ATV Elk Hunt

Hank 1415

FNG
Anyone have any good areas to OTC or 100% draw elk hunts with an ATV? I know the whole issue with them, just wondering if anyone knew of any good trails, areas, private land contacts, or outfitters that allow them.

OP
H

Hank 1415

FNG
Ya, I'm aware of that, I just want to be able to ride in & out on an ATV. Thanks in advance for the info. Thank you for the welcome message.

corey006

Lil-Rokslider
In Sask, Canada unless your on special lands most Govt. land has NO rules for quads, except to have firearms encased.

We used to have a "no atvs from 1/2 before sunrise to 12 p.m" BUT outfitters complained and they took that away.

I would like to see them bring rule in that ATVs can only be used for set-,up of camp, or retreieval of game.

99% of animals retrieved in sask will be whole, just field dressed.

Hardly No one carries anything out.

KHNC

WKR
Ya, I'm aware of that, I just want to be able to ride in & out on an ATV. Thanks in advance for the info. Thank you for the welcome message.
Just stay on the paved roads in most units and you will be fine. Hopefully you will get a couple honey holes for elk too. Welcome.

Find the places that all the UTV/ATV people ride for pleasure, and see what units they are in and if it is OTC or what. There will be tons out riding all through hunting season. Those areas I don't think it bothers the Elk all that much as people are riding in there all summer.

Utah. Otc and LE. You can even hunt right from your atv the middle of a wilderness area that has no roads or trails. Basically wherever you want.

It's not legal but that doesn't seem to matter to a lot of utahns.

Jaquomo

WKR
Could be old, injured, or have some other health condition, but he still wants to hunt. Of course, none of us were EVER going to face those future variables when we were 30, right??!!

The CO unit I'm hunting now is laced with ATV roads, and recreational riders hammer them all summer. Labor Day weekend was a zoo. But the elk paid no mind, kept doing what elk do, and I never saw another hunter in the woods because, you know, ATVs scare elk.. The dirty little secret is that in most places with good elk habitat where summer ATV use is common, ATVs scare more hunters than elk...

Gerbdog

WKR
Could check out Estes Park, i actually dont think you'd have to even bring a quad, i'd just hunt from the truck outside a bar. Elk fest should be anytime now. Poke the elk, grab a beer, call it a day and a great trip.

Assuming that isnt the path you take, and i wouldnt recommend it really, there are some units here in CO that have plenty of ATV access as others have pointed out but you'll need to do some research on what trails you can and cant be on. I'd offer more but dont actually know all the rules personally.

Don't want to hijack this thread but does anyone know where is can get a rollback into some good elk hunting? It would be nice to just winch the elk on the back of the truck. If you know of a place I will buy a rollback and give you free towing.

Anyone have any good areas to OTC or 100% draw elk hunts with an ATV? I know the whole issue with them, just wondering if anyone knew of any good trails, areas, private land contacts, or outfitters that allow them.
Not sure exactly where you were looking to hunt but you need to look into state laws and look into the roads and trails in the units of the state. Caltopo has a great layer for that.