Attack vs Timberline

bbrown

WKR
He does not like the noise the pants make when you walk - the grey material they used at the seat and legs makes a lot of noise. He also does not like the fit of them because they are very tight thru the legs (again more of a mountaineering technical type clothing). The mountains have a bit more of a relaxed fit but nothing like the Cabela's micro-tex. I have never worn the accents but I really do not have any complaints with the Mountains. They shed water very well, I don't get too hot unless its really warm and a light pair of base layers they keep me pretty warm thru the later hunts. I have used them for 3 seasons and I am in them a lot between guiding and my personal hunts and they look like new.

bbrown

WKR
Now for my next question: how true to size does the Sitka fit? How badly would I swim in them if I ordered the 34x34? I wear a 32 in everything else, and if I can shed a few of my winter pounds, even a 32 is a shade big. I highly doubt the 32 would be long enough.

I typically wear a 32 or 33 jeans and I went with the 34 and it fits perfect. I would go with the 34s - that allows for layers under and with the built in belt its easy to snug them up.

AZ Ron

Lil-Rokslider
Here is my $0.02 on the Sitka Ascent, KUIU Attack, and Sitka Mountain Pants...

Sitka Ascents: Great early season pants. Lightweight fabric, has more bells and whistles than KUIU (silicon strip on waistline, snaps to aid in rolling pants, etc), very comfortable. This tends to be my goto early season pant. Slightly cooler than KUIU Attack pants.

KUIU Attack (Original Vias w/o hip vents): Slightly heavier fabric than Sitka Ascent. Less 'bells and whistles' than Sitka, but very comfortable. Basic pant that reminds me of the original Sitka Mountain Pants (2005/06 timeframe). Very lightweight pant and comfortable pants. Very wide range of use, from early season to late season.

Sitka Mountain Pants: Fabric seems a little heavier than KUIU Attack pants; more bells and whistles, thus heavier weight than KUIU (don't remember the exact weights however), Optifade camo pattern seems lighter than the Ascents, I personally really like the kneepads. I mainly wear these pants during later season hunts. I don't like the built in belt and wish the back 'belt loop' was slightly larger to accommodate a regular belt. Tempted to sell them and buy the Timberlines even though at first I didn't think the waterproof seat and knees would be necessary, but since I mainly wear my Mountain pants later in the season, I can see the benefits of the Timberlines, although I don't think I'd like the zippered front pockets on the Timberlines.

All three pair of pants tend to snag in clingy type brush (catclaw and the like). All three dry quickly and are very comfortable to wear. KUIU Attack are no frills, comfortable pants and I like the longer inseam. KUIU are probably my favorite pant. I normally wear a 33x32 pair of jeans and have 34x34 Ascents, 34" KUIU pants (unhemmed), and 34"x32" mountain pants. All fit well and I prefer slightly longer pants to keep my boots covered while sitting, as long as they don't drag on the ground at the heel. None of these pants do while wearing boots.

Ron

OP
Lukem

Lukem

WKR
He does not like the noise the pants make when you walk - the grey material they used at the seat and legs makes a lot of noise. He also does not like the fit of them because they are very tight thru the legs (again more of a mountaineering technical type clothing). The mountains have a bit more of a relaxed fit but nothing like the Cabela's micro-tex. I have never worn the accents but I really do not have any complaints with the Mountains. They shed water very well, I don't get too hot unless its really warm and a light pair of base layers they keep me pretty warm thru the later hunts. I have used them for 3 seasons and I am in them a lot between guiding and my personal hunts and they look like new.

I typically wear a 32 or 33 jeans and I went with the 34 and it fits perfect. I would go with the 34s - that allows for layers under and with the built in belt its easy to snug them up.

Here is my $0.02 on the Sitka Ascent, KUIU Attack, and Sitka Mountain Pants...

Sitka Ascents: Great early season pants. Lightweight fabric, has more bells and whistles than KUIU (silicon strip on waistline, snaps to aid in rolling pants, etc), very comfortable. This tends to be my goto early season pant. Slightly cooler than KUIU Attack pants.

KUIU Attack (Original Vias w/o hip vents): Slightly heavier fabric than Sitka Ascent. Less 'bells and whistles' than Sitka, but very comfortable. Basic pant that reminds me of the original Sitka Mountain Pants (2005/06 timeframe). Very lightweight pant and comfortable pants. Very wide range of use, from early season to late season.

Sitka Mountain Pants: Fabric seems a little heavier than KUIU Attack pants; more bells and whistles, thus heavier weight than KUIU (don't remember the exact weights however), Optifade camo pattern seems lighter than the Ascents, I personally really like the kneepads. I mainly wear these pants during later season hunts. I don't like the built in belt and wish the back 'belt loop' was slightly larger to accommodate a regular belt. Tempted to sell them and buy the Timberlines even though at first I didn't think the waterproof seat and knees would be necessary, but since I mainly wear my Mountain pants later in the season, I can see the benefits of the Timberlines, although I don't think I'd like the zippered front pockets on the Timberlines.

All three pair of pants tend to snag in clingy type brush (catclaw and the like). All three dry quickly and are very comfortable to wear. KUIU Attack are no frills, comfortable pants and I like the longer inseam. KUIU are probably my favorite pant. I normally wear a 33x32 pair of jeans and have 34x34 Ascents, 34" KUIU pants (unhemmed), and 34"x32" mountain pants. All fit well and I prefer slightly longer pants to keep my boots covered while sitting, as long as they don't drag on the ground at the heel. None of these pants do while wearing boots.

Ron

OK, that's all dead on what I was looking to hear. I need to get in and try on the Ascents, since the Mtns aren't available, but the Mtns are what I'll prbably go with. Thanks guys!

Snipershirt

Lil-Rokslider
I'm going on my second year with the Sitka Timberlines up here in AK and thoroughly enjoy them for use above timberline. They are a bit on the heavy side but hold up in the rougher terrain. As far as noise goes, like a new pair of carharts, it fades away as they get broken in. Had the attacks but didn't care much for the large openings for the front pockets (China made models) which seem to snag on things and fill with debries...also couldn't get the sizing right. The attacks were much lighter and very comfortable but IMO, might be more suited for some of the early season hunts in the lower 48. I'm a 32x30 in pants and the sitka timberlines in 32x32 fit me perfect.