Attention Floorless Shelter Guys!!!

Yukondog

WKR
Okay, so I may make the switch next year. Trading in my Fly Creek 3 for the Supertarp/Sawtooth. I have a ton of concerns that come along with this change.

What is your set up?

I will be picking up a Badger MF next month. I know they have a awesome DWR finish to them. If I use a Supertarp would I need to buy a bivy? I would need to pick up a zlite foam pad to go under my exped ul 7.

Is the annex a must have if you don't use a synthetic bag or bivy?

I'm really liking the Supertarp or Sawtooth because of the room and stove option. That is sexy.

What the heck do you do if you set up in a rain storm or the ground is all wet. I would not take the stove in early September, so how do you keep from getting everything wet? I can't seem to be able to wrap my head around the idea of a floorless shelter when the ground is soaking wet. Your bag gets wet and all your clothes get wet. How does this work?

Matt

I have a Supertarp, and use it with or without the annex. I put a piece of tyvek under my sleeping gear to keep my bedding dry. Everything else goes on the ground. If you are really worried about it you can always cut a larger piece of tyvek so your gear will fit on it as well.
I do not use a bivy, nor do I put another pad underneath of my air mat.
I don't think an annex is a must have, but it is nice in some conditions.
When the ground is all wet I set up the same way.

Mike7

WKR
Just bring a lightweight ground cloth. For 3 ounces of Tyvek, Polycryo, etc. you can have enough dry floor space away from the door for both your sleeping pad and all of your gear. Then you can eat, change, etc. out of the rain and sleet, and without getting your ground mat dirty and wet. I had to camp late one night on a hunt on a seeping bog in heavy rain in Washington and so just placed my ground cloth on the driest/highest areas inside the tent and put rocks under edges of the cloth so the water would run right underneath and out the other side...it worked great.

The internal condensation can be more of a problem in cold, humid weather (particularly if you don't have enough room to move around without bumping wet inner walls). This can be managed though by ventillating the shelter as well as possible when the blowing rain dies down or by firing up the stove.

If you have a small floorless shelter where you may be hitting the walls with your down sleeping bag, it is probably best to have some kind of cover (I use the 7 oz Montbell sleeping bag cover).

Lawnboi

WKR
Groundcloth, the groud dries suprisingly quick once you set that tent up, assuming your in a drier area and not in the rainforest.

luke moffat

Super Moderator
I run a bivy in my floorless shelter when not going with my wife and using a nest. Wet ground situations and getting away from the bugs is the main reason for it. I use a Neo Air short without a CCF pad with no issues. Thought depending on the season I'll take the CCF anyways to use for long sitting/glassing periods and what not.

If you are concerned about bugs in your floorless shelter a bivy is a good option to ensure none bother ya while you are sleeping. At 6 oz its worth the weight for me.

6x6

FNG
I have the Supertarp and a TiGoat tipi. When needed, I bring along a TiGoat cylinder stove. Both shelters are awesome. I would agree with all the previous posts, and just add to put a little more thought into site selection. However, with the Supertarp being so versatile in set up, you can adapt the set up to whatever your site offers. I also use a down bag, and have never had an issue keeping it dry. I think there may be an adjustment period to a floorless shelter, but I have never looked back since I switched.

I have a supertarp and a kifaru 8 man tipi. I use a WM down bag. (no bivy). Tyvek ground cloth as big as my mat. If the ground is wet. No worries tyvek comes in there.

OP
Y

Yukondog

WKR
I like all those a suggestions. At what point do you start carrying more weight by having a tarp vs tent. Tyvek is a great idea. Bivy, foam pad and the such add up quick. I will have to put some manufacturer weights down on paper and see what it all comes out to.

I really love the looks of the supertarp. The pictures Justin posted on the shelter thread are super appealing. The room in the St is amazing for the base weight of 1lb. The stove option is also exciting. I'm sure it is not as complex as I'm making it.

Matt

Yea Matt it isnt as complex. It really is lighter in my opinion in the long run going with a super .tarp or something than a tent

dreamingbig- I have always gotten my tyvek from posting on craigslist or going to a construction site. Asking guys there. For the amount that the camping guy wants people have always given it to me for free.

Chad R

FNG
Yukondog,

You will stay dry with a ground cloth as long as you don’t pitch the shelter in a depression that will collect water. The one exception could be is if you plan on using a Supertarp for two people. The Supertarp has plenty of head room down the middle. When you are off to one side you will frequently bump into the walls which will be wet with condensation at night. For two people I would recommend the Sawtooth. At a similar weight to Fly Creek 3 you will have a standing height shelter with plenty of space for gear and the addition of a wood stove. The Supertarp does have the advantage of plenty of pitching options. I like to pitch mine with a wing up during good weather.

Attachments

• CIMG1131a.JPG
    CIMG1131a.JPG
    92.6 KB · Views: 80
B

bearguide

we stated in a mega lite shelter and just cut grass and layed it on the floor . it was pouring when we did it and it still dryed out enough to work well

tradair1980

Lil-Rokslider
I have used a floorless shangrla2 in the past and just used tyvek or my bivy depending on the spring or summer or fall use . I will go back to a floorless model next year as for the ammount of floor space you gain with the wieght savings... Kifaru sawtooth will be my next puchase after hunting season this year hopefully it will happen before our late season blacktail hunt!