Attack vs Timberline

Lukem

WKR
I know this stuff gets hashed and rehashed, but I'm getting a new pair of pants. I have an older pair of the Sitka Ascent and want something a little heavier. I don't mind a little heavier weight/warmth, I wear Carhartt double knee's for work year round, and have learned that it's my upper body where I need to regulate temp/insulation. I like the waterproof layers and the apparent durability of the timberlines, but everybody raves about the Attacks. If I wasn't on a very limited budget, I'd order both. So, I've come down to the Kuiu Attack and the Sitka Timberline, however I'm open to other suggestions, so sell me.

And any help on sizing would be greatly appreciated too. I wear 32x34s in everything. I have a 31.5" waist and my Ascents are Medium Talls.

Thanks!

Luke

All else being equal, KUIU is cheaper, I like the camo pattern better, and I like the idea of the company better. But I don't think you'd go wrong with either. The only difference is I think KUIU makes all their pants with a 35" inseam, so you may need it hemmed.

shaun

WKR
The attack is a light weight pant looking at what you are sayin bout heavier pant look toward guide pant. I'd compare it to Sitka 90% pant

Beastmode

WKR
The timberline and attack pants are different weights of pants. I would compare the timberline more to the guides pants. I haven't taken my guide pants out very much but from what I can tell so far they seem like a great cold weather pant. They are too warm for early season hunts imo.

bbrown

WKR
I have the kuiu attacks and the Sitka mountain pants. Both are great with the attacks being better earlier and the mountain pants great for everything else. I don't really care much for the timberlines - the doubled knees and seat make noise when you are walking and they are a very athletic cut - perfect for sheep or goat but not the best for deer or elk in my opinion.
If i could only have one all around/everything pant - the mountain pants win hands down for me. I really do like the attacks as well.

Bighorse

WKR
I own both pants. The Mountain Accent pant is indeed an athletic cut. I love it. I've been waiting a long time for a pant that fits the way it does actually. The Attack paint is one I don't even wear hunting. It's just a nice comfy well designed pant.
For getting after it I'd use the Sitka Mountain Accent myself. I take out the knee cushions though. Its a wonderful pant and with the suspenders I don't really even think about it. I like gear thats thoughtless once it's on. We've got more important things to worry about than our clothing.

OP
Lukem

Lukem

WKR
I have the kuiu attacks and the Sitka mountain pants. Both are great with the attacks being better earlier and the mountain pants great for everything else. I don't really care much for the timberlines - the doubled knees and seat make noise when you are walking and they are a very athletic cut - perfect for sheep or goat but not the best for deer or elk in my opinion.
If i could only have one all around/everything pant - the mountain pants win hands down for me. I really do like the attacks as well.
That's good to hear. Mountain's were in the mix, but I didn't want my title to be long. Are the Timberlines any warmer than the Mtns? I assume the big difference is the double layers and cut, but material is the same?

OP
Lukem

Lukem

WKR
The timberline and attack pants are different weights of pants. I would compare the timberline more to the guides pants. I haven't taken my guide pants out very much but from what I can tell so far they seem like a great cold weather pant. They are too warm for early season hunts imo.
I would figure the Guide as closer to the 90%. Are the Timberlines that heavy of a material?

Beastmode

WKR
They are but you were comparing a kuiu product to the timberline. If you were going to compare attack pants to a sitka product I would compare them to the ascent pants.

If you are set on the extra layer knees and rear make sure you understand the timerline pants weigh 36 ounces. Pretty heavy...

I have 2 pair of the Sitka Ascent pants, love them for early season. Also have some 90% pants, they are good for later season, but to me they fit way different. Have yet to try any of the Attack pants but plan to soon.

OP
Lukem

Lukem

WKR
They are but you were comparing a kuiu product to the timberline. If you were going to compare attack pants to a sitka product I would compare them to the ascent pants.

If you are set on the extra layer knees and rear make sure you understand the timerline pants weigh 36 ounces. Pretty heavy...
Yeah, I just looked at the weights of all 4 pants. Even the 90% weigh in at 24oz. Guess I should've done a little more research before I asked, I didnt see the weights listed on Sitkas page before now. I feel foolish, wish I could delete my thread...

bbrown

WKR
That's good to hear. Mountain's were in the mix, but I didn't want my title to be long. Are the Timberlines any warmer than the Mtns? I assume the big difference is the double layers and cut, but material is the same?

I don't really think the mountains or the timberlines are "warmer" as they don't have any insulation to them. The material may be a bit heavier or not breath as well but if you are looking for warmer pants look at the 90%.
Although with a good set of base layers I have hunted thru 4th season in CO with my mountain pants and stayed relatively warm. My experience with the Timberlines is my buddy got his set the same time I got the mountains - he wishes he had the Mountains. Don't get me wrong the Timberlines look to be bombproof and great for above timberline sheep and goat hunts in the rocks but not the best option for everyday all season wear in my opinion.

The kryptek vallhalla's are their minimalist pant, very light and great for early season. I believe aron uses those. And then they have their heavier version as well. I haven't put my hands on those, but I'm sure they are like the Kuiu Guide pants in weight.

mdog

FNG
I have the Attack and the Mountain pants. I've tried to wear the Attack pants the last two years and they really chew me up under a pack belt. Tried Kuiu's belt and without..no help. The Mountain pants have been more comfortable. Has anyone else had this problem?

OP
Lukem

Lukem

WKR
I don't really think the mountains or the timberlines are "warmer" as they don't have any insulation to them. The material may be a bit heavier or not breath as well but if you are looking for warmer pants look at the 90%.
Although with a good set of base layers I have hunted thru 4th season in CO with my mountain pants and stayed relatively warm. My experience with the Timberlines is my buddy got his set the same time I got the mountains - he wishes he had the Mountains. Don't get me wrong the Timberlines look to be bombproof and great for above timberline sheep and goat hunts in the rocks but not the best option for everyday all season wear in my opinion.
Ok, that's what I'm looking to hear. I thought the Timberlines would be that bombproof pant. I'd be willing to put up with a little weight and temp, if they wear like iron. Really not looking for the warmth, so I'd rather not go 90%, but I know the new stuff is a lot lighter than the older version. What doesn't your buddy like about the timberlines? How well do the Mountain's wick or how does that material compare to the Ascent material (if you've ever held them)? You have me leaning toward them now. Thanks!

OP
Lukem

Lukem

WKR
Now for my next question: how true to size does the Sitka fit? How badly would I swim in them if I ordered the 34x34? I wear a 32 in everything else, and if I can shed a few of my winter pounds, even a 32 is a shade big. I highly doubt the 32 would be long enough.

jmez

WKR
For a little heavier I would go with the Mountain pants. They wick well and are just a little heavier than the Ascent.

They fit a little small IMO. I wear a 34x36 in jeans and my Sitka pants are 36 tall. I could wear the 34 inch waist but don't like a tight fit, even with the stretchy material. They come in regular and tall. You can go over to Cabelas or Scheels and try them on, they both have the Ascent and the Mountain pants fit the same.

OP
Lukem

Lukem

WKR
For a little heavier I would go with the Mountain pants. They wick well and are just a little heavier than the Ascent.

They fit a little small IMO. I wear a 34x36 in jeans and my Sitka pants are 36 tall. I could wear the 34 inch waist but don't like a tight fit, even with the stretchy material. They come in regular and tall. You can go over to Cabelas or Scheels and try them on, they both have the Ascent and the Mountain pants fit the same.
OK, thanks mez. Didn't realize they had changed the sizing system on the new Ascents, I saw that the 90% still went with the M,L,XL and figured the Ascent was still that way.