Attempted robbery

+1 on the being paranoid. I always bring things I can't hunt without inside. Glad it worked out for you!

turfking

FNG
I dont know if it helps, but I use puck locks and 2 cheap window alarms from harbor freight...the remote controlled ones. They are loud enough for me to hear as soon as the doors opens. They likely have their ways...but was told they have to drill the locks out. In all honesty, if they want it they will eventually get it. In the back of the truck I have one that works off of vibration. It is zip tied under on a long chain going under a tire and through cooler handles, so they will have to work to get it out to stomp on it. Plus a game camera shooting through back window of truck. I'm paranoid I know!

It sounds like I need to up my game a little. Coming from a rural area where we don't lock anything up ever, I thought rolling my tonneau cover across hunting gear was "secure" when hunting away from home.

OP
Mosby

Mosby

WKR
Glad you only have to replace a lock. Maybe get a cut resistant replacement?

I also second the back it up where it's hard to open. Light pole, hose, thorn bush, etc.

Got replacement locks today. They are pretty stout Master Locks and cut resistant but they aren't going to stop them. I am looking at some type of alarm alternatives for the trailer. I will figure something out. My son's house was built in the 1920's before cars were common. I have to park the truck and trailer in the street when I am here so it is out in the open.

Bottom line is I am not going to leave anything in the truck or trailer that is worth stealing or I can't quickly replace. I use his house as my base camp for hunting trips. I can be on I 70, 35 or 29 in a few minutes depending on which state I am traveling to. Nice area and convenient but it is right around the corner from some of the worst parts of the city.

Marble

WKR
Could you provide a real life example of that? Just curious.
I haven't had one of my cases dismissed with that reasoning stated (CA). But after talking to counterparts in the bay area that sounds exactly like something one of the DAs would say.

Sent from my SM-G986U using Tapatalk

Marble

WKR
For my travel trailer, I very rarely ever lock it. I leave nothing of great value in it. I have been told before by places that repair RVs the cost to replace broken door/frame is in thousands of dollars. The cost to repair the damage they would do to break in would be substantially more than anything inside.

TX_Diver

WKR
It sounds like I need to up my game a little. Coming from a rural area where we don't lock anything up ever, I thought rolling my tonneau cover across hunting gear was "secure" when hunting away from home.

That's what I did my last trip.

I have everything in my truck packed/covered though so I don't have to open the tailgate or get into the back of the truck when I get to hotels. Just grab my hotel bag off the passenger seat and walk in.

Someone could obviously come look at my truck and realize that the backseat has a sheet over it, or cut open the tonneau anyways to see what's inside, but at least I'm not flashing coolers and camo backpacks etc. at every stop. I also don't have any stickers on the car (not sure how much that helps but in september/october when you pull into a hotel in WY and there's out of state trucks covered in mud and antler stickers it doesn't take a rocket scientist to figure out why they are probably there...

That said I still bring my pistol and optics into the hotels with me. If someone does hit my truck they'll get all my camping stuff and clothing which is more easily replaced.

Squincher

WKR
I haven't had one of my cases dismissed with that reasoning stated (CA). But after talking to counterparts in the bay area that sounds exactly like something one of the DAs would say.

With enough pending cases to know DA's personally, perhaps a life of crime isn't working out so well for you.

Yeah, I know you're probably an attorney but I couldn't resist.

Marble

WKR
With enough pending cases to know DA's personally, perhaps a life of crime isn't working out so well for you.

Yeah, I know you're probably an attorney but I couldn't resist.
Actually I'm a detective.

But yeah could you imagine being a crook and having so many cases you know the prosecutors? I've had several that did...

CA laws are very frustrating to navigate through. Depending on where you live, your socioeconomic status and other identifiers, there is a very broad spectrum who or what gets charged. Its not fairly applied across the state.

kid44

Lil-Rokslider
That's BS we have to deal with stuff like this. I'm up in St Joseph and thieves are running around everywhere. If they were to have got your stuff, I would have had your back. I would have loaned you anything you needed to make your trip successful.
I was born and raised in St. Joseph, MO, lived there 25 years, moved to Kansas City when we got married. Still have family in St. Joe.

Will_m

WKR
I keep a colony of africanized bees in my trailer outside of hunting season. Generally, I only have one break in per year.