Attn: Non-Max AZ Bonus Point Holders

robby denning

Administrator
Staff member
If you don't have max points as a non res in AZ (which is 15 going into the draw this year) you don't have a chance of drawing the late rifle hunts north of the big ditch as all the tags are going in the 20% pass to max point holders.

If you got in the bonus point game late, then you might look at some of the new units opened for late rifle hunts in 7,17, 17A, 27, 23. They will offer a few non-resident tags.

The areas aren't traditional big buck units, but produce decent bucks and if you got in the point game and want to get out, here's your chance.

I know little to nothing about the units, but have been reading here and there about the opportunity and wanted to make sure Rokslide members didn't miss them.

Some are saying in a few years, these tags will become very very difficult to draw.

Daniel Bybee

Lil-Rokslider
This may be the year for those tags, 7 23 and 27 hold some great bucks, you just have to work a little harder to find them.

bohntr

WKR
His guys, I am in the max point pool. Are any of these units even worth considering burning max points on? My current plan is to wait out 13B or 13A for 20 years if it takes that.

If you have max points, I would wait for 13B or 13A only. While these new late season hunts have the potential to be fun, they are not even close to the Strip in terms of trophy potential and number of mature deer. I used my max points on 13B archery the very first year they offered a bow hunt in 13B......I'm glad I did, as i saw some tremendous deer.

OP
robby denning

robby denning

Administrator
Staff member
NO way would I consider leaving the max point pool to draw one of these hunts. I only posted this idea for the hunters who are less than max as a non res.

Bohntr- is your Avatar buck the AZ buck you mentioned?

If you have max points, I would wait for 13B or 13A only. While these new late season hunts have the potential to be fun, they are not even close to the Strip in terms of trophy potential and number of mature deer. I used my max points on 13B archery the very first year they offered a bow hunt in 13B......I'm glad I did, as i saw some tremendous deer.

Thanks Bohntr....I was pretty sure that was the answer I would get, but you never know when you have brand new late hunts. Thanks for the feedback.

OP
robby denning

robby denning

Administrator
Staff member
BOHNTR
thought that was him. I read your story on that hunt somewhere (MDF?) and was impressed that you took that rare opportunity so seriosly and got it done on a great buck. Seems like you had pics of another great typical (live buck) in that story.