Attempted robbery

Mosby

WKR
My hunting trailer was broken into early this morning outside my son's house in Kansas City. Fortunately, when packing for my Colorado elk hunting trip, I decided to bring my riding mower to KC to drop it off for service, which then forced me to put my bags and back pack into my truck and ultimately my son's house overnight.

I dropped my mower off yesterday and only had a cooler and an old tire in the trailer and they didn't take either one. My wife heard them, woke me up and turned the light on. By the time we turned the house alarm off to open the front door, they were gone. They used bolt cutters to cut the lock off the back. The cooler is an Orca and either they didn't have time, room or didn't want it but either way, I am glad it was still there. If I hadn't loaded up my mower, I would have put my bags and Stone Glacier pack into my trailer and probably would have left it there.

No real loss. I am going to have to buy new locks but thought I would mention. It is worth the extra time to take the expensive or essential stuff out of the truck or trailer.when you stop overnight. I got lucky.

CJohnson

WKR
My wife says I'm super paranoid, but I always back my enclosed trailer into the driveway and up close to either the garage door, house, or a tree to make it hard for someone to get the back door down. I bar the side door off from the inside. Learned my lesson the hard way a few years ago.

My truck got hit twice in the same week once so I just started taking everything out of it and leaving it unlocked to avoid the hassle of replacing broken windows. We've since moved to a better area, but I don't ever take it for granted.

gearguywb

WKR
I hate a thief. Glad you ended up ok. I am paranoid as well. I don't leave guns/good coolers/etc in trucks parked overnight.

archp625

WKR
My hunting trailer was broken into early this morning outside my son's house in Kansas City. Fortunately, when packing for my Colorado elk hunting trip, I decided to bring my riding mower to KC to drop it off for service, which then forced me to put my bags and back pack into my truck and ultimately my son's house overnight.

I dropped my mower off yesterday and only had a cooler and an old tire in the trailer and they didn't take either one. My wife heard them, woke me up and turned the light on. By the time we turned the house alarm off to open the front door, they were gone. They used bolt cutters to cut the lock off the back. The cooler is an Orca and either they didn't have time, room or didn't want it but either way, I am glad it was still there. If I hadn't loaded up my mower, I would have put my bags and Stone Glacier pack into my trailer and probably would have left it there.

No real loss. I am going to have to buy new locks but thought I would mention. It is worth the extra time to take the expensive or essential stuff out of the truck or trailer.when you stop overnight. I got lucky.
That's BS we have to deal with stuff like this. I'm up in St Joseph and thieves are running around everywhere. If they were to have got your stuff, I would have had your back. I would have loaned you anything you needed to make your trip successful.

tdhanses

WKR
Where at in KC? Doubt they were after camping gear, what it would be in their minds, probably looking for tools.

TX_Diver

WKR
My wife says I'm super paranoid, but I always back my enclosed trailer into the driveway and up close to either the garage door, house, or a tree to make it hard for someone to get the back door down. I bar the side door off from the inside. Learned my lesson the hard way a few years ago.

My truck got hit twice in the same week once so I just started taking everything out of it and leaving it unlocked to avoid the hassle of replacing broken windows. We've since moved to a better area, but I don't ever take it for granted.

My rear hatch broke on an old sequoia on the way to a hunt. I had to park in some weird places to back up against poles, my motel room window, etc. for the rest of the trip to/from my area in order to keep someone from being able to open it.

Rich M

WKR
Glad you only have to replace a lock. Maybe get a cut resistant replacement?

I also second the back it up where it's hard to open. Light pole, hose, thorn bush, etc.

ohoopee

WKR
Funny story, My dad has passed so its probably safe to tell it. Guy kept breaking into his house
while he was away. Always left a note how he had kids to feed and was sorry or his car broke down.
Dad borrowed my IR game camera and determined when he was coming in. Sat in bushes for two nights around 4am before he finally caught him. He jumped from bushes and chambered a 12 gauge round. Guy had
just ridden up on his bike. He dropped bike and started running down the road. Dad said all he could
see was the bottom of his shoes as he ran. lol

colersu22

WKR
Enclosed trailer I bet they were looking for construction equipment and that's why they didn't take anything.

My father in law had his hit a few times when he had his framing company. The place he works for now someone pulled a trailer down the road and broke into it on one job, same job had a mini stolen at like 2am and I guess the neighbors didn’t think it was weird having a machine fire up at that time even though they complained every day about noise at 7am

Anyone ever played with a howler alarm on a trailer set up? I wonder if you rigged something up if it could be a deterrent.