for my recurve. I could sling it across my back and or under the arm along my side to snake it through brush. Move it around as needed and have hands free???

oldgoat

WKR
There's no way my bow is going on my pack unless it's unstrung and taken down. I've fallen enough times to think better of it, I'm also old enough that if I can't hold onto my bow getting through an area, I probably ain't going through it. If you listen to podcasts from Aron Snyder, he just put it over his head with body between string and bow while he was rock climbing to get into position on his muledeer here in Colorado this year.

I would only ever attempt to strap a longbow or recurve to my pack if I was hiking a long distance in open country with good footing. Attaching a 58" or longer anything to a backpack is simply going to be awkward. If I was going on a hunt where I knew I wanted to pack my bow and have hands free, I would bring a 2 or 3 piece TD bow. I would practice quick assembly and stringing. I'd have everything rigged so I could drop my pack and have the bow ready to shoot in 2 or 3 minutes actual time. I've done this in the past and I know it works. I killed my first moose with that strategy. Carry arrows in a sturdy 1-piece bow quiver or hip quiver secured to the outside of the pack.

OP
GLB

GLB

WKR
^^^ Yep breaking the bow down is very convenient for packing in the pack and having hands free. A two piece would be ideal for that. I don't like to break the bow down because I always feel I'm going to miss an opportunity, but it has been necessary at times.

Beendare

WKR
I have a wrap My packmaker made for me thats slick. Its a wrap that goes around a limb or riser and has fabric inside and velcro on the outside for the top.

Then on bottom I run a webbing strap with buckle over the limb leaving the string free. I can run another strap over the top if need be.

Tradchef

WKR
The only time I have mine on my back is when I am using my poles to climb up or down or if I have a far walk through open country to get to my spot. I run a woodsman and normally run it vertical through my daisy chain and compression straps. Otherwise it’s always in my hand.

gdpolk

Lil-Rokslider
Two piece broken down lashed to the side works the best. However that’s only for truly long distances and/or times that your hands must be free. The rest of the time I prefer to carry it by hand and just slow down. It’s hard to hunt without a weapon and sometimes things just pop up and beg to be shot. You can’t make use of the opportunities when everything you need is nicely lashed to a pack.

Blakes

FNG
Mine is almost always in my hand.... BUT, when I am snowshoeing or climbing something steep and I want to use poles I strap mine to my pack with the lash straps of the pack going between the bow and my bow quiver. Works great.

wyodog

FNG
I when I want my hands free I use a couple of methods to carry my bow. I have sling made from seatbelt material with loops on each end that is adjustable for length. It works good for glassing or trekking. I also put a loop on the bottom of my pack that I stick a limb tip into the use the compression straps on my pack to hold it in place. Both of these methods have worked well for me at times. It really depends on the terrine your hunting in.

Beendare

WKR
Another thought on this....

I have to be conscious that my bow is back there as I can't sit down with my pack on our my bottom limb tip jambs into the ground. Sort of like a bike rack on top of your car and a parking structure....../grin

I've tried turning it sideways...and raising it up higher....Ugh no....then my bow catches on everything like a big ole bull elk going through the woods- I dunno how they do it!

OP
GLB

GLB

WKR
Been playing around with a sling made out of 1" webbing. Letting the bow hang horizontally underneath just below the armpit seems to be a possibility. Carrying this way will allow you to weave the bow through brush and its easy to adjust the angle as needed.
I got the idea from a picture of Fred Bear carrying his recurve under his arm.

Attachments

• IMG_1578.JPG
    IMG_1578.JPG
    203.1 KB · Views: 62
Last edited:

Grand Passage

Lil-Rokslider
I had big plans of carrying mine strapped to my pack, but I quickly figured out that it creates too many other issues.

I would only break down or unstring my bow if my tags had been filled.

Cng

Lil-Rokslider
I have a wrap My packmaker made for me thats slick. Its a wrap that goes around a limb or riser and has fabric inside and velcro on the outside for the top.

Then on bottom I run a webbing strap with buckle over the limb leaving the string free. I can run another strap over the top if need be.

I know this post is kind of old, but I’d love to see a photo or two of this in action if you have any. Thanks!

Beendare

WKR
I know this post is kind of old, but I’d love to see a photo or two of this in action if you have any. Thanks!

I'm going make another one to go with the one I have on top....I will post a pic when I get a chance....still Accessorizing my home made tree saddle and climbing system first.

Seems to me I've seen these generic velcro straps a guy could use....actually yes, a quick Amazon search turned up a bunch
LINK

I'm in the process of making a hammock style sling for my Blacktail Legacy, Wanna carry it hands-free and protect it much as possible during the hunt.

slatty

WKR
I'm interested in this thread but have never figured this one out. I always carry it, the few times I really can't carry it I take it down and it's in the pack. I love that picture of fred bear. He probably killed something shortly after that photo.