ATV Gun Transport

What does everyone suggest for transporting rifles on their ATV? Use a case that mounts to the ATV or just use a good hard case strapped to the rack? Any brands or styles to avoid? Not interested in a rack, would prefer something that will keep the gun out of the dust/rain/snow/mud.

Only done it once using an ATV to get around. I put one of those sock type cases on it and strap it to my pack, which I wore while traveling.

OP
S
Thanks MuleyFever! You must be on the only guy on this forum to ever use an ATV while hunting!

204guy

WKR
A hard or soft case bungie'd to the rack works fine. Be very aware of the fact your rifle will be wider than your wheeler.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

Bolo4u

FNG
Depending on the state (Colorado comes to mind) you're in, you may be prohibited from transporting it on an ATV while the gun is loaded.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

I have Kolpin gun boots on both my atvs. I have used these for twenty years. I have seen all types on contraptions and work arounds and these work the best in my opinion. You can use them as your gun case but I leave them right on the ATV and transfer to my soft cases to transport home.

After multiple years of putting the kolpin to use on rough desert roads on an atv, I don't trust the amount of vibration tranferred from a heavy rifle to the hardware which makes the case to rear rack mounting connection. Had one shear the rear quad rack straight off off which was the final straw for me.

As a kicker, hearing a rifle rattle in the case is enough to make me cringe even if I haven't experienced a POI shift. (thank solid bases and mounts).

Only using a quality hard case secured with tie downs to the front rack anymore. I second the fact that it will be wider than the machine, but I'll slap any tyle of brush except a tree trunk with the case out front before going back to a kolpin style mount.

FWIW, this is from experience logging decent mileage on rocky desert trails which may be harsher than most conditions.